Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What's the best way to access my itunes via the internet?

What's the best way to access my itunes via the internet?
Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2005, 08:18 PM

Hi, I've been reading up on getting access to my home itunes server when I'm away, and be able to have one of my friends access it too. I was wondering if anyone here is doing this already and what sort of set up you're using.

I don't want to mess with playlists, rating etc, I just want to be able to see the library and play the tracks on a remote machine. I don't intend to copy them across, just play them.

what would be the easiest way to do this. My server is a G4 450, with the library on it, and I'd access it via a powerbook and my friend has an ibook. I have dyndns already set up.

Many thanks,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 28, 2005, 08:56 PM

Not sure what you are doing here... sharing with just one friend?

budster101
Baninated
Sep 28, 2005, 08:56 PM

Need more info first.

budster101
Baninated
Sep 28, 2005, 08:57 PM

Also: I wouldn't recommend doing any of that though. It's probably against copyright laws, what you are trying to do. Just a guess, I may be wrong here.

paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 09:23 PM

Check out Machete .

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2005, 01:54 AM

Thanks Paul, I'll look at Machete, but I'd really like something where you could either use itunes as the front end, or browse the library.

Budster, in case I wasn't clear enough, what I'd like to be able to do is play my itunes through my powerbook when I'm away from home, and have one other friend do the same. There shouldn't bee anything illegal, as I'm not trying to copy those files to another machine, I just want to be able to stream them so they can be played elsewhere when I'm not home, and so my friend can listen to my music too.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 04:39 AM

DO NOT DISOBEY THE RIAA!*

(*or else the terrorists win)

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 07:24 AM

This used to be a feature of iTunes where you could stream other's libraries over the internet. It was restricted to people on the same subnet as the server when the protocol was cracked and people were using iTunes as a P2P app.

It can still be done by creating a VPN and connecting to that but I've no experience with VPNs so I can't help anymore. Sorry. Try googling or searching here or at ARS.

meta-phor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2005, 12:44 PM

Not sure but would Slimserver do the trick? Works fine on my internal network, may be a way of doing it to stream externally. Obviously only for your own personal use such as at work though.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2005, 09:40 PM

You can set up a tunnel with ssh. The computers will think they are on the same subnet
googel for itunes ssh tunnel
this is kind of technical to set up

also try
NetworkBeacon

http://www.chaoticsoftware.com/Produ...orkBeacon.html
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

Forum Links
Forum Rules