Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Wall-mountable speaker docks?

Wall-mountable speaker docks?
slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2007, 12:42 AM

Well, I'm the last person in the industrialized world to get an iPod, and besides using it to block out the yammering of sorority girls at school, the other thing I'm excited about is cooking music.

So I want to get a speaker dock to use in the kitchen, but our counter/shelf space is pretty much exhausted. Anyone know of a decent speaker set that comes with hardware to mount it on the wall?

Thankses,
Y.

chrisdisregard
Feb 16, 2007, 05:06 PM

( Last edited by chrisdisregard; Nov 23, 2019 at 06:10 PM. )

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 11:50 AM

I poked around on iLounge and Google, and only found a few mentioned. I ended up ordering an Altec Lansing M602, which got pretty good reviews. Someone on eBay was selling several open-box models in what they called brand new condition, with original packaging and nothing missing. With shipping, I paid less than half the retail price.

When it gets here and I've tried it out, I'll post back to say how happy I am with it. The eBay seller was "shenidss9ckq", if you're interested.

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2007, 12:52 PM

I got my M602 yesterday and I'm overall pretty happy with it. It's got way more power than I need for my small kitchen, and I could happily use it in my living room. I haven't thought of any thorough tests to do, but here is real review from iLounge, who are y'know professionals and all.

I'm completely happy with the eBay transaction. iPod speaker prices always seem kind of steep to me, so I was glad to get this one for under a hundred bucks, shipped. The box was open, but everything was included, and the unit sure seems to be brand new.

One important note: the wall-mounting bracket is not included in the box. That information was probably available somewhere online, but probably not in very large print. Probably not a big deal for most people. But kind of annoying if, like chrisdisregard and me, you're choosing your speakers largely based on wall-mountability. Anyway, a coupon in the box directs you to http://www.alteclansing.com/fxwallmountingkit, where you can order the mount bracket for "free" (but you pay $3 shipping). Not sure what the rationale was for leaving that out of the box, but there it is. If you get an M602 to put on your wall, order the bracket ahead of time..

Cheers,
Y.

ecking01
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2007, 05:48 AM

This can mount under the kitchen cabinets.

http://www.ihomeaudio.com/products.a...1&dept_id=1006

Nivag
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2007, 09:31 AM

Is the wall mount a permeant fixing or can you easily remove it if you want the speakers elsewhere?

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2007, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by ecking01 View Post
This can mount under the kitchen cabinets.

http://www.ihomeaudio.com/products.a...1&dept_id=1006
Yeah, I saw that somewhere, and I suppose I should've pointed it out to the other poster. There do seem to be some advantages to that design, since when I get my M602 mounted, it'll be on the wall opposite from the counters, so the user will pretty much have to use the remote. Also, the iHome cabinet mount set has a low list price. On the other hand, the iHome has extraneous moving parts for retracting the iPod, and it looks like its speakers are tiny.

Originally Posted by Nivag View Post
Is the wall mount a permeant fixing or can you easily remove it if you want the speakers elsewhere?
I haven't gotten my wall mount kit yet, but it looks like it's just a bracket that you attach to the back of the unit, providing holes to hang it from nail/screw heads on the wall. It doesn't seem as though there'd be any reason to remove the mount bracket if you want to move the speakers around.

Forum Links
Forum Rules