Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > 2 Wi-Fi networks on one DSL IP address?

2 Wi-Fi networks on one DSL IP address?
slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2007, 09:29 PM

Now that the missus and I have MacBooks, I'm thinking of getting a new AirPort Extreme (or maybe another 802.11n router) for the fastest possible wireless networking within the house (plus 1000base-T for the older iMac).

I was thinking that instead of tossing my trusty LinkSys WRT-54G router, I could do something like this:
  1. Connect the Linksys to the DSL modem and create a totally open network
  2. Connect the APX to the Linksys via Ethernet and set up a WPA-protected network.
  3. Connect all our Macs to the 2nd network.
My current wireless network is closed, but not because I really have any problem with sharing bandwidth w/random passers-by. I just don't want strangers to see my shared printers, Drop Box, etc.

So, is this kind of nested network feasible? And is it hard to configure the NAT settings and whatnot? Many thanks.

Cold Warrior
Nov 28, 2007, 09:51 PM

one device should be your router, connected to your dsl modem

if you connect other router-capable devices, just hook them in via ethernet and configure them for ethernet bridging mode. This will allow clients to connect through them and on to the main router and its subnet.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2007, 10:04 PM

Sounds fine and wouldn't take any extraordinary effort to configure.

Cold Warrior: He would want to set them both as routers so that clients on the open network can't see his printers/shares. Just needs to set up different private IP spaces (192 for one and 172 for the other).

Cold Warrior
Nov 28, 2007, 10:47 PM

ahh, I must have skipped over that.
yes, setting up different subnets will do the trick. Just make sure you choose different ranges (192, 172) like mduell says.

scoot
Nov 28, 2007, 10:57 PM

This is the setup I have now.

1 cheap no-name $29 wireless router provides a public wireless connection for visitors, and an airport express (and now an extreme-N I snagged for $100) provide the encrypted private network for my machines.

Now once airdisk is updated to actually work, I'll be happy.
--
Scott

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2007, 11:30 PM

Awesome. I'll probably try it soon and bump this thread if I have troubles.

Hey scoot, where'd you get that hundred-dollar Airport with N?

scoot
Nov 29, 2007, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Hey scoot, where'd you get that hundred-dollar Airport with N?
I had a client who bought it for $100 from a big-box store that had mis-tagged it. Turns out her DSL box already had wireless, so we used that. I bought it for what she paid, and she saved a trip to return the thing.
--
Scott

Forum Links
Forum Rules