Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ideas for 18th B-day trip to NYC from UK

Ideas for 18th B-day trip to NYC from UK
apollo11
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2008, 04:58 AM

My son will be 18 in March 2009.

I would welcome ideas for a trip to NYC to celebrate.

He is into designer stuff and motor cars and Apple stuff big time.

Accompanying him will be me , his father age 47, his mom aged 44, and his 16 year old sister.

I thinking of a budget of about $6-7k and a break of about 1 week

Thanks for your consideration.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2008, 06:10 AM

Take him to Italy instead, where they actually know how to design clothes and cars.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 18, 2008, 06:26 AM

Well, any male Brit I've ever heard of won't thank you for taking them away to somewhere where it's illegal for them to have a pint on the day when it's finally legal for them to sup at home.
If you don't want to be eaten, stop acting like food

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2008, 07:02 AM

Apart from the not drinking part as Doof mentioned, I was there earlier this year and a couple of things that might be good is to check what's on at Madison Square Garden - I saw an ice hockey game (Rangers Vs Panthers) and it was a good night out.
I also went up the Rockefeller Center or Top of the Rock as they call it - great views of Manhattan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/urbanni...44999/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/urbanni...44995/sizes/l/

Another cheap thing to do is go on the Staten island ferry and get a free trip past the Statue of Liberty

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2008, 07:51 AM

wait. i'm lost. your son?

"Accompanying him will be me , his father age 47, his mom aged 44, and his 16 year old sister"

are you the step mom; and you are taking his birth mom on vacation? interesting.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2008, 08:05 AM

"will be me (his father, 47), his mom (44), and his sister (16)."

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2008, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
"will be me (his father, 47), his mom (44), and his sister (16)."
ah, gotcha. makes much more sense.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2008, 09:24 AM

This may sound dumb, but take him on one of those sight seeing tours. I went on one back in 97 and it was a really great way to get exposed to a lot of the city quickly.
The Normal things:
Top of the Empire State Building
The Statue of Liberty
Times Square

When I was there, there was a really really big Virgin record store that is worth checking out simply because of the size.

Outside of The Cathedral of St. John the Divine, there is an amazing statue that is really worth seeing I highly recommend it.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2008, 09:46 AM

go to USA for 21st. Barcelona for 18th.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2008, 09:51 AM

Depends on what experience you're looking for. You can do all the normal touristy stuff, some of which is fun, or you can do your own thing and explore the city on your own, or some combo of the two.

That said, it will probably be a lot more interesting if you get off the beaten path.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

misc
Jul 18, 2008, 10:17 AM

See as many Broadway shows as you can.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2008, 09:18 AM

For me the Apple store in SOHO is still the best, Battery Park, Brooklyn Heights Promenade, walking through Central Park, Lombardi's Pizza, Chinatown Brasserie, all the little shops Greenwich Village. Like someone else said, try to get off the main touristy areas. Just walk aimlessly. In the daytime there isn't really anywhere you need be worried about your safety, and in the evening just stay below 100th street and you will still be fine.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2008, 11:23 AM

Walk by the 5th Avenue Apple Store, but go into the SOHO store. If he's into cars a lot, New York will be disappointing, unless he like Ford Crown Victorias. Driving in New York City verges on insanity. If you're comfortable in big cities, then go out and do some exploring on your own. New York has so much to see and do, and for its size it isn't too hard to find your way around.

If he just wants to see a ton of awesome cars, take him for a drive across Europe from Munich to Maranello in a proper GT car (Aston Martin, 650Ci, etc.).

Ratm
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2008, 08:07 PM

Take a trip to the South Bronx. It will change your life...or it could take it but either way you'll never be the same again.

Don't just go to the tourist spots. Take a trip out to Queens (Astoria Park) the view from the park of the TriBoro Bridge with the city as the backdrop, is amazing and one that few tourist see. Go check out Brooklyn and yes the Bronx. What I love about NYC in the summer time is they always has something going on....like street fairs (cute girls everywhere), SOHO, local art galleries (what was the meat packing district. very trendy now), South street SeaPort, Harlem, The New Yorican cafe.

Restaurants: Colombian , Brazilian, Cuban, Indian, Jewish (Katz Deli in Delancey) they have best pastrami sandwiches.

Oh and if you get a chance, Shakespeare in the park.
( Last edited by Ratm; Jul 20, 2008 at 08:18 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules