Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Single ram chip in a 1st Gen Macbook

Single ram chip in a 1st Gen Macbook
Nivag
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2008, 08:00 AM

I've just picked up a 1st Gen black MacBook that as got a failed ram socket. It starts up with only 1 chip in and the removed chip works ok, so I know it's not the chip causing the problem.

My question is, if I buy a single 2GB chip will this MacBook recognise it? I know the graphics card will not be running the best without paired ram. But 2GB in this machine has got to be better than 1GB I would of thought.

Any ideas?

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2008, 05:53 PM

I think it should recognize it. Even though it's not paired, I'm sure you'll notice an improvement with a 2gb stick.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2008, 06:34 PM

BoingoBongo is right... it's a stick, not a chip.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2008, 11:12 PM

Yes, 2GB in one slot is fine.

Nivag  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2008, 01:14 PM

Cheers for the info.

As for the stick rather than chip, I've spent years dumbing things down so clients understand what I'm talking about and calling it a chip makes more sense to them.

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2008, 04:25 PM

I have a first gen macbook pro. I can run 1*2GB or 2*1GB but not more. If it contains a 2GB stick the other slot has to be empty or it won't boot.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 5, 2008, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nivag View Post
Cheers for the info.

As for the stick rather than chip, I've spent years dumbing things down so clients understand what I'm talking about and calling it a chip makes more sense to them.
I feel for you. I used to have to dumb technical stuff down so that airfield managers could understand why a telephone problem could impact air traffic control radios (phone lines connect the controls and audio systems between the tower and the radios themselves). Now I have to shift back and forth between clinical language among healthcare providers and "simplified" language with patients. I'll bet people who sort materials for recycling, people who paint street numbers on curbs, and street sweepers have this same problem. But it's a pain, ain't it?

On topic, I would expect that a 2GB stick is as large as you can go in a 1gen MacBook. While it's possible that a larger capacity stick could be recognized, it's not likely that the memory controller could use more than 2GB of it anyway.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules