Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bug List For 10.3

Bug List For 10.3 (Page 6)
1c3
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2003, 04:30 PM

Didn't want to read through everything.

But I have encountered a quite annoying bug. Some icons changes to something really weird. Like an Apple Script icon and the Photoshop 7 icon mix. And onetime it looked like a screen shot!!

And when this was happening the warning symbol in the alert meassages was changes to an iSync icon...
Mighty3k @ #MacNN

Phranken9
Dec 3, 2003, 10:43 AM

Read through the list, didn't see this one.

Majority of the time that I'm in the Finder, I'm in column view, and while trying to select a single file from the right-most column, a single click will actually select many files. Very annoying while trying to select something inside of the Applications folder, I'll accidentally open 5 or 6 different apps, or if they're just folders somewhere else, instead of browsing with my single window, it will open tons of new windows in List view.

I'm using a Logitech mouse and 10.3.1

etnoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 04:08 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by garyp:
[B]Here is one almost nobody else has:

I can't get the hard drive icons off my desktop. I can check & uncheck "Hard Disks" in Finder Prefs->General->Show these items on the Desktop, but my hard drives just sit there! My install was an upgrade/install, but I did a virgin install of Panther on an erased partition to check this bug and it was still present.

I have the same problem--even after a clean install. Only in my case, my Power Mac 867's internal drive icons hide, but my external Firewire drive icons refuse to leave the desktop. Not a big deal, but I'd love to fix it.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2003, 08:19 PM

All I know is that Panther seems to miss mouse clicks like crazy. I go to click the red close button, and the window does nothing. Go to click it again, and the window minimizes as if the title bar is double-clicks.

Also, WTF is with OSX and list views in the Finder? Click on an item and move the mouse slightly which normally selects the name of the item so that you can rename it. Panther? A long friggin wait, then you can rename the item. Icon view is instantaneous!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

ponami
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2003, 03:41 AM

I have a USB drive 128meg that worked perfectly before in 10.2.8. Now it hangs the computer until I unplug the drive.
My mac experience is as bad as using a windows machine.

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2003, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by etnoc:
I have the same problem--even after a clean install. Only in my case, my Power Mac 867's internal drive icons hide, but my external Firewire drive icons refuse to leave the desktop. Not a big deal, but I'd love to fix it.
Answered your own post there... this isn't a bug - the external drive is just that, external. Therefore it falls into the class of mountable media such as CDs/DVDs etc. If you don't want that FW drive to appear on the desktop, uncheck the CDs, DVDs and iPod box in Finder>Preferences>General.

The bug here is that Apple has worded the preferences poorly. Where it says Hard Disks, it should say Internal Hard Disks, and external HDs should be added to the CDs, DVDs etc list.

drjoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2003, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by JKT:
Answered your own post there... this isn't a bug - the external drive is just that, external. Therefore it falls into the class of mountable media such as CDs/DVDs etc. If you don't want that FW drive to appear on the desktop, uncheck the CDs, DVDs and iPod box in Finder>Preferences>General.

The bug here is that Apple has worded the preferences poorly. Where it says Hard Disks, it should say Internal Hard Disks, and external HDs should be added to the CDs, DVDs etc list.

Well, maybe. However I have an internal scsi drive hooked up to an adaptec PCI card that I use as an independent spindle for my virtual memory files and it is marked as an ejectable drive in the finder. However when i click on it it does not spin down nor does it make struggling noices as it tries to escape from the case. ;-) . It just disappears from the list of drives in the finder. Sounds like a bug to me.

drjoe

MUGlover
Dec 8, 2003, 12:24 PM

I have read all pages and I have a new issue. I upgraded to 10.3 and then to 10.3.1 and the Dec. 5 Security Update.

It took me a while to learn that I can't open a Finder window and dig through icon views to my application, then double-click. The app starts and then goes away. This does not happen if I use the Finder window in its column view with Sidebar, click the Applications folder, and in the next column over, click the app I want to start. I guess this is the way it works now.

The reason I guess is that Help will not - ever - start up. From any app, the Help Viewer window appears and goes away. I get a message that Help Viewer unexpectedly quit. I notified Apple about this one.

The only other bug I have is:
DVD Player has an Info window available under Controls, in two sizes. But now that I have it displayed, I can only change between the two sizes, but I can't make it go away. Usually choosing a Show command again will reveal a Hide command. I don't see that in DVD Player. For now I drag the green text window off to one side so I can see the movie. I will tell Apple about this one also.

MUGlover
Dec 9, 2003, 03:13 PM

Okay, I found the DVD Player solution online. The menu command for turning the Status window off is in the Window menu, though I turned it on in the Controls menu. Perhaps this user interface problem will be fixed later.

Still, Help will not load. Has anyone used Cocktail to fix this or other cache problems?

uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2003, 05:57 PM

Finder-related: while playing with my finder preferences today I ntocied that the "Applications" option in the sidebar prefs was unchecked, even though Applications was inf act on my sidebar. When I checked it, it unchecked itself again after doing a little shuffle in the sidebar. I dragged applications out of the sidebar so that it went poof and then checked the option again. This time it stayed checked but the Applications item in the sidebar was now the Applications "A" superimposed on a folder icon. Hmmm. I closed finder and opened the prefs again and once more, Applications was unchecked. I checked it again and this time the proper Applications icon showed up in the sidebar and the option remained checked.

Also, when I click on view options I get a very long window even though there are two options.

My desktop shows up momentarily before the login dialog after wakign from sleep: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=192682

And lastly (for now), my trackpad settings always revert back to center no matter how many times I set them.

MUGlover
Dec 11, 2003, 12:02 PM

Okay, I have the Help working in 10.3.1 and no problems. The Apple Discussion Board was actually helpful. There is a Helper there listed as Dr. Smoke. He has a 10.3 book coming out and was very good at troubleshooting problems with Help, fonts, and permissions.

The most likely culprit shutting down my Help was a third-party Help file, either from Palm Desktop 4.0 (no problem with 4.1) or FileMaker Pro's ODBC package, a Help file called DataDirect Help.help . Or I just needed to trash the three .plist files dealing with Apple Help.

(Oddly, after trashing the Palm Desktop Help folder that came with 4.0, I have the new style of Help available when I use Palm Desktop 4.0 again with no problems.)

Anyway, the Help screens in 10.3 are much improved and I have no bugs to report now. I guess when I use Mail some more I will have some .

Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2003, 10:22 AM

UT2003 seems to be a little buggy with 10.3.2
Random crashes, crashes when changing levels.
IMHO

movabi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2003, 09:07 PM

Panther & Finder

Does anyone else think the finder blows?
If not, I need help.

Here is my scenario:
Today I had a folder on my desktop of various graphics files. There are 4,182 items and the folder is 300 mb. I accidently let go of the mouse while trying to drag the files into the trash. It started moving all 4000 some files to the desktop. I tried to stop it from happening by trying to click stop, but the finder became unresponsive. Its like it had to finish moving every single file before I could have any control of the finder. The dock became very unresponsive... bobing up and down very choppy. I can't access the apple menu and switching between apps is very slow. I waited for minutes. It finshed and I did an undo copy from the menu. That was at 2:52. It is now 4:26 and i still have a dialogue box on my desktop saying "Preparing to Undo move to pix2". Is this the way the finder is? Does anyone esle have crap like this happen? Is there a maximum file size for folders?

I mean, I have it in my head that this should be a fairly instantaneous event. Its not like i'm even copying them... i'm just moving them. I have 67gb free on the startup drive... I HAVE 1.5 gig of ram... I have 2 one gig processors. I feel like i'm on a mac SE30 running system 7.

I'm running OS 10.3.2. Does anyone have any answers for me? I'm beginning to have serious doubts about apple... unless this problem is happening to me only. Once again, its not like i'm calculating pi or trying to render some animation. Its just moving files. And it does this doggy behavior all the time for me.

If you have some advice let me know

PS also I've discovered that in list view in the finder, you can no longer crosshair marquee files to select and shift select like in jaguar and also OS9...

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2003, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by movabi:
Panther & Finder

Does anyone else think the finder blows?
If not, I need help.

Here is my scenario:
Today I had a folder on my desktop of various graphics files. There are 4,182 items and the folder is 300 mb. I accidently let go of the mouse while trying to drag the files into the trash. It started moving all 4000 some files to the desktop. I tried to stop it from happening by trying to click stop, but the finder became unresponsive. Its like it had to finish moving every single file before I could have any control of the finder. The dock became very unresponsive... bobing up and down very choppy. I can't access the apple menu and switching between apps is very slow. I waited for minutes. It finshed and I did an undo copy from the menu. That was at 2:52. It is now 4:26 and i still have a dialogue box on my desktop saying "Preparing to Undo move to pix2". Is this the way the finder is? Does anyone esle have crap like this happen? Is there a maximum file size for folders?

I mean, I have it in my head that this should be a fairly instantaneous event. Its not like i'm even copying them... i'm just moving them. I have 67gb free on the startup drive... I HAVE 1.5 gig of ram... I have 2 one gig processors. I feel like i'm on a mac SE30 running system 7.

I'm running OS 10.3.2. Does anyone have any answers for me? I'm beginning to have serious doubts about apple... unless this problem is happening to me only. Once again, its not like i'm calculating pi or trying to render some animation. Its just moving files. And it does this doggy behavior all the time for me.

If you have some advice let me know

PS also I've discovered that in list view in the finder, you can no longer crosshair marquee files to select and shift select like in jaguar and also OS9...
No, it's not just you. The stop button in the Finder is often the kiss of death for me. Especially when copying to an iDisk. I had to force-restart my machine the other day when I tried to stop an upload of a single 4 mb file to my iDisk. When I tried to force-quit the Finder aftr it became unresponsive, the whole machine beachballed.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2003, 08:57 AM

Shutting down a remote machine while one of its volumes is mounted still beachballs my Finder. Weird part-- I logged out, and in as another user, and finder was happy. Logged back in to my main account, still beachballed. wouldn't even launch the finder. Just beachballed at the dock and nothing would launch, so I couldn't log back out again. Had to force-restart.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

movabi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2003, 02:17 PM

No, it's not just you. The stop button in the Finder is often the kiss of death for me. Especially when copying to an iDisk. I had to force-restart my machine the other day when I tried to stop an upload of a single 4 mb file to my iDisk. When I tried to force-quit the Finder aftr it became unresponsive, the whole machine beachballed.

I have to force restart all the time. Especially when force quit freezes.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Dec 20, 2003, 10:27 AM

2 big bugs

17" imac

crashes every time i start up with usb card reader in port 3

finder goes mad if i try and select and drag more than 8 items into a folder . it quits and the starts again

bring back jag !!

malique
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2003, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by eddiecatflap:

2 big bugs

finder goes mad if i try and select and drag more than 8 items into a folder . it quits and the starts again

bring back jag !!
My finder crashes every second time I want to move more than 1 icon anywhere.

// This is a short post containing a really annoying bug, Apple. //

ɕɕɕ *°* for it is a human number. it's number is onethousandandtwentyfour. *°* ͋ƺ

Dual 1.8 // Dual Display // Dual Ears // Dual Nuts // Dual Everything

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Dec 22, 2003, 03:52 AM

..if you turn OFF 'show icon preview' on the desktop , that fiexes the bug..

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2003, 02:51 AM

A very common issue apparently.

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

movabi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2003, 04:43 AM

i don't seem to have that option in my finder prefs... I can't find either... did i do a simple install or am i looking in the wrong place?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2003, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by movabi:
i don't seem to have that option in my finder prefs... I can't find either... did i do a simple install or am i looking in the wrong place?
You're not looking at the right place.

It's not in the Finder prefs, but the Desktop View Options.

Here's the deal:
- Go to the Finder.
- Click on your desktop.
- Go to the menu: View > Show View Options (or simply cmd-j)
You will now see a check box for "Show icon preview". Deselecting this option supposedly "fixes" the bug.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2003, 07:04 AM

Chris v

Before shutting down a remote machine you first have to "eject" any mounted volumes.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2003, 07:11 AM

I just wish Panther would remember my preference for column view in the Finder when I Go Network. It always opens in Icon view and I have to go through the hoops to get to column view.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2004, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by geekwagon:
On a 23" Studio Display as icons show up on my desktop (from downloads, drive mounts, whatever) they will go down the right side of the screen and pile up in a little corner at the bottom right. They never start a new row to the left of the first one. This bug has been there since the first WWDC build. None of my Powerbooks do this so I think it must be related to the 1200 pixel vertical resolution on the 23".
This exact problem happens with me as well. It is so annoying.

Also, highlighting text with my mouse (to copy or cut) requiresd multiple attempts.

This is by far and away the buggiest, or at least the most annoying, OS X release.
( Last edited by spacefreak; Jan 1, 2004 at 12:57 AM. )

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 04:20 AM

When two users are logged in on my PowerBook (fast user switching on), and the 'book goes to sleep: on wakening up the PB I switch user (enter my password), get to the wake-up-from-sleep screen of the second user, enter my password again, and then no matter what I do, after about 15 seconds or so the screen goes black again, and after another 10 to 15 seconds the PB goes to sleep. Re-awake the PB, re-type password, and third time's the charm.

Especially strange when the screen goes black while Mail is checking my mails and wants to know for the 100'000th time if the SSL certificate is really OK � no matter what you klick or do, it will go black (enter, command-., escape etc. all do nothing).
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Jan 3, 2004, 12:54 PM

..also , and it's not a bug , but very annoying , why no preview in the open/save dialog box ?

..we had it in 9 , thayre so limited in x

..ya know , i'm getting bored with x , it's a bit of a joke imho , new ideas dont equal better ones

WHY OH WHY don't apple just 100% copy the grateness of 9 and stick unix under the hood ?

..if it ain't broke , don't fix it !

cnarayan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2004, 04:08 AM

Accounts in System Preferences crashes after update to 10.3.2. I hdid not have this when I upgraded to Panther. I wonder if it has something to do with fast user switching.

Date/Time: 2004-01-05 00:08:19 -0800
OS Version: 10.3.2 (Build 7D24)
Report Version: 2

Command: System Preferences
Path: /Applications/System Preferences.app/Contents/MacOS/System Preferences
Version: 2.2 (2.2)
PID: 416
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

HELP !!!!

G5G5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2004, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
All I know is that Panther seems to miss mouse clicks like crazy. I go to click the red close button, and the window does nothing. Go to click it again, and the window minimizes as if the title bar is double-clicks.
Yes, that is happening to me and a friend.
I don't even know what keywords to use
to seek out answers.

The mouse pointer is not actually focused
on the hot point seen on the screen.

The easiest way to trigger this bad behavior
(for me) is to pop open a Safari bookmarks
folder, then while it's opened to move the
mouse over another bookmark folder and
click. Various parts of the oval containing the
bookmark text for all the bookmarks now
either work or don't! I've gotta click all around
inside it (horizontally) to have the click "take."

To clear the probem momentarily, I have to
click on nothing, either in the top brush metal
or in the Safari window on nothing that's
clickable (no hyperlink).

My friend and I both have MX700 Logitech
meeses using the latest driver downloads.

How about youz?

It's not affecting most things for me, but it
sometimes affects scooping within a 'wish'
app, missing what the mouse should be
selecting. I've never seen it affect my
selections in an Xterm ot Mail.app.

[ Dual titty G5, Panther 10.3.2, software
updated. ]

antisonne
Jan 20, 2004, 06:57 PM

Has anyone noticed that after a while Finder will start eating up resources, real bad? A relaunch of finder fixes it... Then sometime later its back to the way it was...

mcblue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2004, 03:04 AM

I often get a momentary Mac OS Questionmark folder after restarting Panther. It stays on the screen for a second and then boots the OS. Is this normal or unusual on a restart. I was not expirencing this problem with Jaguar. My system boots fine after the initinal �?� Folder icon dissapears.

--
mcblue

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2004, 06:33 AM

Originally posted by mcblue:
I often get a momentary Mac OS Questionmark folder after restarting Panther. It stays on the screen for a second and then boots the OS. Is this normal or unusual on a restart. I was not expirencing this problem with Jaguar. My system boots fine after the initinal �?� Folder icon dissapears.
I haven't seen that on any of my Panther Macs, so I doubt it's normal.

Try this. Go to System Preferences -> Startup Disk and select the icon for the Panther system folder. Reboot. Does the ?-folder still appear?

mcblue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2004, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
I haven't seen that on any of my Panther Macs, so I doubt it's normal.

Try this. Go to System Preferences -> Startup Disk and select the icon for the Panther system folder. Reboot. Does the ?-folder still appear?
Thank you that fixed the problem!
I no longer get the ?-Folder...
mcblue

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2004, 06:30 AM

Originally posted by mcblue:
Thank you that fixed the problem!
I no longer get the ?-Folder...
Glad I could help.

Sometimes pref settings like these can get lost (especially when you update the system). Going back and setting them again most often solves the problem.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jan 29, 2004, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by chris v:

CV
I found the cause of this...its the webdav daemon that runs in the background, it gets stuck and takes the entire Finder down with it. This happened to a friends of mines computer, I was able to fast switch to his wife's account and quit the webdav app that was running under his account, switched back and his account was fine. WebDav just kills the 10.3 Finder along with most network tasks, and large (# of files) copies. One thing that needs to be fixed is that even if the server is slow the Finder UI shouldn't grind to a halt.

techweenie1
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2004, 03:39 PM

I don't know if anyone in this thread has mentioned this, but there is a bug with Apple Remote Desktop (Client) and 10.3, when trying to login to >Console with Apple Remote Destop On in the sharing control panel, it kicks you out of the >console and leaves you hanging at a blue screen. Here's another discussion about it.

http://forums.osxfaq.com/viewtopic.p...1a39aae0f8f121

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2004, 03:53 PM

ARD is one of the worst Apple apps I've ever used. I'm going to switch over to VNC here...it's free, too.

techweenie1
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2004, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by macgyvr64:
ARD is one of the worst Apple apps I've ever used. I'm going to switch over to VNC here...it's free, too.
Plus it works on PCs

Forum Links
Forum Rules