Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > AT&T intros cheaper, capped data; iPhone tethering with 4.0

AT&T intros cheaper, capped data; iPhone tethering with 4.0
slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2010, 09:12 AM

Unlimited is gone on iPhone and iPad. $15/mo. for 200 MB, $25 for 2 GB. Tethering announced, additional $20 if you have the 2 GB plan.

Current iPhone owners can keep the $30/unlimited, even if they upgrade.

This will save me money, especially on the missus’s line, since she probably never goes over 200 MB in a month. But I’m annoyed in principle, since every other U.S. carrier has been making unlimited plans cheaper.

Here’s AT&T’s announcement and here’s the MacRumors article about existing unlimited users being grandfathered in.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2010, 09:15 AM

AT&T intros cheaper, capped data; iPhone tethering with 4.0

Finally, welcome to the real world AT&T.

Notably, all of the plan changes take effect on June 7, the same day as the WWDC keynote and when Apple is expected to unveil the new iPhone.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2010, 09:15 AM

Snap.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 2, 2010, 09:23 AM

I'm more impressed that they're shafting the iPad unlimited already.

Also, I'm sick of the disingenuous "cheap" plan. 10x less the data and not even half the price. Really. Thanks for that offer.

On a semi-related note: I caught that Skype will be charging for Skype-to-Skype calls over mobile after the end of the year. Didn't see that coming.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2010, 09:37 AM

My bill will actually drop, but still over-priced for 3rd rate service.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2010, 10:55 AM

I wonder if this story will get into the national news cycle. Promising unlimited data and then revoking that promise after a month is, well, hella-lame. Of course, there are more important things in the world to be concerned about, but nonetheless. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2010, 11:11 AM

It seems especially egregious in the iPad case because of what you just said. They just made a big deal of how great the iPad plan was (well, Apple made the big deal for them, but they let it happen).

Also annoying: this seems like it would save me money based on my prior iPhone data usage: I don’t think I’ve ever even hit 500 MB in a month. But I didn’t tether and didn’t have a 3G iPad. Now that I can and do, respectively, it actually seems plausible that I’d reach or exceed the 2 GB cap.

-Q-
Jun 2, 2010, 11:32 AM

We had two threads posted on the same topic at almost the same time, so I merged them into this new Ultra thread.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 2, 2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
We had two threads posted on the same topic at almost the same time, so I merged them into this new Ultra thread.
Thanks.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2010, 11:45 AM

My wife and I hover around 150-300 megs each per month. I'm thinking we might go for the $15 plan and see how it goes. If we go over we go over. Over the course of a year it will probably save us money over the $25 plan. Especially if we're a little mindful of our data usage.

What could you be doing on an iPhone or iPad to hit 2 gigs a month? Streaming music every day, all day?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 2, 2010, 11:48 AM

I think it'd have to be Netflix. Possibly Skype with front-facing cameras (in the future).

-Q-
Jun 2, 2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
What could you be doing on an iPhone or iPad to hit 2 gigs a month? Streaming music every day, all day?
I've had a few months where my data use has spiked due to traveling for work and having to download some large attachments for review/approval.

I'm sure now that tethering will be available, data usage will also increase as you use share the connection with your laptop where necessary.

Lotus Esprit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2010, 03:45 PM

At the iPads introduction back in January, Steve Jobs refereed to AT&T's data plan offerings for the iPad as being phenomenal. I am wondering what Apple's response to this will be if any.
My Phone Gets Its Wallpaper From SmartPhone Wallpaper

andi*pandi
Jun 2, 2010, 04:09 PM

Downloading the Wired app?

(ba-dump-ching)

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2010, 05:31 PM

I think the writing is on the wall, and the iPhone is coming to another carrier. My guess is that they will let AT&T have the big launch this summer (with no mention of being on another carrier) and then bring the iPhone to Verizon in the Fall.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

-Q-
Jun 2, 2010, 05:35 PM

I think the writing is on the wall, and the iPhone is coming to another carrier. My guess is that they will let AT&T have the big launch this summer (with no mention of being on another carrier) and then bring the iPhone to Verizon in the Fall.
I haven't kept up with Verizon's 4G roll-out - will they have enough coverage to make an LTE phone viable in the fall? Or will Apple wait until next year for a Verizon announcement when they can roll out an LTE phone on both Verizon and AT&T?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2010, 05:39 PM

AT&T made Steve look like an ass (the equine). The only appropriate punishment is the release of the Verizon iPhone.

Sell your AT&T stock if you have any.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2010, 05:52 PM

Fu at&t

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2010, 10:25 PM

Has anyone heard if the tethering will be wireless?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2010, 11:43 PM

Wait, their users are only using 2GB and they're still having all these network capacity issues?

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
Has anyone heard if the tethering will be wireless?
Should be BT or USB; no wifi.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 3, 2010, 07:32 AM

I have no idea how much data I use in a month. I'll have to look into this quite thoroughly, especially since we're looking at getting my wife her own iPhone soon (replacing a "not quite smart" LG phone). She uses a lot less data than I do, but that's with a mobile phone browser and email...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2010, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Should be BT or USB; no wifi.
Garbage. I don't imagine either of those ways will get my ipad online...

I'll jailbreak if I have to, I'd prefer not to. To the point of paying the extra $20 a month.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I have no idea how much data I use in a month. I'll have to look into this quite thoroughly, especially since we're looking at getting my wife her own iPhone soon (replacing a "not quite smart" LG phone). She uses a lot less data than I do, but that's with a mobile phone browser and email...
glenn: are you on att? There's a way to view your data usage history. (text stolen from some website)

In your browser, navigate to wireless.att.com
To the right of the menu across the top, click Log in
Enter your phone number and password, then click Login
Beneath the menu bar at the top, click on Usage & Recent Activity
Near the center of the page, click on View Past Data Usage

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2010, 11:11 AM

What really sucks is that if you go over your 200mb on the lower plan, you get another 200mb for $15 instead of being switched to the higher plan. And on the higher plan, if you go over your 2gb you are charged $10 for each gb you go over. I don't understand how they came up with these overages.

However, I may be switching to the 200mb plan even with these inconsistencies. Here's my data usage:

I figure that I can get by most months on the 200mb plan, and if I go over it usually isn't by much so I'd be charged the same I am now. Only question will be if my data usage will go up with OS4 and the new phone, so I think I'll be waiting until then to make any changes to my plan.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 11:29 AM

I give it a year before AT&T hikes the rates back to what they were before.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
I haven't kept up with Verizon's 4G roll-out - will they have enough coverage to make an LTE phone viable in the fall? Or will Apple wait until next year for a Verizon announcement when they can roll out an LTE phone on both Verizon and AT&T?
I'd do it in a heartbeat if Apple could somehow force a CDMA unlock so that the phone could be used on Verizon, Sprint, Nextel, or MetroPCS. The last thing I want to do is buy an iPhone that's completely useless if I want to change carriers. At least with the AT&T iPhone I can unlock it and use it with someone else, even if all the features don't work. I can use the AT&T iPhone in Europe.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2010, 12:04 PM

I just realized AT&T grandfathered customers on the unlimited plans because if they didn't, they could dump AT&T without paying the ETF.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2010, 12:06 PM

Yup.

I still can't figure out if this move was designed to try to keep customers or lose them. Probably both.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 03:13 PM

Agreed.

On the "keep customer" side, Blackberry users on AT&T are probably thrilled. I'd imagine the vast majority don't even come close to the 200mb cap.

On the "lose customer" side, we've crushed AT&T's network like the rusty tin can that it is with our iPhones, they'd probably be happy if some heavy data users quit in disgust.

I did like one response to this, which was along the lines of "I feel AT&T is like a spouse who beats me, but I stay because of this beautiful iPhone child we made together."
( Last edited by subego; Jun 3, 2010 at 03:24 PM. )

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2010, 03:14 PM

Sadly, outside of tech blogs which are largely outraged over the elimination of unlimited data -- mainstream news outlets have positive titles like "AT&T reduces prices on data plans". So, I'm not sure there is going to be widespread pressue on either AT&T or Apple to provide a remedy. I'll just buy an EVO when Wimax hits NY. I found out today from Sprint that the $30 tethering charge is NOT part of the 2 year contract--so you can add or remove it from month to month just like an iPad plan. So, super slow AT&T 3G limited data or unlimited 4G connection? I think Sprint is about to make a comeback.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 3, 2010, 03:25 PM

glenn: are you on att? There's a way to view your data usage history. (text stolen from some website)

To the right of the menu across the top, click Log in
Enter your phone number and password, then click Login
Beneath the menu bar at the top, click on Usage & Recent Activity
Near the center of the page, click on View Past Data Usage
Can’t you just go to Preferences -> General -> Usage? Doesn’t that exist in American iPhones?

(Of course, you have to remember to reset that every month, but other than that …)

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Sadly, outside of tech blogs which are largely outraged over the elimination of unlimited data -- mainstream news outlets have positive titles like "AT&T reduces prices on data plans". So, I'm not sure there is going to be widespread pressue on either AT&T or Apple to provide a remedy. I'll just buy an EVO when Wimax hits NY. I found out today from Sprint that the $30 tethering charge is NOT part of the 2 year contract--so you can add or remove it from month to month just like an iPad plan. So, super slow AT&T 3G limited data or unlimited 4G connection? I think Sprint is about to make a comeback.
You mean the 4G EVO that has a battery life of just a couple of hours? Good luck with that.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
You mean the 4G EVO that has a battery life of just a couple of hours? Good luck with that.
Ouch! True that. However, the hotels/houses I stay in usually have an electrical outlet as do many commuter buses. I don't use my iPad out in a park or in a coffee shop with no free wifi very often at all so for my uses it will be fine. I can see that being a concern for others though.

I wonder what the battery life will be like while tethering on the next iPhone? My guess is not good either.

zacharace
Jun 3, 2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Agreed.

I did like one response to this, which was along the lines of "I feel AT&T is like a spouse who beats me, but I stay because of this beautiful iPhone child we made together."
Best line I've heard so far. I guess, from AT&T's perspective, this is a good move, although they did significantly slight Jobs with the iPad data move.

From what I've read, the media--including the Times--is mostly positive/passive, if anything. Non-techies, like someone said, just look at the price reduction. The principle is what matters here: it's all in the details.

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2010, 07:37 PM

I found out today from Sprint that the $30 tethering charge is NOT part of the 2 year contract--so you can add or remove it from month to month just like an iPad plan.
This will also be the case with AT&T's tethering. You can also switch between the 2 new plans month to month, and even retroactively convert the 200 MB plan to the 2 GB plan if you go over and catch it before the end of your billing cycle. Presumably you still have to have one of these two (or unlimited if you're grandfathered in), if you're using a smartphone.

I don't think this is an entirely negative thing. Like I said, this'll save me some money: I doubt my wife is going to go from her <100 MB usage to over 200 MB, let alone 2 GB anytime soon, even with Pandora streaming in the background. (Will that even work on her 3G?). I use my iPhone all the frickin' time, and I usually hover around 250 MB. I may use more as new cool technologies come out, but I doubt it's going to be above 2GB every month any time soon.

I think the main good criticisms are the tethering charge and the ridiculously fast flip-flop on the iPad plan. As I've seen a few people mention, charging extra for the tethering might make a teeny bit of sense if the plans were still unlimited: AT&T expects your average usage to go up and adjusts accordingly. But when you're capped and you get an allotment, why the hell should you pay AT&T extra to split it between devices?

And I wonder how much advance notice Apple had on the iPad plan switch. Can't imagine they're happy about it.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2010, 07:50 PM

Ouch! True that. However, the hotels/houses I stay in usually have an electrical outlet as do many commuter buses. I don't use my iPad out in a park or in a coffee shop with no free wifi very often at all so for my uses it will be fine. I can see that being a concern for others though.

I wonder what the battery life will be like while tethering on the next iPhone? My guess is not good either.
I don't even mean with tethering enabled. Every review I have seen says the battery can't even last a full day without using any real taxing features.

I wish it wasn't like that, because I think it would be a great competitor to the iPhone otherwise.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 3, 2010, 09:14 PM

I hadn't seen that before, just the minutes. So here's my (obviously modest) usage:

Looks like I can get by with the $15 package if I want, and my wife certainly can.

Still, for $10 more a month, I could surf my brains out on that phone...

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2010, 11:14 PM

Garbage. I don't imagine either of those ways will get my ipad online...

I'll jailbreak if I have to, I'd prefer not to. To the point of paying the extra $20 a month.
Same as it ever was: you can't tether an iPhone to the iPad -- Engadget

Engadget confirmed that I'll probably jailbreak my os4 iPhone as well.

Especially now that I'm paying for a finite amount of data, you're going to tell me how I can or can't use my allotment? Charging me extra for something that should be a basic service is dumb. Not letting it share the wireless via wifi is dumb.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2010, 08:26 AM

The fact that most safari pages reload when their tabs are brought back to the top is not helping anything.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I don't even mean with tethering enabled. Every review I have seen says the battery can't even last a full day without using any real taxing features.

I wish it wasn't like that, because I think it would be a great competitor to the iPhone otherwise.
Yes, I've heard that as well. I guess you can't stick a 4 inch screen on a phone without consequences. Android itself isn't terribly power efficient either. The speed of the network is very tempting though. There won't be an iPhone on a 4G network for at least another year if not more.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2010, 12:32 PM

There won't be an iPhone on a 4G network for at least another year if not more.
Verizon sells a 4G adapter for the iPhone.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2010, 03:15 PM

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2010, 03:47 PM

Why does everyone seem to think this is better? It's not.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2010, 04:06 PM

arstechnica: we show you ours please show us yours

iPhone data usage: we show you ours, please show us yours

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
How much data are you using?

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2010, 05:31 PM

Are you reading what they say? I think everyone who says something positive about the new plans has pretty clearly and explicitly said why. Not to mention it’s been rehashed in this thread.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2010, 05:42 PM

How much data are you using?
close to 5GB/mo

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Are you reading what they say? I think everyone who says something positive about the new plans has pretty clearly and explicitly said why. Not to mention it’s been rehashed in this thread.
They say it's cheaper, mainstream media is especially passive on the issue. If they're going to charge per byte, then why are they charging an additional $20 just to tether? Why should it matter how I use the bytes once I've paid for them? I understand an additional fee associated on an unlimited plan to be able to tether, but in a data-capped plan it makes no sense - I've paid for 2GB, let me use it how I will.

I'll keep my unlimited plan, thanks.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 4, 2010, 05:44 PM

close to 5GB/mo
How?!?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2010, 06:21 PM

close to 5GB/mo

I have used 8.8 GB.

Combined in all the 23 months I have owned my 3G.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 4, 2010, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
close to 5GB/mo
How?!?
Yes, how have you used that much data via 3G? I'm not sure how much time I spend on 3G, but most places I'm at for any length of time have free WiFi, which is tons faster than 3G anyway. What is it you use all that traffic for?

Forum Links
Forum Rules