Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Any Mac users out there Veterans?

Any Mac users out there Veterans?
MacTheRiverRat
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2008, 12:18 AM

77-80
2nd 70th Armor -Fort Stewart,GA
Fco 40th Armor - Berlin

Many moons ago!
Life of working on a Mississippi River Towboat
Apple 2, Apple 2e, Mac 128-k , PowerPC 6115, Imac 233, ibook 900 Mhz
Now an Aluminum 13" 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB SDRAM

Helmling
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2008, 12:46 AM

Methinks this does not belong in the Political Lounge.

You wanted just the regular lounge, good man. I'm sure one of our kindly moderators will relocate this thread there shortly.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 10, 2008, 09:39 AM

That sort of depends on what he wants out of the thread...

23 years of USAF service here, in ATC, TAC, AETC, ACC. Stationed in Mississippi, Texas, Panama and Honduras... How's that for variety?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2008, 10:22 AM

77 - 88 USAF SAC. Stationed in Colorado, NC, California, Arkansas.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2008, 11:06 AM

this shouldn't be in the pol lounge

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2008, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
That sort of depends on what he wants out of the thread...

23 years of USAF service here, in ATC, TAC, AETC, ACC. Stationed in Mississippi, Texas, Panama and Honduras... How's that for variety?
Glenn, care to translate what these acronyms mean for those of us not in the know?

As for me, no military service. Although my father was in Korea (post-war) as part of the US reconstruction efforts. He was in basic training three days after getting his civil engineering degree and went to Korea with the Army Corps of Engineers. My step-father was in the 11th(?) Cavalry during the mid 60s. He was a horseman first and soldier second so when the Army did away with mounted cavalry her left the service. But, while in the service, he spent most of his time in Germany doing horse-back patrols of the border between East and West Germany. (And his father was a Chef de Train in WWI, managing the transport of horses by rail around France for use by the military.)

I worked with a contractor for about a year who was a former USAF F-4e Phantom pilot in West Germany. He was in an always-alert (?) squad that flew planes equipped with nuclear bombs in case of nuclear attack from Russia. If they got the orders to launch he had pre-assigned targets inside East Germany on which to drops his nuclear bombs and he was to do that no matter what. As he phrased it, delivering the bombs was his mission, not delivering the bombs and getting back to base. And, according to him, he almost did that in 1977. His squad had been given the alert and launched and were in East German airspace with armed nuclear bombs before a commander from the base broke radio silence and aborted their mission as a false alarm. (He told me that many years later he found out that Russians troops in East Germany had briefly crossed the border into West Germany which precipitated the US government to launch his alert squad into East German airspace.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Mr_E
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2008, 01:58 PM

USN - Various locations throughout my tour- 1987-1997.
Electronic Warfare Tech

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2008, 03:28 PM

USAF Pararescue
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

real
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2008, 03:32 PM

With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 10, 2008, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Macrobat View Post
USAF Pararescue
PJs are the craziest people! Except for EOD, of course. Thanks for your service! (I was in the 342nd TRS when PJs and others transitioned from 19th AF to 2nd AF for training...)

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Glenn, care to translate what these acronyms mean for those of us not in the know?
USAF = United States Air Force.
ATC = Air Training Command (now under a different name) - Responsible for all enlisted acquisition training (basic training) and all technical training Air Force-wide.
TAC = Tactical Air Command (also now under a different name) - A combat command responsible for "tactical" combat, such as fighters and close air support.
AETC = Air Education and Training Command (same as ATC but with extra duties)
ACC = Air Combat Command (the bastard child of merging Strategic Air Command and TAC under the command of TAC (and the reason the Air Force had those little "oopsies" with losing track of 6 nuclear weapons a while back...))

One reason I tend to be kind of wordy here is that I spent about half of my time as an instructor, teaching all sorts of complex stuff to people as young as 17 and without any real technical background...I not only did the stand-up teaching, but wrote texts and such too. It's a habit that's very hard to break.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2008, 05:51 PM

USAF, 1967 - 1971. Served in Turkey, the frozen wastelands of Michigan's Upper Peninsula (through one winter of course), and Taiwan. Completed the Defense Department Journalism School and was primarily a Base Historian and newspaper reporter, in the Public Information Office.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 10, 2008, 07:52 PM

My father served in the US Army in the seventies. He served at White Sands Missile Range, NM working on the guidance for the Spartan missile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIM-49A_Spartan

A close relative served in the US Navy, retired as a Captain. Has an office in the Pentagon.

A close relative served in the IDF and another in the Israeli Air Force.

I'm not disclosing how close, but it's immediate and near-immediate.

I have never served.

I thank you all for your service.
( Last edited by vmarks; Dec 10, 2008 at 07:59 PM. )

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2008, 11:38 PM

USN '77 to '83
MM1(ss) Nuclear, USS Jacksonville, SSN 699, LA Class Fast Attack Submarine
"The Bold One"
macforray

Cold Warrior
Dec 10, 2008, 11:47 PM

US Army for a bit with a tour in Iraq.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2008, 12:49 PM

Did not serve, but should have.

Kudos to all of you that did.

finboy
Dec 22, 2008, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Did not serve, but should have.

Kudos to all of you that did.

Same here. I was enlisted AF Reserves (AFROTC scholarship) for 24 months before my Honorable Discharge (for blowing out both feet by running on them). Since nobody shot at me I don't think that counts.

However, I have taken the oath to protect and defend the Constitution. And I've never taken that back.

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Jan 5, 2009, 07:49 PM

Usaf

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 5, 2009, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by MacManMikeOSX View Post
Usaf
What did/do you do?

Forum Links