Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 and dual monitors?

G5 and dual monitors?
lacrymology
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 12:14 PM

I have a 23" cinema display and a run of the mill VGA monitor that I would like to plug into my G5 (whenever it arrives). My question is simple:

Is this a simple plug+plug? Or do I need an adapter?

My old dual G4 had a video card with a DVI port and a VGA port, but it's unclear if the G5 is the same.

Thanks in advance.

-m

Hydra
Senior User
Sep 26, 2003, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by lacrymology:
I have a 23" cinema display and a run of the mill VGA monitor that I would like to plug into my G5 (whenever it arrives). My question is simple:

Is this a simple plug+plug? Or do I need an adapter?

My old dual G4 had a video card with a DVI port and a VGA port, but it's unclear if the G5 is the same.

Thanks in advance.

-m
My G5 came with a DVI-VGA adapter I think. I think it's in the box, I'll check when I go home. But yes it's plug and play and should work as all the G5's cards have dual display ports (one ADC and one DVI).

-Jerry C.

lacrymology  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by Hydra:
My G5 came with a DVI-VGA adapter I think. I think it's in the box, I'll check when I go home. But yes it's plug and play and should work as all the G5's cards have dual display ports (one ADC and one DVI).

-Jerry C.
Awesome! I couldn't find a listing that mentioned that the DVI->VGA convertor was included. That should work perfectly for me then.

ADC Port -> Cinema Display
DVI Port -> Convertor -> VGA monitor

Now all that I need is the computer.

-m

Hydra
Senior User
Sep 26, 2003, 01:59 PM

I just got home for lunch and popped open the G5 box and it has the DVI-VGA connector cable. That should be all you need. Now the question is why would you want to hook up a run of the mill VGA display to you beautiful new G5 next to your 23" CD?

Forum Links
Forum Rules