Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Need FACTUAL statements... on speed = Parallels vs. VMWare Fusion

Need FACTUAL statements... on speed = Parallels vs. VMWare Fusion
bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2008, 01:53 AM

Please, only those that have used both programs need to reply.

I'm looking at statements around the web that say that VMware is faster....no no no.. Parallels is faster.... no no no... vmware.... and on and on and on. What I'm looking for is for someone who has both current versions of the software to please tell me which one you find faster. I'd like to narrow the field by adding that Im running on a current MB w/ 4gb of RAM and a new 5400rpm 160gb drive. I'll be running xp w/ service pack 2. Please don't respond if you just have one or the other and just want to say what you think. I'm lookng for someone who can say they have it and can say with certainty that one or the other is faster.
Which gives more speed doing regular mundane tasks?

Which uses less of the hardware resources?

Thanks,
Bishop
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2008, 08:22 AM

I'd say they're both pretty close. You may get better responses if you posted this in the correct forum.

My $.02 is that fusion was faster when I tested both out, but I suspect that parallels may have caught up. I know in fusion you can utilize both cpus and parallels you cannot (at least couldn't, I don't know if that changed) This alone increases the performance of fusion.

Regardless, I think the speed difference is small at this point and go with the product you like the best. They both have good and bad points

Cold Warrior
Jan 24, 2008, 08:23 AM

I've moved this to Alt OS.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2008, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by bishopazrael View Post
I'm lookng for someone who can say they have it and can say with certainty that one or the other is faster.
Which gives more speed doing regular mundane tasks?
Here is an answer to your question. The results are interesting and sometimes unexpected.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 24, 2008, 09:10 AM

Pierre is right-some of those results ARE unexpected. I find it very interesting that Parallels and Fusion sort of swap back and forth as to which is faster for a variety of applications. Even more interesting is how the different Macs that were tested performed, with some test numbers coming out VERY different based on both which virtualization and which computer was used. This is VERY good reference stuff!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules