Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > GPU temperature in new PowerBook

GPU temperature in new PowerBook
lars-man
Dec 20, 2005, 05:37 PM

Hello,

I'm sitting in front of a new 15" PowerBook (the model with the 1440x960 display). But when I have a look at the graphic chip's temperature I get a little bit nervous because Temperature Monitor (version 3.2) always shows values in the near of 100° C (200° F). I think this is a little bit to high, but the fans don't even come up. All the other values from the CPU sensor etc. are okay (45-50°C/113-127°F). Should I be concerned? The Hardware Test CD indicates no errors.

In fact I wanted to hook an external display to the PowerBook, but I'm a little bit afraid.

Regards, Lars

PS: I should add, that Temperature Monitor sometime jumps between values from 60°C to 100°C (130°F-200°F). I this okay or Temperature Monitor just not adjusted to the new PowerBooks?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2005, 05:48 PM

It sounds like the temperature probe on your GPU is bad; I wouldn't worry about it.

lars-man  (op)
Dec 20, 2005, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
It sounds like the temperature probe on your GPU is bad; I wouldn't worry about it.
I activated the iTunes Visualizer and now Temperatur Monitor shows values round about 50-70° C. Hmm, strange, but somehow it works ;-)

Regards, Lars

a2daj
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 09:12 PM

The default iTunes visualizer is more CPU limited than GPU limited. When I use the default visualizer on my Dual 2.5, CPU usages jumps to around 120%. When I use a plugin which uses the GPU (in this case Gaslight), cpu usage drops down to the teens.

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2005, 09:23 PM

Is the temperature updating in real time with the software (for the CPU, power supply, etc) and your latest PB? It was well known that the temperature sensors in the previous PB's would only report the temperature when the machine was last booted (or restarted?). Is this the case with your machine?
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2005, 09:32 PM

Never mind - looks like they made a change to correct the above issue...I will have to look back at these apps!
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

Forum Links
Forum Rules