Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Postscript Fonts in OS 10.2.8

Postscript Fonts in OS 10.2.8
crabsandbeer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2003, 10:06 AM

I'm sure that this has been discussed before but I'm new here. My company just upgraded our systems to OS X and it doesn't seem to like postscript fonts. Does this mean that I can't use my embarrassingly large collection of typefaces? I have very few TT fonts. Any suggestions? Thanks and have a great holiday!
Me Fail English? That's Unpossible!

R.W.

himself
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 08:57 PM

OS X in general is very sensitive to font files of all types, and a damaged font can cause stability problems.

That being said, OS X has no problems dealing with PS fonts (in theory). It is also able to handle pretty much any font format for both Mac and Windows (or so I'm told), but my collection is limited to the standard Macintosh formats.

Exactly what problems are you having with your fonts? What font management application are you using?
( Last edited by himself; Dec 24, 2003 at 06:25 PM. )
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

crabsandbeer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2004, 11:22 AM

I've tried loading a PS font family (Univers) in the various font folders, i.e. Library-Fonts, User-Library-Fonts etc... but when I open Quark 6, Photoshop CS or Illustrator 10 they don't show up. The fonts are fine in OS 9.
Me Fail English? That's Unpossible!

R.W.

Corys
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2004, 08:41 PM

are you placing the fonts themselves in the correct folder? and not just the folder univers?

the screen and printer fonts need to be in the main fonts folder, they can't be in subfolders AFAIK.

I have done this with a few fonts and it's all worked fine.. Be sure you have both the printer and screen fonts going in there as well.
www.prepressforums.com
News & Information for the Prepress Industry

himself
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 02:43 AM

Originally posted by Corys:
are you placing the fonts themselves in the correct folder? and not just the folder univers?

the screen and printer fonts need to be in the main fonts folder, they can't be in subfolders AFAIK.

I have done this with a few fonts and it's all worked fine.. Be sure you have both the printer and screen fonts going in there as well.
Yep, the screen and printer files need to be in the same folder as the font suitcase file. If that is the case, and the fonts are in the proper directory, there should be no problem. If you are still having problems, it is possible that you have a corrupt font, like I explained earlier. You'll need to either reinstall you fonts from the original files, or get a font repair utility (Font Doctor is great) to check and repair your fonts.

I know it sucks, but OS X is notoriously sensitive to "damaged" fonts (even minor damage), so take every precaution.
-John Crichton

himself
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 02:50 AM

Another note:

I'm not certain if placing your fonts inside a folder within one of the library/fonts folders will make them unreadable... as far as I understand, all font suitcases and their associated files need to be dumped loose in the library/fonts folder. I don't know for certain, I keep all of my fonts organized on a separate volume, and managed with a font management utility (extensis suitcase).
-John Crichton

Forum Links
Forum Rules