Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > router instead of airport card

router instead of airport card
b00tang
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2004, 11:16 PM

I want to add my FP imac to a 802.11g wireless network. With normal airport cards growing rarer and my computer not being compatible with airport extreme I'm thinking that maybe just buying a router might be easier? or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about? Can I buy something external at a decently low price (70 bucks or less maybe???) that would connect through either my ethernet or usb port and let me get on the wireless network here?
I can't seem to find an exact answer to this question in the forums (I think I am supposed to know this already... I guess I missed the boat on wireless)

sorry for the dumb question
ipod why have you forsaken me?!?!?!

f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2004, 11:24 PM

You don't want a router, but a USB access point.

b00tang  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2004, 11:43 PM

ok what if i buy a WAP then? I know its point is to distribute the signal, but can't you plug a computer into a airport base station and get onto a wireless network through it for example?
or is a USB access point the cheapest and most efficient way to go?
thanks for humoring my foolish questions
ipod why have you forsaken me?!?!?!

f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2004, 12:02 AM

A USB access point is going to be significantly cheaper (and less bulky) than an AirPort Base Station.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 02:19 AM

From the way you phrased your question, I understand it to be you wanting to join an existing wireless network instead of creating one and having everyone connect to it. If that is indeed a case, you'll need a device that allows you to participate in a wireless network, the most typical being a Wireless card (e.g. Airport). Since that isn't one of your options, you could consider getting a USB-to-WiFi device, but there have been very few success stories about this. You might bump into D-Link's DWL-122, a USB device that acts like a wireless LAN card, but Mac performance and reliability is shoddy at best. If you're able to get one with a money-back guarantee, it may be worth a shot.

Another solution would be Belkin's 802.11b Wireless USB Network Adapter (F5D6050). It costs about $50 and Mac drivers are available. I found it from this thread.

Getting a WAP will only work if you can configure your WAP to join the existing network. That means configuring it as a bridge to basically extend the coverage to where your Mac is. However, bridging is not a universal standard, so one vendor's implementation can vary greatly with that of another.

Forum Links
Forum Rules