Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > defect???

defect???
shakai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2006, 10:24 PM

i've just got my 15 in. powerbook G4 today...and it already froze 3 times...so i called the support line and they told me that i could reinstall the OS...so i did...but it even froze up half way during the installation...anybody know what i should do now???thanx alot...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 5, 2006, 10:28 PM

Run the apple hardware test.

tooki

shakai  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2006, 10:32 PM

how do i do that???sorry...i'm new to mac...

nuggetman
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2006, 12:01 AM

insert your original mac os cd that came with the machine
hold option after the startup chime, choose apple hardware test from the boot menu

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2006, 12:26 AM

I had an issue in similar aspects. I could not get my mail. Just that everything else worked but Apple mail. I called Apple care and they said reinstall so I did. Nothing still didnt work. So I went to the Apple store and talked to one of the Genius' and they tried to reinstall in case I didn't do it right. well still didn't work so I got it to work on 4 of there computers in the store. We got a new set of discs out of another 15" PB box and low and behold it worked just fine. Bad disk or something. If there is nothing wrong in the hardware test then you may want to experiment with thus just to check?
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

shakai  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2006, 01:15 AM

ok...i'll try the hardware test right now...anyways, i reinstall the OS again and it was successful this time thru...but it froze right away when it showed the welcome video(the one that has welcome in different languages)...so i had turn off the power and restart it again...so far i've been using it for at least 30 mins...i hope it does freeze again...is it just me, or is it that mac have more problems compare to pc...

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2006, 04:48 AM

much less problems in my opinion and according to consmer reports they have the best hadware as of now. You have to remember that a computer no matter who makes it has millions of parts ie the display alone on a 15" has about 1.3 milion transistors that could go bad. Those odds are not good no matter who makes it, and that is just the display. One thing that you have to be thankful for is that no matter what, you only have to send it to one company for all your hardware and software if there is a problem not several. But you could just have a bad C.D. I say that just because it happened to me, and because of the new ram in the PB or something that Apple has done the install C.D. is 12" specific or 15",17" specific. I tried to see if I could install it onto my iMac to see if it was the software when I had the problem but could not. so if you have another mac and you want to put it into firewire mode it is not going to work (God knows I tried). It has to be a 15" or 17" specific install disk. After I got the new disk I have not had any problems what so ever, and it has been almost a month.

shakai  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2006, 05:29 AM

ok...i think it's my bad that i forgot to tell u guys that i also installed 1 G of ram...the brand is kingston...and i just read one of the post and the person had the same problem as me and he also used kingston...so i guess it's gotta be the ram...

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2006, 06:38 AM

Take out the RAM and see if it works.
Linkinus is king.

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2006, 10:47 PM

Also did you get the correct kind?

shakai  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2006, 01:05 AM

no i didn't...the one that i got was something like KVRXXXXXXX...after doing some research...i think the correct model # for kingston is KTA-PB 533...correct me if i'm wrong

shakai  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2006, 01:08 AM

btw...after uninstalling the 1 G ram that i added on myself...my computer worked fine

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2006, 02:58 AM

Here is a link to good priced Kingston RAM. This is the typ that you are going to need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubmit=Property

this is another link directly from kingston. This is the type that you need.

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...=KVR533D2S4/1G

The model number is.......... KVR533D2S4/1G............

shakai  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2006, 06:58 AM

that's the one i bought in the first place...kingston KVR533D2S4...it doesn't work with mac...u have to get KTA-PB 533...PB stands for powerbook...anyways...thanx for all the replies

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2006, 11:58 AM

Great..sounds like Apple tech support is about as good as Microjokes. Instead of spending the time to help resolve the problem, reinstall?

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2006, 04:30 PM

You are right. My bad. I wonder why that is? It should just be the standard though. Hmmm. I will have to do some more research now. I have to know how that works LOL. Let me know if everything works alright cause I need to get a stick of ram as well. Thanks.

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2006, 11:43 PM

by the way did you put the 1gig in with the 512? I know that the ddr2 is very tempremental when it comes to brand. you should try useing the 1gig and take the 512 out see if it works. I don;t know if this will work but it is worth a shot. If you can't do this let me know cause I have to do it and will test this before I go to Iraq.

shakai  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2006, 08:31 PM

i've already returned the 1 gig memory...now i'm just waiting for my new memory since it's a specia order...in terms of kingston...since their model # KTA-PB 533 memory is made especially for the powerbook...i guess all the other memories made by kingston won't work...or else they wouldn't need to make a model just for the powerbook...

cjq999
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2006, 12:28 AM

what is the phone number for Apple customer support. I can't find it on their website. thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules