Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X and SMB file sharing

OS X and SMB file sharing
MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2006, 12:09 PM

I have OS 10.4.6 and I am on a windows network. there are a couple of servers that have shared music and videos and what not and I am trying to connect to some of them but am having some trouble. If I have the IP I can connect just fine, but if I have the shared name I can not connect I do not know why. For example the network admin tells me that the name for the location of the shared music is {//sharedfolder/music$} so in XP I go to run and put that in and it pops up. In OS X I go to GO then connect to server I put in {smb\sharedfolder\music$} and it says it can not find it. If I open up a finder window go to the network and find it manually it says it can not find the origional item and gives me the option to fix alias. This is something that has bothered me and I cant seem to get any answers. Also if I use an IP for the location instead of the name I have no problems connecting to the folders. Is there a way to look up the IP for those that I dont know the IP? Any help would be appreiciated. Tank you in advance.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

Thorzdad
Jun 12, 2006, 02:34 PM

Can we assume you have Active Directory access enabled via your Directory Access utility? (or however it's done in 10.4.6. I'm referencing my 10.3.9 box right now)

Watson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2006, 03:48 PM

You could try to use Go>smb://sharedfolder/music$ from the Finder.

If your network has a domain controller, or if the workgroup name is not the default "Workgroup", you may want to use "/Applications/Utilities/Directory Access" to edit the SMB/CIFS configuration. Ask your network admin for the Workgroup/Domain name, and for the LAN IP address of the WINS server. Select SMB/CIFS from the Services tab in Directory Access, click on Configure, and enter the information your admin gives you.

Click on OK, and hopefully you will be able to access the smb share.

Forum Links
Forum Rules