Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > window stuck in corner

window stuck in corner
b00tang
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2003, 01:22 PM

I figure this is more a os problem than an application problem but if i am wrong my apologies. I have alarm clock pro and what the problem is is that the window for the application always appears shoved in the upper left corner of the screen. It is all the way up there meaning that its title bar is underneath the menu bar. It has no borders or anything to grab to in hopes of moving it and I can't get it out of the dang corener (which is really agravating). I have tried every simple thing I can think of... does anyone have any idea or know anyway to fix this? I would show a screenshot of it but I don't know how to put pictures in the forum?
ipod why have you forsaken me?!?!?!

hunkhuang
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2003, 07:28 AM

Well, I faced this kinda problem before..so as Microsoft Windows.
Normally if i faced this kind problem.. i will shut the application/browser off.. the shortcut is

apple key + w

i hope this can help!!

b00tang  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2003, 10:33 PM

sadly i tried that (i actually have apple - w mapped to a button on my mouse because i use it so much... great way to kill pop ups back in the day), and for some reason because it is the main window it won't let you close it. It is just so strange... quiting won't help, trashing prefs won't help unless there are 2 prefs files and i only know of the usual 1 ( does os x store window position info somewhere???) resizing screens doesn't work... it just zips back up there... i even tried moving it in the pager in codetek virtual desktop and it just jumpes back to that damn corner... so strange

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2003, 11:31 PM

Start praying that Panther will have window borders?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2003, 08:11 AM

Try changing your screen resolution to something else. This sometimes resets windows to their proper position. After you move the window to the middle of your screen try putting the resolution back to what you want...
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2003, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by b00tang:
trashing prefs won't help unless there are 2 prefs files and i only know of the usual 1 ( does os x store window position info somewhere???)
window position should be stord in the com.appname.plist file in your ~/library/preferences folder. Is that the one you deleted?

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

b00tang  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2003, 09:33 PM

yes, i had tried changing resolutions and for a moment when i dropped the resolution very low the window jumped to the middle of the screen, but within seconds jumped back to being to far up in the left corner. As far as preferences, the closest thing to preference files it has go under its companies name (koingosw) and strangely, after erasing all of them, the window still remains where it was AND all of my weekly alarms are still stored in the app somehow. Maybe there is a preference file still lurking that I can't figure out to associate with this file. Anyone know how I could find it.
(and the reason I am not bugging tech support about this is because its an older version of the software that I prefer to the newer versions the company has since moved on to...)
Thanks for all your ideas though everyone

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2003, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by b00tang:
Maybe there is a preference file still lurking that I can't figure out to associate with this file. Anyone know how I could find it.
Make some change in the app and quit it. Then search your had disk by files modified today and sort them by modification date.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Lordx_
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2003, 12:26 AM

what about cmd Q? Seems like an obvious solution, but the previous poster only said cmd+w.

What is the name of the application?

Forum Links
Forum Rules