Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Is this the reason Bush is president?

Is this the reason Bush is president?
version
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 06:11 AM

Funny video on how some americans know little of the world, and might be the cause for voting in Bush.

http://www.informationclearinghouse....rticle4562.htm
A Jew with a view.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Sep 22, 2003, 06:22 AM

heh. I took a glance at that home page:

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/

...it looks like it belongs on the checkout counter newsstands side-by-side with the papers that talk about "Abducted by Aliens" and "I had Michael Jackson's baby"
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

version  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 06:25 AM

And that means what, exactly? You can dismiss the message, and the messenger, but it just shows obfuscation, and avoidance.

oh, btw, we don't really need the some parts of the US public to highlight ignorance, all we have to do is listen to Bush in interviews. Now, who was the leader of Pakistan? Lol, he couldn't get that right, a world leader, I think you now the rest of his lack of knowledge.

The village idiot became president.
A Jew with a view.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Sep 22, 2003, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by version:
oh, btw, we don't really need the some parts of the US public to highlight ignorance, all we have to do is listen to Bush in interviews. Now, who was the leader of Pakistan? Lol, he couldn't get that right, a world leader, I think you now the rest of his lack of knowledge.

The village idiot became president.
Alright, without looking it up, please name the elected leader of Malaysia. If you don't know it, clearly you'd label yourself as you've labeled Bush?

version  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by moki:
Alright, without looking it up, please name the elected leader of Malaysia. If you don't know it, clearly you'd label yourself as you've labeled Bush?
Am I running for President? Am I wanting to be responsible for world decisions, without even knowing where half the world is?

BTW, I've been all over SE Asia, Malaysia too Sumatra was very nice.
A Jew with a view.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2003, 08:14 AM

You mean as "unfit for the office of President of the United States of America"?

I'm pretty sure that's why version isn't president, and Dubya shouldn't be.

-s*

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Sep 22, 2003, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
You mean as "unfit for the office of President of the United States of America"?

I'm pretty sure that's why version isn't president, and Dubya shouldn't be.

-s*
No, the term he used was "village idiot" -- I dare say that many people would fit into that category concerning Masharif and Pakistan, especially considering that he has been in power for such a short amount of time.

I guess my point is being missed here too...

version  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 08:48 AM

No, the term he used was "village idiot" -- I dare say that many people would fit into that category concerning Masharif and Pakistan, especially considering that he has been in power for such a short amount of time.

I got your point, Moki, and it was a fa It seir point; however, I';m sure almost all the leaders in the developed world, would know something like this, and have an education behind them. Yes, Bush Jr did attend Uni, or college, but it sure doesn't show in his way with dealign with such questions, and his demenour. It wasn't just the question of who was the leader of Pakistan, he fumbled on many others too, some so simple. It seems like he was propped up into this position by way of his family links, rather than pur einteligence, and a decent manifesto. Compare to leaders such as Blair, no comparrison.
A Jew with a view.

christ
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 08:49 AM

...I guess my point is being missed here too...
No. You are right. It is unreasonable to expect an American President to know the leaders of major world powers. (It still doesn't look good, particularly of course to Pakistanis). I wonder if Musharaf knew Bush's name? But of course, that is different, America is a Superpower.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

version  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by christ:
No. You are right. It is unreasonable to expect an American President to know the leaders of major world powers. (It still doesn't look good, particularly of course to Pakistanis). I wonder if Musharaf knew Bush's name? But of course, that is different, America is a Superpower.
I love sarcasm, I take it your from Scotland too, same here.
A Jew with a view.

scoxx
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 11:27 AM

Alright, without looking it up, please name the elected leader of Malaysia.
Pakistan is a Nuclar Powwer(TM). Malaysia isn't.

version  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 12:50 PM

You would think a man who wanted to be President of a country like the US, would at least have read up on some politics, or history. I guess not.
A Jew with a view.

christ
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 01:24 PM

... I take it your from Scotland...
Wash your mouth out! I'm from waaaay south of that border!
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2003, 02:19 PM

Alright, without looking it up, I was going to answer Megawatti Sukharno. Since I have absolutely no idea how it's spelled, I looked it up on google, and it is actually Migawati Sukarno.

I remember hearing her name on NPR awhile back, and thinking it had a funny ring to it, and it just kinda stuck.

Can I be president, now?

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

christ
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
Alright, without looking it up, I was going to answer Megawatti Sukharno. Since I have absolutely no idea how it's spelled, I looked it up on google, and it is actually Migawati Sukarno.

I remember hearing her name on NPR awhile back, and thinking it had a funny ring to it, and it just kinda stuck.

Can I be president, now?

CV
Now I would have gone for (deep breath)

Paramount Ruler Sultan TUANKU SYED SIRAJUDDIN Ibni Almarhum Syed Putra Jamalullail

I would have placed Sukarno in Indonesia, which is a different place to Malaysia.

But I'm only a Brit, and you looked it up, so what do I know.
Chris. T.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2003, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by christ:
Now I would have gone for (deep breath)

Paramount Ruler Sultan TUANKU SYED SIRAJUDDIN Ibni Almarhum Syed Putra Jamalullail

I would have placed Sukarno in Indonesia, which is a different place to Malaysia.

But I'm only a Brit, and you looked it up, so what do I know.
On further investigation, you're right. She's the president of Indonesia. Funny, she came up in several references when I did a google search for "president of malaysia." I suppose I should put less faith in the first two or three pages I get in google. Heck it must be right-- it's on the interweb!

I'll settle for Senator. Can I be Senator? Please? Oh, Please?

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 22, 2003, 05:47 PM

Version, you are getting to be quite the offensive little one, aren't you? I love how you make broad, sweeping generalizations of America, yet provide little of substance to back them up.

What does your video clip prove? Do you also have one were people on the street correctly answered the questions, or would that have been inconvenient for you little 'Americans are stupid' crusade?

Obviously, we elected our current president because we are all retarded. Glad you pointed it out.
Nemo me impune lacesset

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
Obviously, we elected our current president because we are all retarded. Glad you pointed it out.
hehehehe

Not taking a shot at you TI. Just that particular statement made me laugh out loud!

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Sep 22, 2003, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
Version, you are getting to be quite the offensive little one, aren't you? I love how you make broad, sweeping generalizations of America, yet provide little of substance to back them up.

What does your video clip prove? Do you also have one were people on the street correctly answered the questions, or would that have been inconvenient for you little 'Americans are stupid' crusade?
Given that he has stated that there is no difference between Hitler, Lenin, etc. and President Bush, I think it is fairly clear he's fairly extreme (and IMHO misguided) in his views.

Sadly, when people are that extreme in their views, they'll believe anything from any source, as long as it reinforces them.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Sep 22, 2003, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
On further investigation, you're right. She's the president of Indonesia. Funny, she came up in several references when I did a google search for "president of malaysia." I suppose I should put less faith in the first two or three pages I get in google. Heck it must be right-- it's on the interweb!
The name you're looking for is Mahathir (pronounced "mah-hat-te")

...and he's been in power for a very, very long time (unlike Masharif).

Lerkfish
Sep 22, 2003, 08:35 PM

Sadly, when people are that extreme in their views, they'll believe anything from any source, as long as it reinforces them.
yes, true, and this cuts both ways.

tie
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 10:19 PM

I'm certainly missing your point. You're saying that Bush isn't the village idiot? I think you're missing the point that Bush is a world leader, and not being the village idiot isn't quite enough.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 23, 2003, 01:17 AM

version works for the Star doesn't he...

So you have any pictures of the bat boy naked?

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Sep 23, 2003, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
yes, true, and this cuts both ways.
...and as soon as you see me posting anything from Michael Savage here to reinforce my opinion on anything, feel free to deliver me the same dressing-down.

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Sep 23, 2003, 02:46 AM

So, how about the proof that was going to be released?

Nicko
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 03:19 AM

LOL I had to memorize all of the world leaders in grade 9 social studies class. Well ok it wasn't all of them, about 50 or so of the more important counties , still, I knew them all!

I suggest the shrub try flash cards.

version  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
hehehehe

Not taking a shot at you TI. Just that particular statement made me laugh out loud!
And you aren't offensive? Like me to show you links on how you do the exact same thing? jumping to accusations, and derogatory put-downs. Who said I was making broad generalisations? I said certain parts of American society, I do have family who are American, live in Sacramento. My ex was from Tennessee, and I love the US; I just dislike the current administration, and certain parts of US society, just as I do with almost every other country, as you do, and almost every other person on earth. If you can't take the crticism, then fair enough, but don't ever take away someone else's views just because they are not to your liking.

Cheers
A Jew with a view.

version  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 03:36 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
version works for the Star doesn't he...

So you have any pictures of the bat boy naked?
No, but I've got a cracker of a shot of a london bus on the moon
A Jew with a view.

version  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 03:41 AM

...and as soon as you see me posting anything from Michael Savage here to reinforce my opinion on anything, feel free to deliver me the same dressing-down.
There you go again, setting out the criteria for what you consider reliable sources. Next you'll be telling me that FOX, adn CNN are your lil buddies. Want me to show you how when the latest US invasion of IRaq led the AMerican Camera crews from CNN to flee Baghdad, leaving behind hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment? I remember watching the BBC reporters makign mention of this, and how on earth they could be making an un-baiased report on Iraq, when they fled to the safety of being with the US army. Typical
A Jew with a view.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Sep 23, 2003, 03:55 AM

There you go again, setting out the criteria for what you consider reliable sources.
Yes, I think it's reasonable to have reliable sources, and to back up your claims with facts.

The alternative is just shrill yelling of inuendo, and passing off distortion as fact. Oh wait...

Clearly you're driven by some kind of irrational hatred of Bush; why you focus so much energy dredging up half-baked hit pieces on him is beyond me. Is your own country's political system so boring that you prefer bashing Bush as a pasttime?

Really, I don't know what you're trying to accomplish, but if you want to persuade people that Bush is a bad President, or that he's wrong on XXXXX policy, you're not accomplishing it.

You call me a "Bush apologist" -- but honestly, I find many things to criticize about Bush, as well as some things I agree with. However when you (and other people who do like things) come in here and slam Bush with unsubstantiated hyperbole, I feel compelled to rebut it.

If you really want to win people over to your way of thinking, do it in a reasonable manner, present the facts of the situation, and argue why you feel that way. What you're doing now is simply going to polarize the argument, and cause people to dismiss you.

Just my two cents...

Nicko
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 04:53 AM

Yes, I think it's reasonable to have reliable sources, and to back up your claims with facts.

The alternative is just shrill yelling of inuendo, and passing off distortion as fact. Oh wait...

Clearly you're driven by some kind of irrational hatred of Bush; why you focus so much energy dredging up half-baked hit pieces on him is beyond me. Is your own country's political system so boring that you prefer bashing Bush as a pasttime?

Really, I don't know what you're trying to accomplish, but if you want to persuade people that Bush is a bad President, or that he's wrong on XXXXX policy, you're not accomplishing it.

You call me a "Bush apologist" -- but honestly, I find many things to criticize about Bush, as well as some things I agree with. However when you (and other people who do like things) come in here and slam Bush with unsubstantiated hyperbole, I feel compelled to rebut it.

If you really want to win people over to your way of thinking, do it in a reasonable manner, present the facts of the situation, and argue why you feel that way. What you're doing now is simply going to polarize the argument, and cause people to dismiss you.

Just my two cents...
A challenge:

Name one single positive thing that Bush has done that has been totally, completely, positive - and no the 2 or 3 wars he has started don't count.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 04:54 AM

And you aren't offensive? Like me to show you links on how you do the exact same thing? jumping to accusations, and derogatory put-downs. Who said I was making broad generalisations? I said certain parts of American society, I do have family who are American, live in Sacramento. My ex was from Tennessee, and I love the US; I just dislike the current administration, and certain parts of US society, just as I do with almost every other country, as you do, and almost every other person on earth. If you can't take the crticism, then fair enough, but don't ever take away someone else's views just because they are not to your liking.

Cheers
um, Version did you mean to quote my post or TI's one before that? If not then I don't understand.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Sep 23, 2003, 05:32 AM

Originally posted by Nicko:
A challenge:

Name one single positive thing that Bush has done that has been totally, completely, positive - and no the 2 or 3 wars he has started don't count.
I can name a number of them (and while I do consider the war in Afghanistan and Iraq to be positive, I'll leave those out of the discussion).

-- The national "Do not call" list: http://www.abcactionnews.com/stories...onotcall.shtml

-- The strengthening of Consumer Credit Protections: http://www.realtor.org/publicaffairs...l?OpenDocument

-- $15 Billion dollar AIDS fighting plan -- http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2942584.stm (heralded by AIDS activists such as Bob Geldof, no conservative by any means)

-- Pushing for Tort reform: http://asia.news.yahoo.com/030920/ap/d7tm9sag0.html

-- A serious effort to resolve the Israel/Palestinian issue: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2068132.stm

-- Aggressive and decisive tax cutting that caused the US to rebound out of recession quite well (and with a stronger economy than most of Europe/Asia)

...and there are many more. Shall I continue?

eklipse
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 05:58 AM

-- A serious effort to resolve the Israel/Palestinian issue: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2068132.stm
Please. Try a more recent article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3121314.stm

The 'Road Map�' is now a car wreck and all Bush does is spout about regime change like a mindless idiot. I seriously doubt the whole initiative was anything more than an engineered distraction to appease Arab hostility towards the Iraq invasion.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2003, 09:35 AM

When did the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians become the US's responsibility to solve?

eklipse
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by chabig:
When did the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians become the US's responsibility to solve?
It never was the US's responsibility and the US has never taken responsibility.

Forum Links
Forum Rules