Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Random shutdown on GigE G4

Random shutdown on GigE G4
Macola
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 10:18 PM

My GigE G4 (upgraded to a dual 1.4 GHz) recently started shutting down at random times. On checking system.log, I noticed an entry for "PMU forced shutdown Cause = -122". I checked the Apple discussion boards, and it seems like this indicates a failing power supply. Has anyone seen this happen and had it resolved after replacing the power supply? I'd like to confirm before I spend the cash.

Edit: Running 10.3.9
( Last edited by Macola; May 6, 2005 at 10:18 PM. Reason: added info)
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

ericdano
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2005, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Macola
My GigE G4 (upgraded to a dual 1.4 GHz) recently started shutting down at random times. On checking system.log, I noticed an entry for "PMU forced shutdown Cause = -122". I checked the Apple discussion boards, and it seems like this indicates a failing power supply. Has anyone seen this happen and had it resolved after replacing the power supply? I'd like to confirm before I spend the cash.

Edit: Running 10.3.9
I have this problem on my Quicksilver 2002. I did replace the powersupply a couple of months ago. It worked like a champ for a while. However, the problem is back now. I'm at the point of giving up and getting a G5......

crooner
Senior User
May 23, 2005, 08:07 AM

Do you both have several drives or other internal components that use the power supply in addition to the Giga CPU upgrade?
The reason I ask is that I have a QuickSilver dual 1Ghz and at times when I overloaded the power supply the machine would sporadically shutdown without warning until I lessened the load on the power by removing a drive or so. Believe it or not, at one point I had EIGHT drives running inside my Mac.

There's definitely room, but the power supply choked on 'em. Drag.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Macola  (op)
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 10:24 AM

I ended up replacing the power supply and I'm back up and running. However, I don't know how long the power supply will last--they're both refurbs purchased from an Apple reseller and only have 90-day warranties. I think heat is the main culprit, as I've been measuring the temp of the air coming out of the PS, and it can get over 90F. At the moment, I've downclocked the CPUs to 1.2 GHz and removed the side panel of the case to enable much better air intake with the main 120mm case fan. The intake pathway in the GigE models is the most bizarre I've seen in a while.

I have two drives, a Radeon 9000 Pro, USB PCI card, and a drive bay fan. Nothing that the power supply can't handle.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

embee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2005, 12:30 AM

I was brought to this particular post by Googling for the following string:

PMU FORCED SHUTDOWN, CAUSE = -122

Short answer: This particular cause code indicates the power supply beyond the G5 (the UPS or wall).

Long answer: I need to give some background (doesn't everybody?)...

I have been a Mac support professional for the past three years, and I worked in prepress for the six years before where I maintained the Macs in the office. I have held a position supporting Macs at a "national resource" applied physics laboratory for the last two years. I earned my ACDT and ACPT certification last fall and help to support about 600 Scientist/Engineer Mac users. I help really smart people (a lot of rocket scientists) all day with their Macs.

A few months ago, I was able to purchase a new DP 2.0 GHz G5 tower for home. It ran Panther just fine for several weeks. Then Tiger was released and I upgraded. All of the sudden, I would return to the computer after a day at work, or otherwise stepping away for a while, and it would be powered down. I poured over the logs and noticed the above entry during the subsequent boot sequence. My first resource was Google and didn't find a whole lot. Nothing definitive about specific cause codes anyway. I read something about someone having a similar problem fixed when an Apple Store replaced the power supply. I thought, OK- they could be related, but continued my search over the next week or two, carefully noting times and log entries for these shutdowns in iCal. There's really not too much out there on the web about this. I tried the basics- the hardware test CD and the more advanced Apple System Diagnostics CD- they turned up nothing on overnight loops. I zapped the PRAM and reset the PMU. I moved up the scale of drastic measure and reinstalled Tiger (I was having a few other small OS issues too)- nope same problem. I wiped the drive and did a fresh install- same problem. I came to the conclusion that the Tiger upgrade was a coincidence.

I decided to take the computer to my local Apple Store. I was hesitant because I knew I could do the hardware work myself, but I figured I do this all day at work, why not let someone else take care of me for a change? Well, I prepared my Mac with a new temporary admin account and password, printed out my iCal with crash dates, and some select system.log snippets with the "PMU FORCED SHUTDOWN, CAUSE = -122" line highlighted, and headed off to the Apple Store to let them know who I am and what I found. This was early on a Monday afternoon. They assured me they would triage it later that day and I noticed the sign in the store stating 3 day turnarounds on repairs. I waited and checked the online status of my machine. By Wednesday, the online status was still "waiting for triage." I was a bit upset. I stopped by the store on my way home from work to see what was up. The staff assured me that the problem had been narrowed down to the PMU on the logic board, and a replacement logic board was already sitting in a box next to my mac in the back. They would install it and test it the next day. I called the next day and the tech assured me that the repair was done and they would need to test it until tomorrow- Friday at this point. I was a bit frustrated, but agreed to wait. I picked up my G5 Friday after work, and the paperwork showed that they only replaced the battery. Whatever- I was a bit peeved, but I returned home and plugged my G5 in. It ran fine that evening. Saturday morning it shutdown on me again! Didn't take too long. Same system.log entry.

I wasn't upset at the Apple Store for only replacing the battery. In my certification, I was taught to start with the small (read:cheap) stuff- it just makes sense (get it? c'mon, chuckle). I was upset with the Apple Store for taking FIVE DAYS to do so. I keep these batteries in my office desk drawer for the very reason that they are OFTEN needed. I was upset that someone there told me the logic board was to be replaced and it was not. I was upset at the Apple Store for not keeping their online status updated.

Back to the real reason why you've read this far...

I was done with the Apple Store and decided to deal with it myself. I ordered a replacement logic board and power supply from Apple. The parts promptly arrived and I eagerly installed them. The damn G5 shut down the following morning- again with the same system.log entry. OK. Stop and think. Well, I had enough time to think while I pulled the replacement logic board and power supply back out of my G5 and reinstalled the original components.

I have my G5 plugged into an APC 500 UPS. It's a decent one with a USB connection that OS X can use for communication. I disconnected the USB connection- same shutdown problem the following day. My UPS had been recently chirping (indicating a failing backup battery), so I plugged the G5 into the surge-only protection side. Same problem. I was almost out of ideas. So I decided to try a very drastic measure.

I saved any open documents...

quit iTunes and iPhoto to protect my libraries...

and jerked the power cable from the back of the computer.

Wait a few seconds, powered it back up, and checked the system.log. WHAMMO!!! The very same log entry!

Now, to lay people (myself anyway), when I read the words "PMU FORCED SHUTDOWN," my brain interprets that as the PMU forced the shutdown. Nope. That led me on a wild goose chase through lots of potentially expensive hardware tests (warranties rock!).

I have ordered a replacement battery for my aging UPS in the hopes that it will help condition my home power, and the problem will go away. I won't be satisfied that the problem is resolved until I have 3 weeks of uptime or so, but I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for reading this far, I'm not sure I would have...

ericdano
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2005, 12:39 AM

Interesting. Yeah, I have a Quicksilver Mac that does the Shutdown thing. I got a replacement powersupply, and it was great for a while, then it started acting up again. I bought another Quicksilver Motherboard, but I don't believe the CPU I have is compatible with it (933Mhz CPU, and a later board 820-1417-01).

I do find that keeping it unplugged overnight seems to kill the problem for a while. I have mine plugged into a UPS as well. Is it heat? Something else? I have no clue.....Just kind of deal with it until I can get another machine I guess.....

col010
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 10:49 AM

Same thing happening with my G5 for several months now. There are numerous posts out there describing the same problem. As of yet I have never seen a post suggestring that any remedy actually fixed the problem. How about you embee -- any results after using a UPS ??

Forum Links
Forum Rules