Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Installing both Boot Camp and Parallels

Installing both Boot Camp and Parallels
Macola
Mac Elite
May 6, 2006, 10:02 AM

For those who've done this, did you need two copies (licenses) of XP and other Windows apps? I'd like to have virtualization for convenience but there are times when I'll need native performance and booting into Windows would be the way to go. Since there doesn't seem to be a way to have Parallels recognize the Boot Camp partition, having two Windows installations sounds like the only option.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 6, 2006, 10:20 AM

Well, you can share data and (some) applications, by having Parallels use the Boot Camp partition (if it's FAT32) as a "shared folder". But otherwise, yeah, you'll need to install things twice. I'm pretty sure you should be able to activate one license of Windows in both contexts; they're really mutually exclusive installs on the same machine, after all. If the activation thing gives you trouble, you can call Microsoft and get a key.

harrowww
May 16, 2006, 12:36 PM

I'm sure you can use the same activation key, but I agree that you're going to have to create 2 seperate Windows environments. Another thing that might make it easier is installing the Parallels for Windows (instead of the OS X) version on the XP bootcamp partition instead of installing Parallels for OS X on the Mac side. here's the link to it: https://www.regnow.com/softsell/nph-...6-2&quantity=1

it's $50

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 16, 2006, 07:26 PM

How does using Parallels for Windows help in this situation?

harrowww
May 17, 2006, 09:33 AM

might make it easier to share apps or files between the 2 windows environments.

Macola  (op)
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by framedinblood
might make it easier to share apps or files between the 2 windows environments.
That seems like overkill...a flash drive or FAT32 partition would be much easier. Anyway, I'll find out when my MacBook arrives

ghporter
Administrator
May 17, 2006, 12:54 PM

I'm begining to think an external drive is the way to go here. This impression is enhanced by my recent purchase of a Bytecc USB 2.0-to-IDE adapter kit-including a drive power supply-for all of $25. It works great with a bare drive, and makes things much simpler for a lot of applications. An external enclosure (with your choice of interface) would be exceptionally simple to use for the "sharing between Parallels and XP-via-Boot Camp" application.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

harrowww
May 19, 2006, 09:26 AM

you all see parallels just released the RC? anyone downloaded it?

harrowww
May 24, 2006, 08:39 AM

well, I'm using the RC now. the coolest feature is the 7 or 8 new ways to switch between OSes in addition to the flipping cube feature. my favorite is the "warp." pretty cool, check it out.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 24, 2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I'm begining to think an external drive is the way to go here. This impression is enhanced by my recent purchase of a Bytecc USB 2.0-to-IDE adapter kit-including a drive power supply-for all of $25. It works great with a bare drive, and makes things much simpler for a lot of applications. An external enclosure (with your choice of interface) would be exceptionally simple to use for the "sharing between Parallels and XP-via-Boot Camp" application.
I'm considering this. I've got two extra external hard drives, and I don't really need to have Windows with me on my laptop. I just want to use Windows with my Intel Mac because it's much faster than Virtual PC.

Are you suggesting having two different partitions on the external hard drive, with one running a native install, and one being for Parallels? With a Mac, Windows should boot fine from a Firewire drive, right? If not Firewire, one of my external drives does support USB 2.

(Sorry if the questions seem odd, but I don't have my Intel MacBook yet so I've not tried any of this.)

ghporter
Administrator
May 24, 2006, 06:13 PM

I hadn't though of using Boot Camp AND Parallels at the same time in this context, and I dont' even know if it could work. It wouldn't matter how many partitions you set up on the external drive, but I don't know how well Boot Camp will cooperate; it seems to want to ONLY work with the internal drive (but I am working only from what I've read-there may be a way).

But my main idea was using an external drive for sharing data. This gets around the issue with Boot Camp only wanting to start with a pristine HFS+ disk and making ONE Windows partition, which I think is the biggest problem people will run into. With an external drive for sharing between the two OSs, people won't have to buy any third party software to partition anything, they can just plug an external disk into the computer.

harrowww
May 25, 2006, 11:54 AM

are you implying that people should share files between OS X and a bootcamp windows environment thru an extrenal USB harddrive? I guess this would work with no problem, but seems like a hassle. w/ parallels you cna basically just drag and drop files between the two.

ghporter
Administrator
May 25, 2006, 09:45 PM

are you implying that people should share files between OS X and a bootcamp windows environment thru an extrenal USB harddrive? I guess this would work with no problem, but seems like a hassle. w/ parallels you cna basically just drag and drop files between the two.
Keep in mind that OS X can only read AND WRITE to FAT32 Windows partitions, NOT NTFS, that Windows can't do anything with HFS+ partitions (can't even see them), and (most important) Boot Camp ONLY partitions for one HFS+ partition and one Windows partition (either FAT32 or NTFS). That leaves you with some poor options for sharing files. You can format the Windows partition in FAT32, but that's not optimum because it is less secure and more error-prone than NTFS-not good when something odd happens to the Windows boot partition.

Using an external drive for shared files may not be the very best option, but it gets around the compromise of having your Windows installation boot from a none-too-reliable partition format. Parallels must either convert files through virtualization or do some other magic if you can get OS X to read AND WRITE files on an NTFS partition.

harrowww
May 26, 2006, 09:08 AM

well, I've seen Parallels in action sharing files. I mean, I don't know exactly what kind of files you're referring to, but just transferring Word files isn't a problem. Some formatting issues, but that's just a matter of installing the right fonts on both systems.

ghporter
Administrator
May 26, 2006, 10:12 AM

well, I've seen Parallels in action sharing files. I mean, I don't know exactly what kind of files you're referring to, but just transferring Word files isn't a problem. Some formatting issues, but that's just a matter of installing the right fonts on both systems.
This tells me that Parallels' virtual drive is agnostic in terms of access, so the actual file system it's using is a non-issue. That's NOT true with Boot Camp dual booting, because you're actually using a real drive with real partitions that are formatted in potentially incompatible ways.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2006, 10:29 AM

VMWare can use a real partition. That's what I use if I don't feel like rebooting my PC from Windows to run Linux. So, take a look at VMWare when the OS X version comes out.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2006, 10:36 AM

I assume framedinblood is speaking of the Parallels Shared Folder, which is a folder on the Windows XP desktop. Inside are all of the folders on the Mac side that you designate as "shared folders." These actually behave the same as if you were to open a shared folder on your Mac over the network.

harrowww
May 30, 2006, 11:16 AM

Icruise: that's excatly what I was referring to. You have shared folders which you access thru your Windows VM, drop a file in there, and access the file in OS X instantaneously.

As far as a VMware version for Mac goes, do you think that's going to happen?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 30, 2006, 03:49 PM

I was clarifying a little, since Virtual PC has true "drag and drop" file copying (you can drag a file from the finder into the VPC window and it will be copied) in addition to shared folders. At present Parallels only has the shared folder. But that works pretty well.

harrowww
May 31, 2006, 09:58 AM

the shared folder basically is drag n drop. I mean, it's not, but it is. you drag the file into a folder and then it appears in the other OSes instantaneously. that's good enough for me. plus, I'm sure in future versions they'll have a "true" drag n drop feature. if microsoft can do it, I'm positive parallels can.

harrowww
Jun 2, 2006, 07:29 AM

has anyone tried this feature?

Macola  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2006, 10:03 AM

has anyone tried this feature?
You mean shared folders? Sure...I use it to share an external drive where I keep my docs, so that I can access them in OS X, Parallels, or when booted into XP (the drive is FAT32).

harrowww
Jun 2, 2006, 02:47 PM

but are you actually using a shared folder? or just hooking up an external drive to either of the OSes?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2006, 02:55 PM

In any case, I am using the Shared Folders feature and it seems to work fine. Why do you ask?

Macola  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2006, 03:08 PM

but are you actually using a shared folder? or just hooking up an external drive to either of the OSes?
Yes, I set up the entire drive as a shared folder in the Parallels preferences. Since it's a Firewire drive, the Parallels VM won't "see" it, so using a shared folder was the only option. In any case, it's been working fine.

harrowww
Jun 5, 2006, 10:18 AM

wow, I didn't even know that was an option, but it's pretty cool. you got any other cool tricks to share?

Macola  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2006, 10:08 PM

None that come to mind. Now, if the iSight would work, that would be a cool trick

harrowww
Jun 6, 2006, 08:48 AM

yeah, I've been working on that. been talking w/ some users on the Mac message boards about solutions, every one wants it to work. could be in vain though.

harrowww
Jun 9, 2006, 08:56 AM

just posted on the apple message board looking for an answer. the parallels forums might be a place to look as well.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 25, 2006, 10:28 AM

I realise this thread is a bit old, but do any newer versions of Parallels allow you to boot/use an existing BootCamp partition?

Macola  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by seanc
I realise this thread is a bit old, but do any newer versions of Parallels allow you to boot/use an existing BootCamp partition?
Unfortunately, no. If Apple can do this in Leopard, that would be great.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 25, 2006, 01:13 PM

Hmm, annoying, thanks anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules