Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Problem with SATA enclosure or drive?

Problem with SATA enclosure or drive?
Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2006, 09:45 AM

I decided to use the original SATA drive from my MacBook for portable storage, so I picked up an external enclosure from OWC. The drive was initially recognized and I was able to reformat it and copy files fine. However, a few hours later, it locked up during file transfer and froze the Finder, I had to reboot, and it's no longer recognized. I've tried Disk utility and DiskWarrior (on a PowerBook).

It makes a loud clicking noise when connected (either USB or FW) so I'm concerned that there may be damage to the drive.

The big question: is it the enclosure or the drive? I'll be contacting OWC but wanted to get some opinions here first.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

cms
Senior User
Aug 16, 2006, 01:11 PM

Presume you've taken the enclosure apart and checked all cables/connections, etc., are sound? In my not inconsiderable experience of diagnosing hardware problems, The Click of Death on any hard drive is not a good sign. Chances are that any mechanical clicking sound you can identify as emanating directly from the hard disk indicates mechanical failure. Sorry......

Macola  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2006, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by cms
Presume you've taken the enclosure apart and checked all cables/connections, etc., are sound? In my not inconsiderable experience of diagnosing hardware problems, The Click of Death on any hard drive is not a good sign. Chances are that any mechanical clicking sound you can identify as emanating directly from the hard disk indicates mechanical failure. Sorry......
That's what I was afraid of too...the disk was fresh out of my MacBook and had never been used before this, so I'm inclined to think that a problem with the enclosure has damaged the disk. I'm waiting to hear back from OWC.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules