Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Problems with capturing large clips in FCP 1 & 2

Problems with capturing large clips in FCP 1 & 2
drillerkiller
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2001, 05:28 PM

I encode video and use FCP 1 or 2 to capture it. When capturing clips that are larger than 2 GB I get a strange file that is not recognized by Cleaner 5. Also, if I try to import it back into FCP, it will not recognize the clips. Any idea how I can fix this so I can capture large clips? Thanks.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2001, 06:43 PM

Isn't 2 GB the max file size useable in OS 9? Perhaps you need to break up the clips into smaller chunks.

Just a guess.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Chuck_star
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2001, 08:08 PM

I encode video and use FCP 1 or 2 to capture it.
Huh?

Are you trying to import a clip into FCP that was compressed by something else? What is the file type and video codec? FCP is more than capable of using clips larger than 2 gigs.
Later
Chuck

drillerkiller  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2001, 09:46 PM

No, I capture the footage using the DV codec on FCP and export it. Once I put it into Cleaner 5 it gives me a "unkown media" error. I figured I would be able to open the clip up using FCP (to chop it into smaller bits) but it gives me the same error as well. This is only with clips captured using FCP that are over 2 GB.

Chuck_star
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2001, 06:29 PM

Strange. Can you open the clips in QT pro? Then chop them up there?

Is it only one clip that's suspect? Do all clips under 2 gigs work, and were they captured the same way? Maybe you should recapture the clip.
Later
Chuck

Cipher13
Nov 16, 2001, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by scottiB:
<STRONG>Isn't 2 GB the max file size useable in OS 9? Perhaps you need to break up the clips into smaller chunks.

Just a guess.</STRONG>
Nope. The max file size is 2 Terabytes.

What version of teh macOS and QuickTime are you using?

Before starting any DV project I reinstall OS 9.1 clean, and QuickTime 4 or 5 depending on what I'm doing; usually 4. This has fixed numerous odd problems I've had with DV stuff. Inconvenient, yes, but I'm too impatient to work out what exactly the problem is. It's definately QuickTime related in my cases, so you may as well try that avenue regarding yours too. Can't hurt can it?

What method did you use to capture the stream? Did you input a custom file type you wanted it saved as?

Try this:

Capture the clip using "Capture Now" - go to "Log and Capture", hit "Capture Now" on the right hand side (bottom), then hit play on your camcorder (in VTR mode, of course).

After the capture is done, the clip will be opened in a new window in FCP... go to File -&gt; Export -&gt; Final Cut Pro movie.

It'll be saved as a DV stream file (the settings will all be right, don't worry). It'll save the scratch from the stream to a file. Attempt to use that.

Good luck.

elvisripley
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2001, 03:01 PM

OS 9 can handle the larger files but Cleaner 5 can't. The next version will fix the problem but it won't be out for awhile.
http://elvisripley.com

Cipher13
Nov 19, 2001, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by elvisripley:
<STRONG>OS 9 can handle the larger files but Cleaner 5 can't. The next version will fix the problem but it won't be out for awhile.</STRONG>
Yes it can.
I encoded a 2.8 gig file just the other week... and did a 6.4 gig movie before that.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2001, 05:07 PM

After my idiotic gaffe about the 2GB file limit (it's StuffIt Deluxe that can't handle files larger than 2GB--don't know why I thought it was the OS), Cleaner EZ (bundled w/ FCP) can't handle files larger than 2 GB--full blown Cleaner can.
http://www.discreet.com/products/cleaner_ez/

Click on "features and benefits."
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules