Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Netflix - Fastest Car

Netflix - Fastest Car
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2018, 03:38 AM

New car thread!! Minus the forums all knowing car owner.

Mostly binged watched the new Netflix car show, Fastest Car and pretty much enjoyed it. A refreshing take on the car show and usefully distant from both the two main funny lads and cars shows AND the entirely made up "we restored an E Type Jag for $3000 shows. Featuring actual people and their actual cars.

Liked the format even though it really focussed on the only way the sleepers realistically stood a chance, the quarter mile.

Some fantastic cars although maybe too much focus on the huge tanks with massive v8's. The interesting cars were the different ones like the white electric Datsun, the beautiful red Mazda, the Supra and Lunch Money.

I'm not sure how the owner of the massive Dodge truck could drive something that pours out so much black shite without crawling out of his own skin in embarrassment, but still.

I even liked the Supercar owners. Yes even Mr chrome Aventador.

Any other fans?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Thorzdad
Apr 19, 2018, 07:23 AM

I saw it was on Netflix, but haven't had time to take a look. I like cars, but tend to come away from most car shows disappointed. But, I'll take a look at this.

Oddly, the car show (that isn't actually a car show at all) that I have enjoyed is Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. Some of the cars he's featured have been delightful to see just being driven around in the real world. And, with a couple of exceptions, the cars on the show aren't any of the usual suspects when it comes to classics or collector's models.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 19, 2018, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
New car thread!! Minus the forums all knowing car owner.
Not to worry! I'm here!

Liked the format even though it really focussed on the only way the sleepers realistically stood a chance, the quarter mile.
I watched the first episode. Is every episode just a quarter mile race? It's kind of anticlimactic having an hour long buildup to a 15 second payoff with no real prize or goal at the end. I mean, isn't the show's thumbnail of a car going around a corner?

Also, you'd be surprised how badly a Miata on good tires with a great driver could embarrass most supercars on a road course, let alone what some purpose-built track cars could do. They have to pick the type of race where the driver makes the least amount of difference, so a short straight race it is. Even a half-mile or mile long race would be more fun, and let cars like the 1000hp minivan stretch their legs a bit. The quarter mile favors a very specific setup.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2018, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
N
Also, you'd be surprised how badly a Miata on good tires with a great driver could embarrass most supercars on a road course, let alone what some purpose-built track cars could do.
That's true. I've driven some supercars on a track (Lambo Gallardo, Audi R8 and a Ferrari something or other) and my lack of experience and nerve meant that I'm fairly sure a well driven MX5 (miata) track car would have had me easily.

Doing the quarter somewhat takes the newbie supercar owner issue away. That said the launch control on those cars is superb. I think all the drag racers seriously underestimated how hard it could launch off the line.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 19, 2018, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Doing the quarter somewhat takes the newbie supercar owner issue away. That said the launch control on those cars is superb. I think all the drag racers seriously underestimated how hard it could launch off the line.
Totally! The Ford GT didn't have any fancy gizmos so it was up to Erik (with a "k" - the Viking spelling) to launch properly. Also, for people used to prepped drag strips, a slippery, dusty airport is going to be a totally different ballgame. And they used chalk for the starting line, making sure that everyone's tires have a nice layer of slippery on them.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2018, 03:42 PM

I really felt for the owner of the red Mazda RX-2. Such a shame. Racing always has risks but it was sad to see. If the Datsun had stayed straight I recon it would have won the heat and possibly the whole show though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules