Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > work email on iphone

work email on iphone
Thread Tools
DoGoodDrugs
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: WVU
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 15, 2008, 08:58 AM
 
So i got an iPhone over the weekend and i love it. I thought since i get all my other email on my phone i might as well try to get my work email on it also. A few people have blackberry's at work and they get there email on that. I email the IT people and got a response like this: "we do have blackberry's but they are 100% under our control. Something like the iPhone presents a bit of a mixed bag because we don't have full control over that device. I'll get back to you." which let me tell you, he's not getting back to me any time this month. We have access to our mail through our website which i can get on my iPhone but i'm really looking to get it through the mail app. I tried setting it up using the info. from my outlook exchange server but the address is a .local so i think they may not work, i certainly couldn't get it to work. Is there anyway i can get the information i need from someones blackberry? Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
DGD
     
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 15, 2008, 09:32 AM
 
I tried to set up mine with Exchange and it wasn't playing. Most likely due to our Exchange setup. Our IT guy is looking into it (he has no problems supporting iPhones and actually wants one himself) and in the meantime he's set up a forward to [email protected] so I can get all of my work mails to my iPhone. I'd love to have calendars and everything working, but looks like that might have to wait.

Blackberries work differently. RIM provides a mail infrastructure that works with Exchange, but mail still needs to be forwarded to BB's servers. So copying mail settings won't work.
     
DoGoodDrugs  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: WVU
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 15, 2008, 09:43 AM
 
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't really want or need to sync my calendar or contacts, I just want the email. I don't really want to forward the mail either because i would like for it to be marked as read in my outlook when i check it on my phone. I think i'm confused more now though, how come there's a setting to set up microsoft exchange on the iPhone but my IT wont give me the information that i need? Does the IT just not have this information or is he just not going to tell me? Obviously i understand that no one really knows why he won't give me the information but some guesses will do.

Thanks,
DGD
     
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 15, 2008, 02:01 PM
 
It depends where you are in the corporate pecking order.

I'm a partner in our (small-ish) company, so I generally just ask our IT people to do stuff and then they tend to do it, unless there's a good reason not to. If you're working for a large companies with uhm, policies, then you might be out of luck.
     
DoGoodDrugs  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: WVU
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 15, 2008, 02:27 PM
 
Mastrap, you are right, it does depend on where I'm at in the pecking order, and for me that's not good because I'm essentially at the bottom. I've been working with my company for a less than a year, I'm right out of college, so I'm not getting much pull. The head IT guy emailed me and said "Right now, we don't support the setup of *company* email on personal phones. However this is something we may look into at a later date." Which to me means, they're not doing anything until someone with some power tells them to do it. I just thought it would benefit the company as much as me to be able to access company email where ever I am. It's not like I'm asking them to pay the bill. I can access the company email through our website on the phone which is good if I ever needed to send an email while I'm not at the office, so I really don't see why they can just help me set up the phone. I can't imagine it being that difficult from their side. I can't figure out how to do it without their help, or I would.
     
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 15, 2008, 02:37 PM
 
In which case, talk to your boss. Tell him/her that you'd find it useful to be able to access your email while you're out of the office. See what s/he says.

But ask yourself this: Do you want people to know that you can read your work mail wherever you are?
     
DoGoodDrugs  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: WVU
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 15, 2008, 02:49 PM
 
Good point, maybe I don't want people to know that i can check my email where ever I am. Maybe I should drop it now and go back to playing with all the new iPhone apps.
     
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The Rockies
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 15, 2008, 02:56 PM
 
Can you do email from home via outlook or outlook web access? If so, you should be able to get the info from there. I set up my exchange email just by entering in my domain/email name (which I enter when I access it through web access) and server name (which is basically the url for web access).

I never, ever talk to IT people.
     
Xoote
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jul 2008
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 15, 2008, 03:10 PM
 
thanks for the tip
:)
     
mduell
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 15, 2008, 04:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Blackberries work differently. RIM provides a mail infrastructure that works with Exchange, but mail still needs to be forwarded to BB's servers. So copying mail settings won't work.
If his company has enough/important enough BlackBerry users, they may have their own BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) so they don't have to send mail through RIM's servers.

Originally Posted by DoGoodDrugs View Post
Mastrap, you are right, it does depend on where I'm at in the pecking order, and for me that's not good because I'm essentially at the bottom. I've been working with my company for a less than a year, I'm right out of college, so I'm not getting much pull. The head IT guy emailed me and said "Right now, we don't support the setup of *company* email on personal phones. However this is something we may look into at a later date." Which to me means, they're not doing anything until someone with some power tells them to do it. I just thought it would benefit the company as much as me to be able to access company email where ever I am.
It's also a huge potential liability/risk, without a good way to control it until they figure out and set up an iPhone management infrastructure.
     
NIHMacAddict
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jul 2008
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 15, 2008, 06:04 PM
 
I do use exchange (outlook) at home, remotely. So I tried to set up a new iPhone email to do that as well... I went through the initial queries (username and pwd), which it accepted because after verifying log in it presented me with the exchange server address field. But when I enter the correct address field there, it errors out with "exchange account verification failed". Any ideas?
     
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 15, 2008, 06:50 PM
 
Have you tried SSH on/off?
     
beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Virginia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 15, 2008, 06:58 PM
 
Originally Posted by DoGoodDrugs View Post
So i got an iPhone over the weekend and i love it. I thought since i get all my other email on my phone i might as well try to get my work email on it also. A few people have blackberry's at work and they get there email on that. I email the IT people and got a response like this: "we do have blackberry's but they are 100% under our control. Something like the iPhone presents a bit of a mixed bag because we don't have full control over that device. I'll get back to you." which let me tell you, he's not getting back to me any time this month. We have access to our mail through our website which i can get on my iPhone but i'm really looking to get it through the mail app. I tried setting it up using the info. from my outlook exchange server but the address is a .local so i think they may not work, i certainly couldn't get it to work. Is there anyway i can get the information i need from someones blackberry? Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
DGD
While it's technically not exchange "push" email, I have my iphone set up to send/receive my work email as an imap client. I can help you with that, if you'd like.

beadman
     
NIHMacAddict
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jul 2008
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 15, 2008, 07:04 PM
 
Yes, i tried SSL on/off -- no luck. I have no problems with IMAP btw.
     
CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Sep 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 15, 2008, 08:50 PM
 
Your Exchange Administrator would need to have IMAP turned on for that to work. The setup is fairly straight forward if IMAP is open.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones
     
jokell82
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 15, 2008, 09:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by NIHMacAddict View Post
I do use exchange (outlook) at home, remotely. So I tried to set up a new iPhone email to do that as well... I went through the initial queries (username and pwd), which it accepted because after verifying log in it presented me with the exchange server address field. But when I enter the correct address field there, it errors out with "exchange account verification failed". Any ideas?
We're having the same issues at my company. It *looks* like something set up incorrectly on our Exchange 2003 server. We're in the process of changing our DNS host as well, so that could be screwing it up.

It's a problem since our President, CEO, Vice President, and head of sales all have iPhones.

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
DoGoodDrugs  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: WVU
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 16, 2008, 09:35 AM
 
i access my mail through the web @ mailhost.*company.com/webmail.html. This prompts me with the following message: "A username and password are being requested by http://mailhost.*company.com. The site says: "mailhost.*company.com"" I then enter my user name a password and it takes me to mailhost.*company.com/exchange with full access to my email. I've tried using the iPhone exchange mail setup and entering Username and Password, and using all the web addresses for the server with no avail.

"*company" has replaced my actual company info.
~DGD
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:10 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,