Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple TV, My Receiver, and Potential HDMI Issues...?

Apple TV, My Receiver, and Potential HDMI Issues...?
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2009, 02:50 PM

Hey all

Okay, I'm about to bite the bullet and snag myself an Apple TV, but I have a couple of wicked-fast questions that I think I know the answers to — but I'd like confirmation.

1. If I get an Apple TV, I want to run it through my main receiver, so my plan would be to connect the ATV HDMI to my receiver like all my other components (my Onkyo has a single HDMI out, BTW). This will treat the ATV like all my other components as far as sound through my mains, etc.

Am I correct to assume this will work? Apple's docs seem to want you to connect directly to your TV...

2. I have heard that upon upgrading to the v3 software that was just released, some people are having issues with the ATV recognizing when the receiver has switched to it, making an ATV restart necessary. Anyone having that problem? I feel it may be because these people are using legacy receivers...?

THANKS!
Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

SASouth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2009, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Hey all

Okay, I'm about to bite the bullet and snag myself an Apple TV, but I have a couple of wicked-fast questions that I think I know the answers to — but I'd like confirmation.

1. If I get an Apple TV, I want to run it through my main receiver, so my plan would be to connect the ATV HDMI to my receiver like all my other components (my Onkyo has a single HDMI out, BTW). This will treat the ATV like all my other components as far as sound through my mains, etc.

Am I correct to assume this will work? Apple's docs seem to want you to connect directly to your TV...

2. I have heard that upon upgrading to the v3 software that was just released, some people are having issues with the ATV recognizing when the receiver has switched to it, making an ATV restart necessary. Anyone having that problem? I feel it may be because these people are using legacy receivers...?

THANKS!
Maury
It will work fine. My ATV is connected to my Harman-Kardon receiver using the HDMI port.

I've not had any of the problems that you describe either before or after the v3.0 upgrade. My HK is fairly new though.

Cheers,

Steve

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2009, 07:54 PM

1) My Denon recognizes my ATV just fine. When switching among my 3 HDMI inputs, the TV screen will black out, come back, black out, and come back, but it always works. I assume it is doing the HDCP handshake or something.
2) I haven't had any issues with 3.0 requiring a reboot, and have watched a few movies/TV shows.
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2009, 07:55 PM

Good to hear. Mine will arrive Friday, and we'll see how it goes!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Forum Links
Forum Rules