Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 89)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2014, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
A man humbled...
Don't get cocky, I'm not sure it's as stupid a buying an Xbox 1.

Huehuehuehuehue

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2014, 08:03 PM

Installing BF4 updates now, invite sent Dakar

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2014, 10:14 AM

Did you get the Destiny PS4? Do you have to pay Premium again to get all the BF4 dlc?

Jelly.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 11, 2014, 11:50 AM

GAF is salty because a Digital Foundry review found Destiny on the X1 achieves parity with the PS4 version. The inference being that since the PS4 has more horsepower it could look even better, but bungie instead focused on MS' box.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 11, 2014, 11:54 AM

Anyway, to me it seems obvious MS money hatted them. Bungie's core audience started on xbox, and if the PS4 had the superior experience, they'd lose some of their most loyal fans.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 11, 2014, 01:56 PM

FattyO'bservations from last night:

• It's so quiet
• The dashboard is so smooth/quick
• It's so quiet

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2014, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Did you get the Destiny PS4? Do you have to pay Premium again to get all the BF4 dlc?

Jelly.

Loving the white PS4, especially the white with black buttons controller. I never bought the dlc or premium for BF4 on the 360, I'll have to see how it goes in the next few weeks before I commit to buying anything else.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 11, 2014, 05:44 PM

Heh, in that light level it might as well be a black ps4.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2014, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
FattyO'bservations from last night:

• It's so quiet
• The dashboard is so smooth/quick
• It's so quiet
•Frame rate of BF4 was almost jarring how buttery it ran (most of the time)
•Controller thumbsticks have great action and feel
•Controller itself still feels a bit wonky in my hands, but I have been using the same controller for 8 years now so I'll manage
•No youtube app (bummer) was still able to play youtube via the browser
•What do folks use for playing media off of network?
•Putting the controller down hits the triggers, which is a small annoyance.
•Netflix, Amazon and Hulu apps run much quicker than on the 360, giving the feeling of faster internet.

Rumor
Sep 11, 2014, 11:48 PM

Anyway, to me it seems obvious MS money hatted them. Bungie's core audience started on xbox, and if the PS4 had the superior experience, they'd lose some of their most loyal fans.
If that is the case, and I'm not doubting you, how did Sony get the exclusive rights for advertisement? Back alley deal? "They'll get the ad rights, but it will run better on your console."
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 12, 2014, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
If that is the case, and I'm not doubting you, how did Sony get the exclusive rights for advertisement? Back alley deal? "They'll get the ad rights, but it will run better on your console."
Sony probably paid first. MS gave bungie exclusive people to help polish/optimize Destiny. They might not have even realized they needed to do that until the alpha.

P
Sep 12, 2014, 09:51 AM

GAF is salty because a Digital Foundry review found Destiny on the X1 achieves parity with the PS4 version. The inference being that since the PS4 has more horsepower it could look even better, but bungie instead focused on MS' box.
]
Don't complain. Destiny was apparently developed as a PC game and then ported to the consoles, and it launches there in 2015. Not that I care personally, but I can understand the frustration.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 12, 2014, 11:20 AM

November 18th for GTA. Which is the same day as Far Cry 4. So I guess I'll wait to see the reviews of Far Cry 4. If it stood, I'll pick that up. If it's not, GTA 5.

Also: New weapons, vehicles and activities
- Additional wildlife
- Denser traffic
- New foliage system
- Enhanced damage and weather effects, and much more

Denser traffic is always a plus.

Enhancements to Grand Theft Auto Online include an increased player count, with online play now for up to 30 players on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. All existing gameplay upgrades and Rockstar-created content released since the launch of Grand Theft Auto Online will also be available for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC with much more to come.
Anything to make the more lively. The previous count was 16 so that's almost double. Pretty good.

All players who pre-order the game will get $1,000,000 in-game bonus cash to spend across Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online (GTA$500K each for your Story Mode and for your GTA Online in-game bank accounts).
A reaso to pre-order? 1,000,000 is a lot, but it wasn't too much back when I was on. But R* was basically nerving pay-outs constantly.

A host of new, exclusive content also awaits for players returning from the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions including rare versions of classic vehicles to collect from across the Grand Theft Auto series such as the Dukes, the Dodo Seaplane and a faster, more maneuverable Blimp; activities including wildlife photography and new shooting range challenges, new weapons and more.

Existing players will be able to transfer their Grand Theft Auto Online characters and progression to their choice of PlayStation 4, Xbox One or PC.
Best part of all.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 12, 2014, 11:28 AM

NPD Sales Results for August 2014 [Up3: PS4 #1, XB1 software revenue ~2X July] - NeoGAF
Xbox One sales are on a positive trajectory, nearly doubling sales in August in the U.S. compared to July due in part to strong demand for the Xbox One Madden NFL 15’bundle. The holiday season is upon us we’re looking forward to bringing the best value bundles, incredible offers like the ‘Buy a Console Get a Game Free’ promotion running now and more great games as we gear up for the launches of Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, Destiny, Grand Theft Auto V and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.”
Below are the PlayStation highlights from the August NPD report:

· PlayStation 4 was #1 in hardware sales for the eighth consecutive month and remains the cumulative leader for next generation game consoles.

· PlayStation led the month for next generation software with Madden NFL 15 for PS4 taking the #1 spot for overall software sales.

· Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition and Madden NFL 15 had their strongest sales on PS4 and were the biggest third party releases of the month.

· The Last of Us Remastered continues to have strong momentum on PS4; it was the top selling first-party title in August.

· For the third consecutive month, PlayStation was #1 in combined home console hardware sales (PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3).

P
Sep 12, 2014, 01:19 PM

November 18th for GTA.
On PS4 and Xbone, but Jan 27 on PC. Anyone spotting a trend?

The story I've seen repeated a few times now is that the new consoles aren't powerful enough to match gamer PCs, especially the Xbone (heck, mine has a GPU more than twice as powerful as the PS4, and I'm far from the worst) so MS is playing hardball - either you delay the release so it's a later news cycle, or you mess up the PC version (like Ubisoft). Since GTA IV had a terrible rep as a bad port, Rockstar doesn't want to do that, so the delay.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 12, 2014, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
MS is playing hardball - either you delay the release so it's a later news cycle, or you mess up the PC version
Where have you heard this? This is news to me.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 12, 2014, 08:16 PM

November 18th for GTA. Which is the same day as Far Cry 4. So I guess I'll wait to see the reviews of Far Cry 4. If it stood, I'll pick that up. If it's not, GTA 5.
I have about 100 hours into Far Cry 3, which is enough to beat the game and all of the side missions, I really liked it. I can see picking up 4 on a Steam sale.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2014, 09:15 AM

Instead of paying 400€ to get a PS4 with Destiny, I've gone and spent 218€ on : Elite Dangerous Beta (will get the full game as part of the package when it comes out), TrackIR and Voice Attack. I already have a HOTAS joystick.

Lets hope I'm not as bad at Elite as I am at CoD and BF stuff.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2014, 10:05 AM

On PS4 and Xbone, but Jan 27 on PC. Anyone spotting a trend?

The story I've seen repeated a few times now is that the new consoles aren't powerful enough to match gamer PCs, especially the Xbone (heck, mine has a GPU more than twice as powerful as the PS4, and I'm far from the worst) so MS is playing hardball - either you delay the release so it's a later news cycle, or you mess up the PC version (like Ubisoft). Since GTA IV had a terrible rep as a bad port, Rockstar doesn't want to do that, so the delay.
Haven't PC gamers always lamented that "console gaming is holding PC gaming back"?

Rumor
Sep 14, 2014, 02:47 PM

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition
Someone say Diablo 3? Again.

P
Sep 15, 2014, 03:21 AM

That Ubisoft messes up the PC releases intentionally is a matter of public record, and there are mods to revert it. That the push for that comes from MS is conjecture, of course. "Story" here is barely more than forum chatter. That chatter is becoming remarkably consistent, however.

Yes, of course there are other options. Fall is probably even busier on the PC side than among the consoles, and there is a much deeper back catalog of games to play (ie, games you picked up at the last Steam sale and haven't got to yet), so maybe it makes sense to delay to a period where there are fewer competitors. Maybe they're worried about the next generation of nVidia cards launching soon, and the game not running well on them. Maybe it's a combination of all these things - but do not tell me that it is just running behind. There are PC files in the 360 version of GTA V, showing that it was running on PC before any of the next gen consoles even existed. Something happened to delay it even further.

(Note the weasel-wording from Rockstar, btw - all versions were supposed to launch by now, not have their final dates announced now).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2014, 09:14 AM

You guys can flay me for dropping the ball on this one. I read the rumor last week and dismissed it.
Microsoft Agrees to Acquire Creator of 'Minecraft' - WSJ

Microsoft Corp. MSFT -0.65% agreed to buy the company behind the hit videogame "Minecraft" for $2.5 billion, in an unlikely deal between an antiestablishment Swedish programmer and a tech giant seeking to focus on its strength in business software.
Mojang is particularly important for Microsoft's struggling smartphone business. "Minecraft" is among the most popular mobile apps, but the company hasn't made a version for Microsoft's Windows Phone system, which powers fewer than three out of every 100 new smartphones sold world-wide.
I think it's likely they try to create Minecraft 2 and shut-out Sony (who only recently got access to Minecraft). Also, imagine what 2.5 billion could have done for X1 and some better hardware.

P
Sep 15, 2014, 09:50 AM

Note that the three founders of Mojang, including Notch, are not part of the deal. They're going to do something new. I suspect that MS wants to make a business in hosting Minecraft worlds - like an MMO.

And that is an absolutely insane amount of money.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2014, 09:59 AM

That Ubisoft messes up the PC releases intentionally is a matter of public record, and there are mods to revert it.
Intentionally, how? I mean, I know they're late all the time, but I always thought that was a case of not having the proper resources than intentionally holding it back (though the latter would make sense).

That the push for that comes from MS is conjecture, of course. "Story" here is barely more than forum chatter. That chatter is becoming remarkably consistent, however.
Damn, I was hoping for something more concrete than intuition.

There are PC files in the 360 version of GTA V, showing that it was running on PC before any of the next gen consoles even existed. Something happened to delay it even further.
Rockstar is notorious for long-delayed PC releases. I assume it's a piracy thing.

P
Sep 15, 2014, 10:23 AM

Intentionally, how? I mean, I know they're late all the time, but I always thought that was a case of not having the proper resources than intentionally holding it back (though the latter would make sense).
They turned down the maximum PC graphics of Watch Dogs to whatever you could run on the "next gen" consoles. They're still there in the code, just disabled. This is so incredibly counter-productive - having game that is hard to run means that you show up in benches, which extends longevity. The Far Cry franchise was essentially based on being pretty and hard to run.

Damn, I was hoping for something more concrete than intuition.
Yeah. I would usually not have bothered to mention it. People are going to steam, and since some of what I read is Swedish-speaking forums and the Xbone has just launched here, MS doesn't exactly have a large defense force here.

Rockstar is notorious for long-delayed PC releases. I assume it's a piracy thing.
I can see that when it was a console game first (as GTA IV), but apparently this was not the case here. Max Payne 3 was simultaneous or close enough, for instance.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2014, 10:29 AM

I can see that when it was a console game first (as GTA IV), but apparently this was not the case here. Max Payne 3 was simultaneous or close enough, for instance.
Max Payne is not GTA; GTA is arguably one the biggest releases every time. It's piracy numbers probably dwarf some better known AAA franchise sales.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2014, 10:31 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2014, 10:34 AM

Anyone who follows MInecraft new that was a foregone conclusion. Notch "selling out" Mojang was hard enough for some to believe. Him working for MS would have caused the internet to go berserk.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2014, 10:54 AM

Which is why I kinda wanted him to stay. For troll purposes.

andi*pandi
Sep 15, 2014, 11:13 AM

If Notch leaves, then Microsoft won't own his next Big Idea™.

Microsoft Buys Minecraft Maker For $2.5 Billion – Consumerist

Well, it was fun while it lasted. They may say they'll continue to support other platforms, but yeah, there are bridges out there for sale, cheap.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2014, 02:51 PM

Here's the direct link to Mojang's statement: http://notch.net/2014/09/im-leaving-mojang/

I love the fact that the most beloved indie dev in history compared his plight to the "most hated" indie dev in history. (If you haven't watched "This is Phil Fish," you really should.)

Myself, I loved FEZ. Minecraft, it's just not for me.

BTW, there is no way in hell MS will ever recoup their $2.5B. And whatever "monetization" efforts MS employs will generate intense backlash like we've never seen.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2014, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Here's the direct link to Mojang's statement: I’m leaving Mojang | notch.net

I love the fact that the most beloved indie dev in history compared his plight to the "most hated" indie dev in history. (If you haven't watched "This is Phil Fish," you really should.)

BTW, there is no way in hell MS will ever recoup their $2.5B. And whatever "monetization" efforts MS employs will generate intense backlash like we've never seen.
Place diamond blocks for 25¢ each!

P
Sep 15, 2014, 03:48 PM

Max Payne is not GTA; GTA is arguably one the biggest releases every time. It's piracy numbers probably dwarf some better known AAA franchise sales.
I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the piracy argument. So Rockstar expects that there are enough people out there who own both a next-gen console and a recent gaming PC, yet are cheapskates enough that they will deal with the hassles of pirating instead of just spending the $50 it would cost to buy on Steam or whatever? Or are the cheapskates insane and will buy a console+GTA instead instead of waiting a few months, and otherwise they would have pirated? The math just doesn't add up.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2014, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Here's the direct link to Mojang's statement: I’m leaving Mojang | notch.net

My prognostication:
They'll try to monetize Realmz by no longer publishing the server.
The modding / bukkit community will tear them apart and they'll back down till they get the API done
They'll publish and api that's nothing like Forge.
The modding community will make a new engine instead of porting.
The MS version will collapse down to an XBox only platform.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Sep 15, 2014 at 09:16 PM. )

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2014, 05:42 PM

Anybody think that they'll sell any more smartphones if Minecraft is ported to Windows phone? Do MS seriously think that it will make their phones sell?

P
Sep 16, 2014, 02:27 AM

If they're cheap enough, they might. If they make a new "Zune", iPod touch-like, it certainly might. The handheld gaming market is ripe for disruption, and nobody else seems to care enough to do it. Apple is half-hearted as are all their gaming efforts, Sammy is probably waiting for someone to copy, Sony doesn't want to dilute the Playstation brand with something cheaper, Lenovo literally just bought Moto...is there anyone else left in the phone business?

andi*pandi
Sep 16, 2014, 08:44 AM

Selling Out Was the Best Thing Minecraft's Creator Could've Done | WIRED

Why it makes sense to sell. Some good points, especially per Rovio... I feel a little bad for Notch, taking heat. He sounds bewildered by the success.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 16, 2014, 11:27 AM

Destiny: It’s a small world after all | Ars Technica
In our first-impressions look at the final retail game, we feared that the opening Earth setting felt too small, and sure enough, that fear was justified once we "beat" the game's thin mission structure. Destiny offers four worlds—Earth, Venus, Mars, and the moon—and each world contains roughly five "mission" paths to fight through, which require anywhere from half an hour of epic battling to as little as ten minutes of exertion.
The issue is that Bungie only built so many battle-ready chunks on each planet, each set off with stairwells, hills, cover, hiding spots, and other thoughtfully placed minutiae. Beyond the mission content, players can return to the previously mentioned "patrol" mode and scour the lands for more to do, but they'll mostly wind up fighting through the same choice battleground spots again and again—or riding hover-cycles through the exact same paths between each battle. Destiny is a wonder to explore, but that feeling of freshness, of expecting something different around the next corner, dries up all too quickly.
Yup...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2014, 12:41 PM

Activision Blizzard loses 1.5 Billion $ Market Cap valuation since launch of Destiny - NeoGAF
On September 9th, Destiny launched bringing the valuation of Activision Blizzard's stock, ATVI, to 23.73$ at its closing, close to an All-time high of 24.18$.

The past few days however, it seems investors are singing a different tune due to Destiny lukewarm reviews and disappointing sell-through - over 500 million $ worth of shipments were sent out to retailers - nonetheless only 325 million $ sold-through thus far effectively leaving 175 million $ worth of inventory on store shelves.

As such, ever since the launch of Destiny, the stock has now rapidly declined, losing over 10% of its valuation to where it stands currently 21.60$ ish - 1.5 billion $ erased from ATVI's market cap in just a few days.
As always on NeoGAF, the first post nails it – I given the game a lot of shit, but how do shareholders devalue a corporation by 10% for creating the best-selling new IP ever? (Because shareholders are stupid)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2014, 05:36 PM

More good Destiny news
Eight days later, Bungie leaving disconnected Destiny players stranded | Ars Technica
Eight days after launch, users who haven't been able to connect—including one of Ars Technica's own contributors, who still can't get online with an Xbox 360 copy of the game—have exhausted all of the suggestions listed at help.bungie.net. At that point, those users are directed to visit Bungie's forums, "staffed by community mentors who are here to help you."

The end result is a funneling of complaints to a forum whose topics are broken down not by official categories but by hashtags. With nothing in the way of a trackable "ticket" system or a customer service hotline, users are stuck with a "#help" page that is currently dominated by topic titles like "I've Given Up on Destiny and Got My Refund; Here's Why Maybe You Should Too" and "Bungie Please Give Us Info."

Worse, our hunt for official Bungie posts resulted in only one major response thus far. A thread titled "Help us help you" starts with a post from an official Bungie account, which essentially asks users to figure answers out on their own:

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Sep 17, 2014, 05:55 PM

I'm wondering if the 360 connectivity issues may be related to past Halo bans, as Bungie.Net profiles are linked to that sort of thing.

I've never been banned, and I don't have any connectivity issues.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2014, 06:03 PM

Activision Blizzard loses 1.5 Billion $ Market Cap valuation since launch of Destiny - NeoGAF

As always on NeoGAF, the first post nails it – I given the game a lot of shit, but how do shareholders devalue a corporation by 10% for creating the best-selling new IP ever? (Because shareholders are stupid)
Best comment from the forum:
"Now THAT'S a loot drop."

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2014, 08:33 AM

Goat Simulator is on iOS and Android now, 5 dollars / 3 pound.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2014, 03:51 AM

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Sep 20, 2014, 09:53 AM

GAZE INTO THE ABYSS!

I love Borderlands.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2014, 01:14 PM

I'm afraid to watch this. I'm not done BL2 yet, and I don't know what Handsome Jack is hiding behind that mask, and I don't want to risk any spoilers.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Sep 20, 2014, 04:02 PM

I guess Destiny is having connectivity issues right now. Rumors are floating that they're fixing the loot cave.

I'm not even there yet, so I don't think I care.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 20, 2014, 05:10 PM

PEW PEW MOTHER****ER

That was awesome. Will definitely be picking up one Steam has it cheap.
( Last edited by Laminar; Sep 21, 2014 at 02:55 PM. )

Rumor
Sep 20, 2014, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by EstaNightshift View Post
I guess Destiny is having connectivity issues right now. Rumors are floating that they're fixing the loot cave.

I'm not even there yet, so I don't think I care.
Rumor is a hacker group took Destiny and BF4 (I think) servers offline.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2014, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
PER PER MOTHER****ER

That was awesome. Will definitely be picking up one Steam has it cheap.
Autocorrect strikes

Also, for people like me who aren't signing in for shit:
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel -- An Introduction by Sir Hammerlock AND TORGUE | PS3

Forum Links
Forum Rules