Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 91)
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2014, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
…just like AC and Batman.
Yeah, they were shite as well.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 6, 2014, 09:09 AM

Somebody finally made this:

P
Oct 6, 2014, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Yeah, they were shite as well.
Note that when you are actually shooting (arrows) in SoM, it moves to first person. This is a setup that works quite well - when you need to aim, you're in first person. The rest of the time time, you just push a face button to hit whoever is closest. This is much better than games like GTA, where you're supposed to shoot in third person mode.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 6, 2014, 10:33 AM

Does it go first person? I think it goes into zoomed in over the shoulder, like Gears of War.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2014, 11:11 AM

I'm pretty sure it's close, over-the-shoulder.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 6, 2014, 12:15 PM

Not the first time I heard this about a recent game.
Assassin's Creed Unity is 900p/30fps on both PS4 & Xbox One - Assassin's Creed Unity for PS4 News

Assassin's Creed Unity will run at 900p/30fps on both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, Ubisoft has confirmed, with the publisher opting to aim for platform parity to avoid discussion over the differences in performance.

"We decided to lock them at the same specs to avoid all the debates and stuff," senior producer Vincent Pontbriand told VideoGamer.com while explaining that it's the consoles' CPUs – not the GPU – that prevents Ubisoft Montreal from improving the game's performance.
MS ain't dead yet. After seeing all the witty PS3 ports last gen I have a hard time believing these are developer 'decisions.' Nothing like backing the right console and not getting rewarded for it.

Anyway, no one seems to care about 60 fps so at least give PS4 users that stealth bump.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 6, 2014, 12:35 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 7, 2014, 09:15 AM

DriveClub review: the next generation of time trials | Ars Technica
17 GB download. I guess I'll set it overnight.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 7, 2014, 09:17 AM

Ubisoft defends Assassin's Creed: Unity graphics lock for parity on PS4, Xbox One • Eurogamer.net
Ubisoft has told Eurogamer that Assassin's Creed Unity's final technical specifications for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are actually still to be locked down.
Let the spin and lies begin.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 7, 2014, 11:23 AM

The Driveclub reviews are all over the place. From suspiciously high to fairly mediocre.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2014, 12:02 PM

It has a score of 75 on Metacritic (68 with Users). I'll download the Free PSN Plus version tonight to see what all the fuss is about.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 7, 2014, 12:21 PM

I have a feeling it'll be gorgeous but shallow.

P
Oct 7, 2014, 12:35 PM

Does it go first person? I think it goes into zoomed in over the shoulder, like Gears of War.
Could be, but that's pretty close to first person. My point was that it isn't a shooter, so it works well in third person. I can understand and sympathize with disliking third person shooters, but this - and the Arkham games - works fine.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 7, 2014, 05:28 PM

Get home DC free version isn't up even though the other free titles from this month are. Sony needs to get their PSN shit together pronto.

Edit: I should add, the paid versions are up, which is pretty shady.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 8, 2014, 09:18 AM

Driveclub PS Plus Edition Delayed by Server Issues - IGN

Sony has confirmed it's delaying the free PS Plus version of DriveClub in the face of ongoing server issues.
We are seeing a lot of activity and new social behaviours right now, but unfortunately this is pushing the servers to their absolute limits.

"In order to help all DriveClub players who have the game already, we're temporarily holding back the PS Plus Edition and the My DriveClub app to ease the load and traffic to the servers. This should give players a better chance of connecting to the game servers and, once the servers are operating well, we'll be sure to let you know when the PS Plus Edition and My DriveClub app will be available to download.

"To our PS Plus fans, we're sorry you're having to wait longer to play, but we want to ensure that when you come on board, you get the best experience possible. Rest assured, if you've pre-ordered the full game upgrade from the PS Plus Edition, you will still get the full version of DriveClub digitally, and if you can't get online you'll be able to get started offline like everybody else with single player mode as you start your DriveClub tour.
Launch game that was supposed to be free, delayed til spring, delayed again til fall, paid version added, and free users are still left int he cold. Bullshit of the highest calibre.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 8, 2014, 11:51 AM

Stewing on this, one would imagine all version would be released at the same time, so the question is, how did the PS+ version not make it to store with the others before they had server problems. Unless of course they already had server problems and released the paid version anyway. Which might seem ok to some of you since they paid, except I paid for Driveclub way back last November when it was already slated for PS+ members.

Once again, shady.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 8, 2014, 02:40 PM

I started in on the DLC for Far Cry 3, Blood Dragon yesterday. I've only completed the first mission, but it's awesome so far. Completely hilarious and incredibly self-referential, mocking itself, the FPS genre, and bad '80s action movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZUueizrR0A

Check out the first few minutes, the tutorial you're forced to go through sets the mood.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 8, 2014, 02:43 PM

Another in an ever growing list of games I was excited for but didn't pick up once it was released.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 8, 2014, 03:56 PM

Picked up the whole series for cheap during a Steam sale.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2014, 04:13 PM

Driveclub PS Plus Edition Delayed by Server Issues - IGN

Launch game that was supposed to be free, delayed til spring, delayed again til fall, paid version added, and free users are still left int he cold. Bullshit of the highest calibre.
Wow, what a dick move. How many pre-oders and day one sales did they report for the paid version? I can't see it being outrageously high when everyone thought a free version was going to be available. I call bullshit on the whole "servers pushed to their absolute limit" excuse.

P
Oct 8, 2014, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I started in on the DLC for Far Cry 3, Blood Dragon yesterday. I've only completed the first mission, but it's awesome so far. Completely hilarious and incredibly self-referential, mocking itself, the FPS genre, and bad '80s action movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZUueizrR0A

Check out the first few minutes, the tutorial you're forced to go through sets the mood.
Not strictly DLC, though: you can buy it without owning FC3, at least on PC.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2014, 08:58 AM

Phil Spencer on indie parity clause "I want people to feel like they're first class" - NeoGAF

Vive la résolution! Assassin's Creed dev thinks industry is dropping 60 fps standard | News | TechRadar
"At Ubisoft for a long time we wanted to push 60 fps. I don't think it was a good idea because you don't gain that much from 60 fps and it doesn't look like the real thing. It's a bit like The Hobbit movie, it looked really weird.
"30 was our goal, it feels more cinematic. 60 is really good for a shooter, action adventure not so much. It actually feels better for people when it's at that 30fps. It also lets us push the limits of everything to the maximum.
"It's like when people start asking about resolution. Is it the number of the quality of the pixels that you want? If the game looks gorgeous, who cares about the number?"
It's hard to believe these people are professionals.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2014, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Not strictly DLC, though: you can buy it without owning FC3, at least on PC.
Yes, I believe that's true for the Xbox too.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2014, 11:43 AM

​The Future Of Kotaku's Video Game Coverage Is The Present
Short version: While we remain a site that puts gaming first and will continue to tell you about the most interesting games as soon as possible, we are shifting from what has been a heavily pre-release approach to covering video games to one that gives a lot more attention to games after they've been released.
If this sounds like a no-brainer to you, trust me, it's not. Most gaming news and opinion outlets, including Kotaku, typically drift away from covering even the biggest games within a couple of weeks following those games' release dates. And, sure, we and other gaming outlets covered the Luigi Death Stare meme after the game came out, but it was thanks to Yannick's attention that we covered the Mario Kart 8 hacking scene in July, ran detailed impressions of the game's first major patch in late August, explored the issues with Nintendo's change to the game's online ranking system in September, and continue to follow the game to this day.

Typically, we would have probably only covered the game's downloadable content announcements, because that kind of "news" comes easy, via a press release from Nintendo. Instead, we've offered the kind of stories that a game company wouldn't ask us to cover but feel vital to telling the story of Mario Kart 8 and the community of gamers playing the game. This feels right, and it feels more relevant than simply doing a bulk of Mario Kart 8 coverage prior to release—covering Nintendo-administered preview demos, E3 announcements and such.
I don't know why I avoid kotaku, I've always thought Totilo sense of journalism was right.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2014, 09:53 AM

Word on the street is Driveclub servers went down because the amount of server requests by DC is causing Evo Studios to DDOS their own servers.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2014, 12:16 PM

Looking at shit in my amazon cart, I'm coming to the conclusion I should expect PS4 game prices to fall with the same quickness as last gen games, at least for the foreseeable future.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2014, 02:35 PM

https://twitter.com/dragonage/status/520628704616407040
Confirmed: #DAI resolution is 1080p on PS4, and 900p on Xbox One. We maximized the current potential of each platform.
FIGHT

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2014, 02:42 PM

Word on the street is Driveclub servers went down because the amount of server requests by DC is causing Evo Studios to DDOS their own servers.
What an excellent excuse!!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2014, 02:43 PM

What an excellent excuse!!
Explains why it took them an extra year to get the game out, I guess.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2014, 02:30 AM

Damn, either they're really ignorant f%^&%, or more likely, they're saying anything they can to put this generation of (grossly underachieving) consoles in the best possible light. I'm sure some mouthbreathers will believe that, but come on, geez!

"At Ubisoft for a long time we wanted to push 60 fps. I don't think it was a good idea because you don't gain that much from 60 fps and it doesn't look like the real thing. It's a bit like The Hobbit movie, it looked really weird.

"30 was our goal, it feels more cinematic. 60 is really good for a shooter, action adventure not so much. It actually feels better for people when it's at that 30fps. It also lets us push the limits of everything to the maximum.

"It's like when people start asking about resolution. Is it the number of the quality of the pixels that you want? If the game looks gorgeous, who cares about the number?"
The stupid, it burns! It burns!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

P
Oct 11, 2014, 09:35 AM

The 60fps thing is mostly because framerate is not even - if your average is 60, then the minimum is likely to be high enough to not be annoying. It has also gone up a bit over the years, because we aren't stretching our GPUs as hard anymore - a PC GPU that can handle 720p@60 is not a big deal these days. There is an element of diminishing returns as well - 40fps is better than 30, but the gap between 30 and 20 is much bigger.

What has happened here is that the Xbone can handle 900p, and they likely have frame rate drops low enough that it can't do it at 60fps all the time. They then made the decision to focus on 30fps all the time instead of 60 with drops. That I can respect, especially given the game. But that they limit the PS4 to 900p when it can clearly do 1080p, that is bullshit, and they are flat out lying when they argue about the CPU being limiting on the resolution they can handle.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 13, 2014, 10:55 AM

Today in lies, damn lies, and statistics: 'Destiny' racks up an average of 3.2 million players per day
Bungie has revealed that the hybrid of shooter and online role-playing game is managing an average of 3.2 million players per day in the month since its launch -- no mean feat given that even a well-established (if subscription-based) rival like World of WarCraft has 6.8 million users. That's also more active players than the company saw during a similar period for both Halo 3 and Halo: Reach combined, so the absence of a familiar franchise clearly isn't spooking users.
ASTERISK *It's on 4 ****ing platforms, not one.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2014, 11:46 AM

Not to derail, but my hardcore-driving-games-on-consoles friend ran out of adjectives to describe how good Forza Horizon 2 is.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 13, 2014, 05:37 PM

I just realized we still don't have a Planetside date. For the beta, either.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 15, 2014, 03:24 PM

Some interesting heresay that's getting buzz.
Ubisoft says that MS & Sony are 'pressuring them' into 30FPS on PC; Phil: Not true - NeoGAF

Soe people might be losing their job on this.

P
Oct 15, 2014, 04:29 PM

MS has a stated strategy of wanting to make their customers feel like "first class customers". This matches extremely well with that.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2014, 01:08 AM

Not to derail, but my hardcore-driving-games-on-consoles friend ran out of adjectives to describe how good Forza Horizon 2 is.
That'll be my first purchase for the XBone when I get mine next month. The first Horizon game was amazingly fun and gorgeous.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2014, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
That'll be my first purchase for the XBone when I get mine next month. The first Horizon game was amazingly fun and gorgeous.
Its on the south coast of France and apparently the scenery is fantastic. I too enjoyed Horizon. I never did Forza stuff online, NFS was always a pain since everyone is trying to ram you.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 16, 2014, 04:04 PM

PS4 System Software Preview – USB Music Player, New Home Screen Colors, More – PlayStation.Blog
PS4 has been on sale for almost a year and we’re committed to improving the player experience in entirely new ways. As always, we welcome feedback as part of our ongoing effort to make PS4 the best place to play.
USB Music Player: PS4 owners can play their own music in the background while playing a game using USB Music Player*. After inserting a USB stick loaded with music into the PS4, a new option for USB Music Player will appear. Supported filename extensions include MP3, MP4, M4A, and 3GP.
Change colors: In addition to the ability to add a theme, PS4 owners can also change the background of the home screen from light blue to one of seven new colors: gold, blue, red, green, purple, pink, and gray.
Players You May Know: PS4 will now suggest players you may know in the ‘What’s New’ section, recommending gamers your friends frequently play with.
Enhancements to Live Broadcasting: Masamune brings a variety of improvements to live broadcasting on PS4. In the Live From PlayStation app, PS4 owners can now select a Featured channel, which includes official broadcasts from PlayStation, broadcasts from people on a players friend list, and any game channel that the player has followed. Additionally, Live From PlayStation now has filters for searching broadcasts on a specific game, as well as support for archived broadcasts.
Content Area and Library: PS4’s Content Area, which shows the latest games and apps a PS4 owner has used, has been redesigned to help make it easier to quickly find and access content. It now shows 15 of a player’s most used apps or games, and additional items will be added to a player’s Library. The Library on PS4 has improved filter and sort functions to help organize contented by type (game / app / TV & video), name (a – z or z – a), recently used, or install date.
Enhanced Voice Commands: The ability to control PS4 using voice has been improved. Players can now say ‘PlayStation’ to begin commands, and ‘All Commands,’ to see a list of all voice command options available. New voice commands were added for live broadcasting, including “Start broadcast,” “End broadcast,” and “Find face.”
Add To Library: The monthly free PlayStation Plus games will have an ‘Add to Library’ button in the PlayStation Store. This button will add a game to a PS4 owner’s library without downloading it – saving space on their hard drive.
Back Up Data: Data on PS4 can be backed up and resorted using USB storage. This will back up all data for the console, including settings, save data, screenshots, video clips, download data, and more.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 16, 2014, 04:25 PM

We knew there'd be days like this, but still shitty.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2014, 05:25 PM

That shit better be fixed by the time I get home.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 16, 2014, 07:07 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 17, 2014, 09:21 AM

Man spends two years building amazing megacity in Minecraft

This is gorgeous, but I'm partial to SimCity.

Also from the comments:

Just breathtaking.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 17, 2014, 09:35 AM

NPD Time, it's a whopper, filled with salty tears.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW] - NeoGAF
• PS+ subscriptions have doubled since Destiny's launch.
• PS4: Nearly triple August, best selling. VentureBeat reports this as approximately 550,000 units, though does not explicitly list this as the correct sales volume.
This would the second best-selling month for a console ever, behind a September for the Wii.

• In addition, the PS4 sold more copies of every EA Sports game released last month than any other system and was the largest console for Destiny.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 17, 2014, 03:51 PM

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2014, 08:19 PM

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/17/h...on-20gb-patch/

Halo Master Chief Collection needs a 20GB day one update download. That's a lot of update, good luck if you're not on a fibre connection.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Rumor
Oct 18, 2014, 08:37 PM

Wow.

On a side note, I am hoping to pick one up either Black Friday or Cyber Monday.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

P
Oct 21, 2014, 06:09 AM

Jade Raymond, exec producer on Assassin's Creed series, managing director the studio and the other person usually named as creator of the franchise, leaves Ubisoft on October 29th. Which happens to be the day after AC:U was going to launch, although it has now been pushed two weeks.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 21, 2014, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
'Halo: The Master Chief Collection' needs 20GB day-one patch

Halo Master Chief Collection needs a 20GB day one update download. That's a lot of update, good luck if you're not on a fibre connection.
Believe it or not its because they couldn't fit everything onto one disc. Why they were incapable of adding a second disc is best left with questions like, "Who thought DRM was a good idea?"

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2014, 10:21 AM

I'd like to see the sales of this. I really can't see too many people buying it, except those to new to the HALO franchise or that miss HALO 4.

I'll wait for HALO 5.

I can't really see anyone playing all that over, again.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules