Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > GTAV

GTAV (Page 4)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 16, 2013, 12:23 PM

Demolition derby on top of the tallest building (I think)

The chopper is the one that transported the cars there.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 16, 2013, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'm popping in here quick and not reading anything lest there be spoilers.

I liked 3 and San Andreas. Vice City and 4 just pissed me off. 3 was the best of the bunch IMO.

Will I like 5?
I loved SA and hated 4. I love V. If that means anything to you.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 18, 2013, 09:37 AM

octimus
Baninated
Oct 20, 2013, 12:49 PM

@ the finale dakar
this picture is taken from the mode multiplayer of GTA V ?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2013, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by octimus View Post
@ the finale dakar
this picture is taken from the mode multiplayer of GTA V ?
Out of interest, one post and banned? Was it Rob?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 20, 2013, 04:04 PM

Probably a spammer and the spam was deleted. Rob would have complained about Dakar's picture being of an SUV.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2013, 04:09 PM

And would have made about a thousand posts before getting banned.

P
Oct 20, 2013, 05:00 PM

Yes, it was signature spam. Thorz got him.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 22, 2013, 09:59 AM

The best part of GTA V? These awful shadows from IV are gone:

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 22, 2013, 10:22 AM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2013, 12:16 PM

I finished the missions earlier this week. Overall it was pretty fun. I feel like there are fewer "side" mission than SA had, thing like collecting the lists of cars at the dock, vigilante missions, ambulance missions, trucker missions, etc.

The story was fun, the heists were a good time. I'd like to go back and replay some of them with different choices to see what would happen, I really like being able to replay missions. Some of the story felt weird to me, and I often got confused about which preppy white guy I was doing a job for. The excuses for needing to do a heist were often weak, too. Oh, for some reason I need to buy a chopper to complete the next mission? So I organize this complex heist that's 50 times more difficult than just stealing a chopper in the first place?

Anyway, I played online a bit today after not having played since I first got the game. Needless to say I did much better. I do seem to have trouble finding a decent sized group to play with - I usually end up in games with only 2 or 3 people playing. Also, it turns out everyone I know has the 360 version so I can't actually play online with friends. I do wish they had a split screen mode a la GTA:SA. The gameplay just begs for co-op play with easy coordination via people nearby. No one seems to have headsets so when playing online there's no way to talk to teammates. I think the hardest part of playing online is that there's no true pause when checking the map, so it's easy to get captured, crash, or die when trying to plan a route or navigate. It'd be much better if a co-driver could do that and give instructions to the driver.

I kind of just vomited my thoughts out there but that's what I've experienced so far.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2013, 01:58 PM

Guy created a bunch of movie references in game
Snapmatic movie references - Imgur

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2013, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I finished the missions earlier this week. Overall it was pretty fun. I feel like there are fewer "side" mission than SA had, thing like collecting the lists of cars at the dock, vigilante missions, ambulance missions, trucker missions, etc.
Pizza delivery (always my favorite).

I give them a pass mostly because so many of the details they included are unreal, and its pretty polished, IMO.

The excuses for needing to do a heist were often weak, too. Oh, for some reason I need to buy a chopper to complete the next mission? So I organize this complex heist that's 50 times more difficult than just stealing a chopper in the first place?
I thought that one was weird as well. I thought for sure there'd be a mission to steal it, but I'll take the money instead.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2013, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Guy created a bunch of movie references in game
Snapmatic movie references - Imgur
Note that the "No Country for Old Men" one wasn't fan-made, but a part of the game:

While messing around somewhere north of town on the west side of the map, you come across a dying man warning you that it's not worth it or something like that. You continue up the hill and find a circle of '80s vintage trucks and a bunch of dead bodies (and a dead dog). You pick up a briefcase with $25,000 in it and a few minutes later a few cars full of guys with guns come to hunt you down.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2013, 12:38 AM

While messing around somewhere north of town on the west side of the map, you come across a dying man warning you that it's not worth it or something like that. You continue up the hill and find a circle of '80s vintage trucks and a bunch of dead bodies (and a dead dog). You pick up a briefcase with $25,000 in it and a few minutes later a few cars full of guys with guns come to hunt you down.
That happened to me as well, but instead it was just 2 guys on dirt bikes that came hunting for me. I took them both down with head shots.

Has anyone here done the Kifflom achievement? You basically join a cult as Michael and do a bunch of tedious missions that take about 2 hours and will cost you about $50K in donations. Anyways, the payoff was quite rewarding. Scored me $2.1 million after finally meeting the cult leader and jacking the pay load.

Oh and I'm about 61% done as I've been trying to do as many side missions as possible. Getting 100% completion is going to be tough.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 8, 2013, 10:50 AM

Note that the "No Country for Old Men" one wasn't fan-made, but a part of the game
I'm well aware, but thank you.

---

Returning to little details in the game, I enjoy sucker punching NPCs. Particularly if they're engaged in a terrible conversation. So last night I clobbered some guy and his business partner took off. I walked on and spotted him down the street where he had finally collected himself. As I jogged over he began to look over his shoulder, started to pick up his walking pace, then broke out into a run as I got very close. It makes the stalking experience to much more gratifying.

Anyone pick up something with their stimulus? I picked up this bad boy:

Also, a few more photos.

My beater:

My Ricer:

The heartache of LS:

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2013, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Oh and I'm about 61% done as I've been trying to do as many side missions as possible. Getting 100% completion is going to be tough.
I think I'm at around 60%. The only remaining "official" mission I see on the map is Franklin's parachute from the top of a building, I'm guessing I have to find a helicopter somewhere to get up there.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2013, 01:20 AM

I think I'm at around 60%. The only remaining "official" mission I see on the map is Franklin's parachute from the top of a building, I'm guessing I have to find a helicopter somewhere to get up there.
Yup. I took the blimp (you get the blimp if you pre-ordered it) and parked it up there. A tight squeeze but it worked.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Nov 11, 2013, 02:20 PM

At 98.3% trying to clean up single player stuff (just spaceship parts left) and move onto some GTA Online before next gen

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2013, 11:43 AM

Money isn't as hard to get in the game as it sometimes feel. I spent the stimulus on a Stinger GT ($950,000) leaving me with around $200k left over. I had originally planned on picking up a Cheetah, so I needed about $450,000 to get there. I figured it'd take me a week or two, but by sunday night I was sitting at over $700k and was ready to purchase again.

'Course, upgrading is more expensive than I realize, even pessimistically. Top engine, brakes, and transmission are in excess of 20k each, and turbo tends to be around 50k. Bulletproof tires, which are a must, 25k. On cheaper cars you easily double their value in upgrades.

---

I've gotten pretty respectable at hunting the average bounty. It's funny human nature creates some unwritten rules and consequences of hunting. Saturday night I raced to a bounty hanging with his buddy in Sandy Shores and as I neared they got out of the car and his buddy claimed the bounty. Fair enough, I play the same way. Unexpected consequence: I kill the buddy as a **** you. Then I leave. A few minutes later I notice the now not-bounty driving my way, alone. He chases me down, kills me, and then also leaves. Well, I'm not standing for this.

So they bolt for the city. I follow and catch up around south LS. Pick off not-bounty but his buddy is on a roof and cleans my clock. I respawn, climb a ladder and have a stand-off with his buddy. Pick him off and then not-bounty returns and I manage to kill him too. At this point the cops have been attracted to our shoot-out so I die coming back down, but afterwards I head-out, my honor satisfied and the other guys having accepted their lot in life.

---

Last night a bounty showed up in NWLS, so I started driving from central LS, but he had quite a lead and headed up the west coast. I noticed someone else was on his case, so I figured I'd either lose the bounty to him or never catch either. Luckily as I reached the tip of the city the hunter had given up and as I headed up the coast, the bounty was returning. Got out of my car for accuracy and as he blew by he wrecked into a car, slowing him down enough for me to pop him and claim the 5k. Jump in my car and head out.

I stumbled upon a shoot-out in town so I start circling deciding what to do when a cluster**** of cars approached and suddenly me and my brand new Cheetah are blown sky-high – the bounty fet his honor so impugned that he blew up my personal vehicle, taking a bad sport strike and paying 9k in insurance. People are weird, yo.

---

My favorite thing about the city so far is you can tell they took a lot of time just on the buildings. It seems no matter where a shoot-out occurs, there's always a stairway or ladder nearby with which to use strategically for the highground. Makes these informal deathmatches much more interesting.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2013, 02:54 PM

‘GTA 5’ Beach Bum DLC releasing next week, confirms Rockstar - National Video Game | Examiner.com
The Beach Bum Pack will be released sometime next week.

The Beach Bum DLC will introduce new character customization options along with new vehicles and weapons to GTA Online. The downloadable content pack will be available for free. Likewise, the company is planning to update the heists and content creator soon.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2013, 02:59 PM

I appreciate the effort this guy went to to make this album.

The Adventures of Mini-Comet - Imgur

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2013, 10:19 AM

People, please be sitting down and keep any drinks away from you while you read this, I'm not paying for the coffee/keyboard damage...

Lindsay Lohan is calling her lawyers about her likeness being used in GTA V. Lindsay Lohan Goes After 'Grand Theft Auto V' | TMZ.com

Not sure whether she thinks she's Shelby Welinger , the girl being handcuffed in the cover art, or the girl you have to photograph having sex in one of the missions, but...

Bwaaaahhahahahhaaaahhahaaa!!!!11!!one!!1

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2013, 10:56 AM

Sad bitch.

badidea
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2013, 11:17 AM

I just started playing GTAV about a week ago and I think I still have to learn a lot how this game works...
Yesterday I played as Michael, visited the psychiatrist and thought that it would be just fair to take his Porsche for the amount of money he made my pay for this boring conversation ...I really like the Porsche, so I got it tuned with almost everthing that was available at the shop ...and drove to the golf club for a little game. Then I made a big mistake: I used the golf cart!
When I left the gold club, my tuned Porsche was gone and there was a golf cart parked where I left it!
Damn, is there any way to get back the car?? I think I should have parked it at a garage first, right?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2013, 05:14 PM

Has something changed in the past week? I've played online a bit in the two days, and I've found it nearly impossible to find a car. The streets are nearly deserted with very few NPC drivers and almost zero parked cars.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2014, 11:29 PM

GTA:V online servers down for 24 hours for "maintenance." Everyone says this is when all of the illegitimate money disappears. While playing on Christmas Day, someone randomly came by and gave me $56,000,000. Playing has been way more fun since then - I can actually afford decent cars, and there's no need to grind away at missions by myself for hours only to spend it all on a handful of sticky bombs. This game is a much better sandbox game than RPG and the combination of expensive ammo and paltry mission payouts means actually just screwing around in online mode is too expensive. We'll see how things look when the servers come back up tomorrow.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2014, 11:48 PM

Jesus Bogues! I see you attained 100% completion on single player. That's some serious grindin'!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 16, 2014, 10:57 AM

GTA:V online servers down for 24 hours for "maintenance." Everyone says this is when all of the illegitimate money disappears. While playing on Christmas Day, someone randomly came by and gave me $56,000,000. Playing has been way more fun since then - I can actually afford decent cars, and there's no need to grind away at missions by myself for hours only to spend it all on a handful of sticky bombs. This game is a much better sandbox game than RPG and the combination of expensive ammo and paltry mission payouts means actually just screwing around in online mode is too expensive. We'll see how things look when the servers come back up tomorrow.
It's still ridiculous to imagine that in the beginning people were avoiding each other because the money you lost on death took 5 minute missions to earn back.

The only thing weirder than earning the money is the bizarre pricing schemes. This color red is 10x the cost of the other red. All clothes cost hundreds of dollars, yet fixing my vehicles maxes out at $500 no matter what.

Not to mention 10 cars seem limiting even when you don't have much money. The Simeon missions pay out poorly compared to selling to LSC every hour, etc. etc.

Still, its a ****ing blast with friends, but the in between time becomes a real grind. If it comes to next-gen F2P, I'll likely play again.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2014, 12:51 PM

Sounds like it's back up and much money is gone - some people lost legit money, some ended up with extra. Some cars lost, some stayed. There was talk of buying and modding 10 Adders to re-sell after the money was taken away, but there are mixed reports about whether or not Adders can be sold now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 16, 2014, 01:18 PM

Sounds like it's back up and much money is gone - some people lost legit money,
I'm curious how Rockstar will respond to these claims and if they'll rectify the situation if they're true.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2014, 10:19 PM

Now if only they'd spent their downtime fixing the bugs and irritating points of the game!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2014, 03:40 PM

My current complaint is that tanks are overpowered. I suppose they're hoping that taking money and vehicles away will reduce the number of tanks, but that doesn't make them nearly invincible. The natural enemy of the tank would seem to be the fighter jet, but the fighter jet missiles automatically target police vehicles. It's pretty normal for a tank to be swarmed with police vehicles, so it's hard/impossible to hit a tank with a missile. If there was some sort of good anti-tank weapon I wouldn't be so mad about it, but they seem pretty invincible, and being blown up or run over by a tank doesn't fault the tank driver, so you're responsible for replacement costs of the vehicle.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 17, 2014, 03:41 PM

Yes, tanks are very overpowered. When I was playing, it reminded me of battlefield because it needed balancing. Too many sticky bombs to kill.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2014, 03:27 PM

I'm really, really considering picking this up when it comes out.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2014, 03:27 PM

Oh, and I haven't heard shit about Heist mode and it's been a year now. That's incredible.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2014, 03:29 PM

Anyone pick up something with their stimulus? I picked up this bad boy:

Also, a few more photos.

My beater:

My Ricer:
Crap. This post was pretty tempting and then I realized these were MY cars and I think I'm in.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2014, 12:18 AM

I'm really, really considering picking this up when it comes out.
Great game dude! Single player and multiplayer kept me coming back for more.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2014, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Great game dude! Single player and multiplayer kept me coming back for more.
I already had it on 360. Duh.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2014, 05:57 PM

Without friends to play with it kind of got old for me. I'd pick it up for PC but I feel like I'd run into the same issue there, too.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 21, 2014, 03:05 PM

HamSandwich
Dec 1, 2014, 01:45 PM

Howdy!

I asked in another thread already, hope it works around here. I want to start at 55%, I already played on a PS3 and eventually came out at 55% of the game completed... Any cheats to get there? Any pre-saves on the web?

Greetings,
Peter Parker

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 1, 2014, 01:56 PM

No, R* want everyone to start over on the single-player, to fully experience the first-person or some BS. Honestly, I'm not sure it'd have been possible even if they wanted to let you pick up where you left off.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2014, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post
Howdy!

I asked in another thread already, hope it works around here. I want to start at 55%, I already played on a PS3 and eventually came out at 55% of the game completed... Any cheats to get there? Any pre-saves on the web?

Greetings,
Peter Parker
Remember how I said that you're the worst? This is why.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2015, 11:29 AM

It's really amazing how 3 out of every 5 voices you hear in a lobby are pre-pubescent. I feel like kids are more likely to want to use a mic by a large margin.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2015, 11:49 AM

When I played, 3 out of every 5 voices was a black guy either talking shit or rapping along to Radio Los Santos, but on a couple second delay.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 19, 2015, 11:53 AM

Black guys account for maybe 1 of 5 for me. No rapping, thankfully.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 20, 2015, 02:53 PM

Lots of latin american guys, too.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2015, 03:19 PM

Oh yeah, constant yelling in Spanish, and always a group of several of them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules