Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 92)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 21, 2014, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
I'd like to see the sales of this. I really can't see too many people buying it, except those to new to HALO or that miss HALO 4.
You're wrong. First off, Two of the games were from two gens ago. Second, nostalgia sells. Third, players love familiarity (which is why sequel sell). Halo is a huge franchise. And I expect X1ers will be the biggest MS/Halo fanboys on the planet. (It also will allow multi across maps of several games).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2014, 12:26 PM

The Master Chief Collection is going to be absolutely huge for Xbone. No doubt about it.

Every student I have that owns an XB1 is getting it, and some who don't are thinking about buying one for the collection alone.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 21, 2014, 12:29 PM

Here's an interesting question: Which sells more?

GTA V next-gen rerelease (both consoles) or Halo: MCC

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2014, 12:32 PM

Oh, wow...

I have no idea. That's a toss-up.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 21, 2014, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Oh, wow...

I have no idea. That's a toss-up.
If the install base was even I feel like it'd be no contest.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2014, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You're wrong. First off, Two of the games were from two gens ago. Second, nostalgia sells. Third, players love familiarity (which is why sequel sell). Halo is a huge franchise. And I expect X1ers will be the biggest MS/Halo fanboys on the planet. (It also will allow multi across maps of several games).
Not to mention Halo 2 got remastered. That game alone will spark interest on the nostalgia factor. 4 games for the price of one with a 4000 total gamer score consisting of 401 achievements!

Halo: TMCC achievement list

The LASO (Legendary All Skulls On) achievements look grueling! Holy crap I hope those can be done in co-op and not just single player!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 22, 2014, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
4000 total gamer score consisting of 401 achievements!
Be still our beating hearts.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 22, 2014, 11:07 AM

Someone on ars made an interesting observation. Is shipping a portion of the MCC digitally an anti-resale measure? Given the cost of a second blu-ray couldn't possibly that high, I think so. After all, this game was likely green-lighted under the assumption of the initial DRM model.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Oct 22, 2014, 01:37 PM

Don't know, but I've got someone I can ask.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 22, 2014, 01:44 PM

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2014, 03:36 PM

Was is ever reported how many copies of DriveClub were sold during the first week?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2014, 03:38 PM

P
Oct 22, 2014, 05:44 PM

I had to make a note of this:

Kara is a firm proponent, which I can tell from a chain of her Achievements a mile long on my feed, but Gabriel had to get the Xbox One out of a closet so she could even play it. It’s not even hooked up normally. That’s such a gruesome state of affairs that I don’t know how to quantify it. For a while, it was just the Kinect that was exiled. Then, it was the entire spear of Microsoft’s initiative. It’s hard to imagine a metaphor that can contain such a reversal of fortune, but I’ll try: it’s like they put the sword back in the stone
Gabe from Penny Arcade doesn't even bother to keep the Xbone plugged in. If you needed any more signs of how far MS has fallen, this is the best one yet.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2014, 06:54 PM

Overall reception of Alien Isolation has been quite positive, and that's something I've been keeping an eye on for a short while. Looks like Destiny will have to wait even longer.

P
Oct 24, 2014, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Overall reception of Alien Isolation has been quite positive, and that's something I've been keeping an eye on for a short while. Looks like Destiny will have to wait even longer.
If you get it, let me know. I have a freebie left from when I got the new GPU, and Alien Isolation is one of the options.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

P
Oct 24, 2014, 10:09 AM

Ubisoft has revealed sys reqs for AC:Unity, and they're frankly ridiculous: Recommended is a GTX 780 or a 290X, minimum is a 680 or 7970 (ie, 770 or 280X if we're talking rebrands), and an insane 50 GB of HD space. Ubisoft seriously needs to learn how to code. AC isn't exactly a series known for its pretty games.

(And unless you think I'm bitter, my gaming PC actually meets those recommended reqs. Not going to get it anyway, unless they're essentially giving it away as part of a bundle with something I want in a year or so.)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Ubisoft seriously needs to learn how to code.
I have a feeling this is a win-win for them. They put minimal effort into the port, limiting the consumer base (and the piracy base) making the consoles version more attractive.

But yeah, PC ports have certainly been getting a worse and worse rep the past few years.

P
Oct 24, 2014, 11:17 AM

I think they're overestimating the attractiveness of AC. Lately all I see is that the last AC that was any good was either 2 or Brotherhood. PC gamers aren't exactly starved for games with all the top quality indie games coming out these days.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2014, 11:19 AM

I think they're overestimating the attractiveness of AC.
This is the piracy corollary. People won't pay up front to play an unknown, but they will pirate the same game to see if its any good.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2014, 02:05 PM

Analysis: Worldwide PS4 sales at least 40 percent better than Xbox One | Ars Technica

PS4 Firmware Update 2.0 “Masamune” Will Be Released in Five Days | DualShockers
PS4's next software update, Masamune, will be available on 10/28. Includes Share Play, USB Music player, and more!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2014, 02:26 PM

Is anyone here buying it?

Hey, I hope you guys are all right that I'm wrong. Maybe I'm being too practical about it. But I've bought every HALO from HALO 2 on (and HALO 1 on Mac), but I've NEVER bought a remake.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2014, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Is anyone here buying it?
Does anyone here have an X1?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2014, 03:14 PM

Bogues. But that dudes been MIA for a while.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2014, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I saw you were playing Alien Isolation last night. How is it? Tired of BF4 already?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2014, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Bogues. But that dudes been MIA for a while.
He got a life, so to speak. Got married, moved down south, probably has a kid now. Anyway I had the discussion about the X1 with his crew back in 360 days and they seemed unphased by the DRM. Reeked of inertia.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2014, 03:56 PM

LOL! You guys get me talking about HALO and I forget none of you are on X1...

I guess we won't have a HALO 5 thread.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2014, 04:53 PM

One of the Bogues brothers is busy on Destiny (I assume on X1), cause I keep on seeing him getting achievements on True Achievements. He has more achievements than I do on Destiny. Then again, he's a better player than I am, so it probably doesn't take him as long as me to get those achievements.
MacBook Pro

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2014, 08:25 AM

Yes I do, but I do the driving games. I am and always have been completely crap at running around and shooting things, or running around and hiding. Always have been, since Doom. I run around, I get lost, I die. Repeatedly.

So I probably won't be getting the Halo box set .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2014, 09:00 AM

DESPERATION
Xbox One Available for $349 Starting November 2; Up to $150 in Savings
The holidays are starting early this year as the Season of Xbox will begin on November 2, when Xbox One will be available for a special, limited-time promotional offer of $349 in the U.S.
Dropped $150 in a year. This is absurd.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2014, 09:11 AM

It occurs to me, if they can't win the holiday season in the US after this offer, the X1 will be the laughing stock of the industry.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2014, 10:30 AM

So, this story doesn't speak well of me, but…

I was over at a buddy's yesterday and he broke MW2 to try and lure me into some gaming. And I'm watching it and for some reason I have this weird thought "This looks so next gen". And I'm staring at it, the textures are crap, but the animation and gun details are solid and I'm thinking, "Why do I think this old-ass game looks this good?"

Because MW2 runs at 60 fps. And it's consistent (compared to BF4 on PS4).

Seriously, **** 1080p, 60 fps is just that good.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2014, 11:29 AM

DESPERATION

It occurs to me, if they can't win the holiday season in the US after this offer, the X1 will be the laughing stock of the industry.
Seems like a desperate move, but the XBone isn't actually performing badly, is it? I thought it was just performing worse than the PS4.

Seems premature, especially with Halo:MCC coming.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2014, 11:30 AM

Seriously, **** 1080p, 60 fps is just that good.
Wasn't it sek that said he'd take fps over resolution anytime? Jerky seems to be felt more than 'un-pretty' for me. I don't play on a TV screen though.

Also, I understood that all the MW2 lobbies were hacked. Was it easy to find ones that weren't?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Wasn't it sek that said he'd take fps over resolution anytime? Jerky seems to be felt more than 'un-pretty' for me. I don't play on a TV screen though.
For a shooter, it's especially paramount. But home consoles should be able to pull off both 1080p and 60fps in 2014.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2014, 11:42 AM

But home consoles should be able to pull off both 1080p and 60fps in 2014.
…and they can, but there are tradeoffs. Tradeoffs no developer will make, because screenshots.

P
Oct 27, 2014, 12:15 PM

I think the PS4 can do a solid 1080p60 with rather nice looking graphics. You can use big, pretty textures and run a basic AA and it would look great. What you can't have is complex geometries and massively complicated shaders for fancy effects and reflections, because the GPU in that chip is missing power there. For the Xbone it would be trickier, because you're missing the ROPs you'd need to get good AA and you don't have the memory bandwidth for lots of big textures, but you could fit a few in that eSRAM and not turn up the AA so high.

I think that if game developers spent more time with big beautiful textures and less with futzing over jagged edges and too complex background geometries, we could have well-running games on today's consoles. Unfortunately, they're still stuck in the idea that they need to impress with screenshots, and then you can't have jaggies.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2014, 12:19 PM

To be fair, armchair developers love to rip on jaggies. Particularly if they're PC people.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2014, 12:19 PM

Also, I understood that all the MW2 lobbies were hacked. Was it easy to find ones that weren't?
I didn't notice any, but I'm not up to form anyway.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2014, 12:21 PM

Seems like a desperate move, but the XBone isn't actually performing badly, is it? I thought it was just performing worse than the PS4.
It's getting crushed in Europe and lagging behind on it's home turf. And it's getting murdered in the PR war – first DRM, then kinect, and now power.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2014, 12:52 PM

News: Resolution doesn't sell games, says Far Cry 4 dev - 1080p debate is a "weird echo chamber" - OXM US
"Resolution doesn't sell games, says Far Cry 4 dev" to XBOX publication. Conveniently ignores any talk of framerate.

P
Oct 27, 2014, 01:13 PM

To be fair, armchair developers love to rip on jaggies. Particularly if they're PC people.
Sure, because they're obvious in screenshots. I just wish that developers were strong enough to stand up to that BS.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2014, 05:04 PM

Yep, been my stance since the "controversy" of Halo 3 not running at full 720p broke. Bungie's own reasoning was "game running smoother > more pixels" which as we all know is just common sense.

If you get it, let me know. I have a freebie left from when I got the new GPU, and Alien Isolation is one of the options.
I bought it and played for a few hours, not nearly enough for even a cursory review of the the gameplay but I have a few quick thoughts. I'll start a thread after my next session I imagine.

•Very pretty game. With the new PS4 lighting and particle effects seem to be the most noticeable improvement in graphical quality, which should really shine on a game like this. Cutscenes are fairly amazing to look at, but suffer from odd skips and jumps...which do not happen during gameplay.

•As a fairly huge fan of the Alien franchise I felt at home right away. Ambient noises are pitch perfect and the sights are all familiar without coming off as shamelessly derivative.

•I'll name the games I've played in the last decade that have allowed full controller mapping, Metro series and anything Valve made, seriously, let me map my own controls dammit! My main issue is using R3 L3 for crouch/sprint, but not one single preset binds either command to anything but L3 R3. I'll get used to it, but again, just let me bind what buttons feel natural to me.

•Uhh, Ripley's daughter sounds and looks like her a bit, convincing daughter material.

•Also nice to see the ventilation shaft continue its reign as "largest threat to overall security" in any building/starship/underwater dystopian nightmare.

•Yahtzee said this game had a feeling of Bioshock in it, but I'm immediately getting a huge System Shock 2 vibe from it, which is awesome because that game was terrifying.

•Accidentally used two of my 3 flares hitting square to interact instead of X (cough cough)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2014, 09:26 AM

PS4 versus Xbox One: Microsoft outspends Sony on TV advertising | GamesBeat | Games | by Jeff Grubb
Microsoft has spent more than $47 million for Xbox One ads on television this year, according to data from iSpot.tv. That is around 50 percent more than Sony’s $30 million. With that increased marketing budget, Microsoft has had 5,000 commercials while Sony has settled for closer to 3,000. This shows that Sony is happily riding positive buzz and consumer word of mouth, and it also reveals that Microsoft doesn’t want to concede the multibillion-dollar console-gaming market to Sony.

Xbox head: Minecraft sequel may not “make the most sense” | Ars Technica

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2014, 11:44 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2014, 03:23 PM

Driveclub news:
Hi everyone,

We know we have been quiet over the last few days which was because we wanted to offer you news when it has a meaningful impact on your experience of DRIVECLUB. The feedback you offered has been invaluable to the team because it’s informed our updates to iron out the major issues affecting you as quickly as possible.

Our diagnostics show the majority of you are now able to get online and racing. This increased stability has meant that statistics and accolades are updating efficiently now, so hopefully you have been having fun boosting your fame and watching how you compare to your friends and other racers around the world.

Today we also released a server update to optimise multiplayer matchmaking so you will now be matched with more suitable players based on the type of internet connection you have, which means matchmaking should be more reliable.

This update will also fix some bugs we had with clubs where some players couldn't join or leave a club. Improvements continue to be made to the servers and our next significant game update will be released this week. This will boost connectivity and provide a better overall experience.
No mention of PS+!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2014, 03:32 PM

PSN down. Because releasing a 300 MB patch is just too much. *sigh*

(Also last I saw the youtube app isn't out yet… in the US)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2014, 07:04 PM

I was wondering what the issue was. I had a half-day today, and thought I would do some solo Crucible on Destiny.

Nope.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2014, 12:43 AM

I'll have one next week. Got my COD 1TB HD bundle ordered. Also got an e-mail from M$ saying they're going to drop an honor the $50 holiday price drop. Score for me!

And yes, Halo: TMCC and Forza Horizon 2 are on my list of games to get.

DESPERATION

Actually when you look at it, Microsoft should have given gamers the choice of a Kinectless console from start with a $400 price tag to compete with PS4. They finally came to their senses about 6 months later. Everyone knew it was going to happen eventually. When you really look at it, it's really only a $50 drop.

This brings me to my next point. It's never worth it to invest in becoming an early adopter for a new console at least via the last few gen consoles. It's been what, a year since their releases? Give me a solid lineup of at least 10 games on either console to sway me into buying one through last month. What have you played on your PS4s? BF4 and Destiny? Woohoo! Sign me up!

Developers need time to get their feet wet in making games on new platforms. Now we're starting to get into some solid releases that have caught my attention. I've been extremely happy with my 360 until now. It's now finally time to upgrade and I'm saving $150 on my XBone from the initial price tag.

And last, look at all the initial bugs and improvements made to both console's online services since inception. Every month M$ is releasing updates that's improving XB Live interface. PS as well.

Nothing's better and cheaper than the buzz of positive word of mouth advertising.
( Last edited by KCrosbie; Oct 29, 2014 at 01:25 AM. )

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2014, 01:20 AM

Oh BTW, Titanfall on XBone is 50% off this week at $25.

The season pass will cost ya $8.25 (67% savings).

I don't even own the console yet, but that's got my attention!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2014, 08:54 AM

I was wondering what the issue was. I had a half-day today, and thought I would do some solo Crucible on Destiny.

Nope.
Don't worry, it was a good day to miss Destiny. I logged in to have Bungie give an update to the game that they claimed made it more "stable". I think they broke half of it instead. Got nothing but disconnects and slowdowns every 15 minutes. I hope it's better when I get home today. From the response on the net, I wasn't the only one.

Not sure if this was X1 only or all platforms, though.
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules