Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 93)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2014, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
I'll have one next week
Right. So you don't have one yet.

Actually when you look at it, Microsoft should have given gamers the choice of a Kinectless console from start with a $400 price tag to compete with PS4. They finally came to their senses about 6 months later. Everyone knew it was going to happen eventually. When you really look at it, it's really only a $50 drop.
Kinect was mandatory because, like DRM it was part of their master plan. They didn't get rid of it because it sucked, they got rid of it because the of the sales. We told them before it released that it was inflating the price and nobody was interested.

This brings me to my next point. It's never worth it to invest in becoming an early adopter for a new console at least via the last few gen consoles.
I've got over 1000 hours in BF4, and had a blast playing at twice the grame rate and over twice the players compared to 360. Oh and I've been watching blu-ray movies which I could before. If I bought it tomorrow I'd save - $0. Totally worth it.

It's now finally time to upgrade and I'm saving $150 on my XBone from the initial price tag.
Well, according to you you're only saving $50 when you look at it…

But seriously, the flaw here is you're buying an xbox one. I guess love Halo because otherwise there's no reason to do it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2014, 09:02 AM

So Sony upgraded Party Chat again. It's nearing 360 quality now. Less muffled sounding, more clarity. Odd that it was a stealth part of their update.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2014, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Right. So you don't have one yet.

Kinect was mandatory because, like DRM it was part of their master plan. They didn't get rid of it because it sucked, they got rid of it because the of the sales. We told them before it released that it was inflating the price and nobody was interested.
They didn't get rid of kinect, it's still included from what I read in the article. Frankly I thought they would of got rid of it (from the package). I haven't used Kinect on X1. I did try it on the Xbox 360 for the game Gunstringer.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2014, 10:51 AM

So Sony upgraded Party Chat again. It's nearing 360 quality now. Less muffled sounding, more clarity. Odd that it was a stealth part of their update.
I suppose that might be why.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2014, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
They didn't get rid of kinect, it's still included from what I read in the article. Frankly I thought they would of got rid of it (from the package). I haven't used Kinect on X1. I did try it on the Xbox 360 for the game Gunstringer.
It was mandatory. By enabling a kinect-less SKU they got rid of it. Unless you want to show kinect still makes up the majority of x1 sales, which would be interesting.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2014, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I suppose that might be why.
Well duh. The stealth part was noteworthy. But it's still quite welcome.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2014, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Don't worry, it was a good day to miss Destiny. I logged in to have Bungie give an update to the game that they claimed made it more "stable". I think they broke half of it instead. Got nothing but disconnects and slowdowns every 15 minutes. I hope it's better when I get home today. From the response on the net, I wasn't the only one.

Not sure if this was X1 only or all platforms, though.
That's funny, the update seems to have fixed the disconnect issues I was having this past week with my PS4.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2014, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
That's funny, the update seems to have fixed the disconnect issues I was having this past week with my PS4.
PS4 superior confirmed.

just kidding

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2014, 02:53 PM

Personally I think the PS4's new party chat sounds much better than the 360's. I was in the party last night with the majority of people using third parity mics. The clarity was amazing.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2014, 02:54 PM

Personally I think the PS4's new party chat sounds much better than the 360's. I was in the party last night with the majority of people using third parity mics. The clarity was amazing.
When I read NeoGAF commentary was more "X1" quality, though given the start this gen that doesn't guarantee it's better than 360. Can we agree that the previous codec was worse than the 360, at least?

It was good enough that I'm mic hunting again.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2014, 03:01 PM

PS4 superior confirmed.

just kidding
Uh, no. The X1 version was working perfect until the update. I only had one or two disconnects in the previous 2-3 weeks.

I'm hoping it was just because of everyone dl'ing the update and that it's better tonight.
MacBook Pro

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2014, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Can we agree that the previous codec was worse than the 360, at least?
Oh hell yes. Party chat sounded like shit even on my Turtle Beach headset.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2014, 03:02 PM

Oh hell yes. Party chat sounded like shit even on my Turtle Beach headset.
Turtle beach is just gonna make the muffling more obvious.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2014, 04:22 PM

Driveclub PS Plus "On Hold" Amid Widespread PSN Problems - GameSpot
Compounding the problems further is the apparent confusion in what caused the Driveclub problems in the first place. Initially, Evolution said the problem was not capacity but a buggy netcode, but on Facebook the studio has now said capacity was the problem.

"The servers hit their absolute limit soon after the midnight launch on Oct 7 and we have been working around the clock every day since, to get more servers online and improve the way that the servers handle social activity between players," the studio wrote.
You lying pieces of shit. And it takes a month to get the load under control?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2014, 06:32 PM

I really love using the "PlayStation Gold Wireless Headset," which is actually "glacier white." The "Gold" tag is ridiculous market-speak, but still. The headset sounds great, feels very comfortable, and doesn't have an annoying mic jutting out four inches in front of my nose. The first Pulse headset actually had a long, extendable mic with a blinding, blue LED light at the end of it.

One small complaint for anyone interested in the Gold headset: it has two up/down volume buttons on the back that adjust the overall volume, then another set of buttons on front which adjust the mix to include more chat / less volume, or vice versa. I don't know why they didn't just make two separate controls for game volume and chat volume, because it's sometimes difficult to find a perfect balance between teammates and game audio.

The white looks great though. I even toyed with the idea of selling my launch PS4 in favor of that beautiful Destiny edition. I ordered and canceled an Amazon pre-order twice, eventually deciding the white version wasn't worth what I'd lose in the transaction (likely $100 or so).

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2014, 06:12 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2014, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
All I'm going to say is if someone wants to discuss this, it deserves it's own thread. It may go off the rails.
(It's also good fodder for the regular or PL lounge)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2014, 09:49 AM

I finally nailed down my dislike of rogue-like games. It discourages trial-and-error behavior.

P
Oct 30, 2014, 10:10 AM

All I'm going to say is if someone wants to discuss this, it deserves it's own thread. It may go off the rails.
I have considered making a thread about it several times, but I don't trust myself to remain civil in such a thread.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2014, 10:23 AM

I really don't even want to acknowledge it. It doesn't even seem like it should be an argument.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2014, 10:25 AM

I really don't even want to acknowledge it. It doesn't even seem like it should be an argument.
Aside from being toxic, I cop to being woefully uninformed about the subject.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2014, 10:57 AM

OK sorry I posted it. Don't you have admin rights on this thread Dakar, you can delete it if you want.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2014, 11:06 AM

OK sorry I posted it. Don't you have admin rights on this thread Dakar, you can delete it if you want.
Don't be sorry. It's news worthy after all. I just don't think this is a good place for it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2014, 11:16 AM

I made this thread about headsets on neogaf. sek, as a new PS4 owner you might be interested.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2014, 12:22 PM

Message from Shuhei Yoshida - President of World Wide Studios

Hi everyone,

I wanted to provide you with the latest update on DRIVECLUB. Unfortunately, the road to launch has been a little rocky, and we are truly sorry that so many of you have not been able to enjoy everything that we had hoped DRIVECLUB would deliver.

We have been listening to your feedback and realize that patience understandably is running out. Evo is working around the clock to close the gap, and we have deployed additional engineering resources to help resolve the remaining issues as soon as possible. Unfortunately, the time frames required to roll out the fully connected experience will be longer than anticipated and we do not have an exact time frame for when they will be resolved. We will continue to update you on progress and you can find the latest info on the DRIVECLUB Facebook page.

We are also very conscious that we have disappointed so many of you who were looking forward to playing the promised PS Plus Edition. Our first priority is to provide you with the best possible experience while playing DRIVECLUB. With the high volume of new players and additional server load the PS Plus Edition is anticipated to bring, we are currently not confident that we can guarantee the best online experience. Until we can ensure that everyone can enjoy the full social connected online experience, we will be postponing the release of the PS Plus Edition until further notice.

On behalf of WWS we are enormously grateful for your patience and we thank you for the continued support and encouragement. Again, we sincerely apologize for the delay. We are committed to giving you the best racing experience on PS4 – it’s taking a little longer than we hoped.

Thanks,

Shu

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2014, 02:02 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2014, 09:53 AM

Some screens of AC: Unity hve leaked and it looks like blurry last-gen garbage.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2014, 02:35 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2014, 02:45 PM

X1 closer in sales to Wii U than PS4. Holy shit.

Edit: I linked the wrong image
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Oct 31, 2014 at 04:02 PM. )

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2014, 05:07 PM

X1 closer in sales to Wii U than PS4. Holy shit.
Does nobody else think that MS HAVE to upgrade the Xbone? They can't let these sorts of stats continue.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2014, 05:26 PM

Does nobody else think that MS HAVE to upgrade the Xbone?
This was the same argument with the Wii, which was arguably far worse hardware. You can't upgrade it, only replace it. And either way, that's a huge betrayal of your customers.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2014, 05:41 PM

The console has been out for only 1 year. Kind of early to replace it or are you talking about a Sega 32x or N64 DD type upgrade.

P
Oct 31, 2014, 07:35 PM

If we translate "better" with "chip of the same size with better performance", there isn't really anything better than the PS4 yet. Sure you could make a BIGGER chip, or one with more bandwidth, but honestly: The PS4 has 18 of AMD's GCN CUs - version 1.1 it appears - and anything that is better is a lot bigger. GCN 1.2 brought some improvements to geometry scheduling and bandwidth usage, but all that means is that you can fit more power behind the same bus, or the same power behind a narrower bus (cost saving). More power costs transistors, and since we haven't yet had a shrink worth the name, more transistors means more area and power - which is expensive. I really don't care if Sony saves money making the thing, and anyway they can't drop to half the bandwidth, so they'd need some fancy engineering to equip it with the required 8 GB of RAM anyway.

Some screens of AC: Unity hve leaked and it looks like blurry last-gen garbage.
That screenshot screams "low quality textures" to me. Or a bad scaler, or maybe even the AA turned up too high. Then again, this sort of thing is exactly the stuff that gets cleaned up in final fixes before release.

Fun fact btw: AMD's "Tonga" - the chip in the top Retina iMac - brought improvements in geometry performance compared to the very similar "Tahiti" - better known as 7970 or 280X - while leaving other performance characteristics mostly identical. These improvements mostly showed up in synthetics, with one exception: Assassin's Creed games. Apparently those games have insane amounts of triangles, meaning that the geometry processor is the bottleneck rather than the shaders. Unless Ubisoft has figured out the same lesson, graphics aren't going to improve much, because geometry performance hasn't improved the way shader performance and memory bandwidth has.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2014, 11:57 PM

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2014, 01:57 AM

Damn! I wish the trailer contained actual gameplay footage and not just cut scenes.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2014, 12:20 PM

This was the same argument with the Wii, which was arguably far worse hardware. You can't upgrade it, only replace it. And either way, that's a huge betrayal of your customers.
The console has been out for only 1 year. Kind of early to replace it or are you talking about a Sega 32x or N64 DD type upgrade.
You can decide to bite the bullet, bring out a XBox 720 with better specs than your competitor who is leaving you in his dust. You could offer the XBox 720 for the same price as your competitor and offer a deal for people that have already bought the Xbone a free trade-in.

Or you could risk the next 6/7 years regretting that you didn't change tactics drastically.

MS are losing in mobile and consoles, they have to do something to avoid a bleak future.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2014, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
That screenshot screams "low quality textures" to me. Or a bad scaler, or maybe even the AA turned up too high. Then again, this sort of thing is exactly the stuff that gets cleaned up in final fixes before release.
People were pointing out it looks even worse than next-gen Black Flag, which makes me lean that this is leaked alpha or beta footage.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Nov 1, 2014, 03:35 PM

Stogieman, lots of streamers have the game already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POh1...g#action=share

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2014, 09:53 AM

This is a real image from a real game.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2014, 12:16 PM

I've been hearing the name Sunset Overdrive off and on for months. I assumed it was some kind of racing game, but apparently it's a X1 exclusive TPS. So I saw a video last night and I am more than underwhelmed. The style is great… it has influences of Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi, but the gameplay is shooting stuff while grinding Tony Hawk style. It look awful.

Got great reviews, though.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2014, 04:12 PM

jesus christ

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2014, 04:49 PM

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2014, 01:17 AM

I received my COD XBone console today and went to redeem my digital download code for COD. What happens? Yeah, I'm unable to download my game, that's what! I went to M$'s support page and saw this...

Hi Xbox members, are you having trouble redeeming a game code for Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare that came with a console bundle? We are currently hard at work trying to get this fixed. Thanks so much for your patience while we get this figured out. We'll update you again when we have more information.

Those bastards better make it up to us because we're missing out on double XP damnit!

Not the way I envisioned my first night as an XBone user.

On the other hand, when I booted it up for the first time there was a 500MB console update. I was up and running within only about 10 minutes. Not bad compared to the stories I've heard with updating Sony consoles.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2014, 02:33 AM

Well they finally corrected the error at about 10:15pm PST...

Were you having trouble redeeming a game code for Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare that came with a console bundle? If so, we're happy to inform you that the problem has been fixed! Your game codes will be working just fine now. Thanks for being patient, Xbox members.

My code worked. The bad news? 46GB installation! Crap! I certainly ain't getting on before the double XP ends at midnight. I'm gonna call M$ and bitch. I want compensation for my pain and suffering!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2014, 10:38 AM

Yeah, I'm unable to download my game, that's what! I went to M$'s support page and saw this...
Embrace the digital future! I can only imagine if they had won that battle…

---

PS4 messaging - will they ever fix the delay? : PS4
Hot truth.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2014, 12:03 PM

Seriously? That's pretty embarrassing!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2014, 12:11 PM

Seriously? That's pretty embarrassing!
That's PSN. I swear it wasn't this bad at launch, either.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2014, 12:19 PM

I sold a ton of old photography equipment on eBay the past few weeks, so I used the funds for a little something...

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2014, 01:00 PM

46GB installation! Crap! I certainly ain't getting on before the double XP ends at midnight. I'm gonna call M$ and bitch. I want compensation for my pain and suffering!
Get used to that. That's pretty much how all new games are. Your best to throw the disk in the machine before supper and let it install while you eat. Then later you can play, after you download the smaller update.

Basically, don't expect to play a new game without a lengthy install.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2014, 01:13 PM

I sold a ton of old photography equipment on eBay the past few weeks, so I used the funds for a little something...

So… you like Sunset Overdrive?

Forum Links
Forum Rules