Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming Deals and Sales

Gaming Deals and Sales (Page 3)
P
Jun 29, 2014, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Bloody dangerous these Steam sales!!!
This.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 7, 2014, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I'll probably return to Civ V eventually, but my strategy itch is currently being scratched by Crusader Kings II. Yes, still.
I just returned to Civ. It's odd those times you return to a game and are somehow better than when you left. Won most of my games cleanly with no threat (I had a near perfect game with Poland where I realized early on I could train a Culture victory easy. Stayed clear of the two civs warring on the far end of the continent, and later on conquered a city state on the other continent to send caravans to spread my culture to the other civs).

I think people are right about BNW AI being too passive, though. That said, I had a game where the AI committed genocide on Askia and later Dido. Entertaining.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 8, 2014, 08:41 AM

The nice thing about Civ is if you wait long enough, you've got new hardware that is faster than what you had before (and closer to recommended specs!)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 8, 2014, 08:45 AM

That's exactly what happened to me. I was playing on 2010 iMac last year, I've moved to my 2013 MacBook Air this year. Using a touchpad? I don't even mind.

P
Jul 8, 2014, 02:30 PM

New hardware does help. I play it on the newish gaming PC now (i5-4670k and a Radeon 7850 overclocked to somewhere between a 270 and a 270X) and it is more enjoyable when the turns go by faster.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 8, 2014, 04:15 PM

I play it at the same settings as on the iMac. I mean it is a laptop after all. And of course it causes the fans to blast for the duration.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 8, 2014, 09:15 PM

New hardware does help. I play it on the newish gaming PC now (i5-4670k and a Radeon 7850 overclocked to somewhere between a 270 and a 270X) and it is more enjoyable when the turns go by faster.
Interesting - I just picked up an R7-265 last week so along with my i5-2500k we have fairly similar setups. Just installed a new power supply today since the PC has been rebooting itself during intense gaming, makes me think the "500W" power supply I was using wasn't really pumping out that much.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 9, 2014, 07:07 AM

I've read reports that power supplies can deteriorate as much as 10 percent per year after the first year or so.

P
Jul 9, 2014, 05:26 PM

PSUs vary extremely widely. There are essentially three things you can look at:

* the brand. If you don't know them, try reviews. Personally I like Seasonic.
* 80 Plus marking. It is supposedly only for efficiency, but generally the higher markings designate quality parts.
* comparing the amperage on the 12V rail(s) across PSUs with the same wattage. A low amperage on the 12V is a sure sign that it is a poor quality unit.

P
Jul 9, 2014, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Interesting - I just picked up an R7-265 last week so along with my i5-2500k we have fairly similar setups. Just installed a new power supply today since the PC has been rebooting itself during intense gaming, makes me think the "500W" power supply I was using wasn't really pumping out that much.
There are some good deals to be had on GPUs now. That one is a very good deal, especially if you overclock. A slight overclock to 1050MHz (max what the AMD driver allows) is all but guaranteed, and higher overclocks are likely if you use the software from Asus, MSI, Sapphire etc.

P
Sep 7, 2014, 05:55 PM

A little PSA to gamers based outside the US...

When AAA games are released, download services are usually banned from discounting them. They have list price at launch and for some time after. This means that hunting for deals on new games is usually pointless.

Many of those list prices are also set to a price of $1 = €1, which makes some sense when the dollar is more expensive and there is a sales tax to pay, but right now the dollar isn't expensive and the sales tax on downloads in the EU is tiny 3% (this will change btw, but more on that some other time), so at that conversion rate, we're getting shafted - and we can't even blame the retailers, as they don't get to set the price.

Except that there is one retailer that has figured out a way around it. Gog.com mostly sells old games, but has begun selling some newer games as well, and got caught by this rule. They sell in dollars when they can, but in some cases they're not allowed - full euro price it is. They have recently decided to circumvent it by giving customers store credit corresponding to how much they have overpaid. This had slipped under at least my radar.

So right now, there is actually a reason to comparison shop. If a game you're after is available on gog.com, it will be cheaper than on Steam. Most won't be, as gog.com refuses any game with DRM, but there are good new games there. It is worth a look.

Rumor
Sep 26, 2014, 10:40 AM

Halo: Reach is free with gold on LIVE at the moment. Also, Orange Box is $5.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 20, 2014, 03:23 PM

Anyone want a free copy of Insurgency? I got the latest Humble Bundle and it's offering me three free keys for friends.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2014, 12:20 PM

Some notable Black Friday Sales for XBone products...

Best Buy:
Turtle Beach Earforce XO Headset - $39.99 (save $40)
COD limited edition controller - $39.99

Target:
Forza 5 GOTY Edition - $25
$15 Target gift card with purchase of Halo TMCC

Microsoft Online Store:
Forza Horizon 2 - $29.99
Controller rechargeable battery - $15

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 1, 2014, 12:10 PM

This was surprisingly quiet for Black Friday.

Dragon Age: Inquisition $15 off on amazon today.

P
Dec 1, 2014, 12:27 PM

Steam and GMG both had a bunch of sales, but they do that all the time.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2014, 02:06 PM

I grabbed the Humble Bundle with Saint's Row IV in it, and I also picked up Next Car Game: Wreckfest for 50% off.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 07:52 AM

I'm pissed I couldn't find any deals on a year subscription for PSN Plus.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

P
Dec 9, 2014, 07:33 PM

The Humble Bundle store has a winter sale on lots of games, including 40% off on the quite recent Shadows of Mordor.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store?b...9907f-92774161

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2014, 11:05 PM

Titanfall PC Download available for $10 on Origin. Worth it? I don't play online.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2014, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Titanfall PC Download available for $10 on Origin. Worth it? I don't play online.
IIUC, its online only.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2014, 05:52 PM

Well that doesn't do me much good.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2015, 01:09 PM

12 month Xbox live subscriptions are $40 on Amazon.

P
Dec 2, 2015, 01:53 PM

Jade Empire, Bioware's 2005 RPG, is currently free as in beer for anyone who can be convinced to log in to an Origin account.

P
Dec 3, 2015, 04:53 AM

Monument Valley is also currently free on iOS.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2015, 12:08 PM

Monument Valley is also currently free on iOS.
Incredible game. I predict we see about four more of them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules