Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 96)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2014, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
There is some of that, but there is also the fact that this generation's consoles are not the powerhouses that the last gen's were. The Xbox 360 used a GPU design that wasn't even on the market yet and a powerful tri-core 3.2 GHz CPU when the CPUs on the market were mostly singlecore with a dual here and there, clocked at much the same speed. The PS3 used an upper-midrange GPU for its day, but combined it with a crazy special throughput based CPU meant to do much of the GPU work. Matching that with a gaming PC at the time was expensive at best, and arguably impossible with the Cell in the PS3.

By comparison, the Xbone took an off-the-shelf $140 GPU that was getting old and paired it with a CPU of 8 weak cores at a clock far below that of PC CPUs at the time. The PS4 used the same CPU and an old off-the-shelf GPU, but at least moved up the range a little ($180 or so at launch). Matching that with a gaming PC is trivial - a Core i3 and something like a 270X is enough, and you can easily double everything in that computer without getting into the seriously diminishing returns of multi-GPU cards and repurposed server CPUs.
I knew about the current generation's off-the-shelf hardware, but I was unaware of the 360/PS3 backstory. Makes sense.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
A not-so-subtle reminder that last gen was a huge graphical leap going from 640x480 to trying to hit 720p. Though I think mathematically jumping to 1080p is even more taxing.
Also makes sense.

I've only posted on NeoGAF twice. I keep forgetting it exists.

Nice thread. The lighting in those shots does indeed look amazing.

Also, again, we keep upping the amount pixels we need to push while expecting better lighting, draw distances, increased items, better textures, etc.
Yet another reason to resist the intended proliferation of 4K.

P
Nov 17, 2014, 02:58 PM

A not-so-subtle reminder that last gen was a huge graphical leap going from 640x480 to trying to hit 720p. Though I think mathematically jumping to 1080p is even more taxing.
That's not the only thing that changed. The PS2 had an old fixed function pipeline with no shaders at all, and the original Xbox had a total of 4 pixel shaders and 2 vertex shaders. Between that and the next generation, essentially all the interesting GPU development happened. The 360 moved to 48 unified shaders that are technically fairly close to what we have today (although they would be counted as 240 today, but that's marketing for you). The PS3 uses an older design with dedicated shaders, but even that was a massive step forward.

My point is that with the last generation, both sides pulled out all the stops to build something that was the most powerful thing you conceivably put into a console. They could have done that again, and they clearly didn't. We know AMD has HBM-solutions in the pipe - why not try something like that, and spend the remainder of that huge chip on some more shaders, instead of the eSRAM.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2014, 03:05 PM

They were both gun-shy. The PS3 was a massive loss, and never quite got the traction in the US (particularly compared to its predecessor). The 360 also had its share in problems. Didn't they do a huge write-off to cover the RROD?

I think we'll see something a little closer to the norm next-gen. Sony is getting their feet back under them. Dunno what to expect from MS.

P
Nov 17, 2014, 03:39 PM

RROD was $1.2B - I guess even MS feels something like that - but I don't think an HBM solution would be any hotter than what they have now. Gunshy is the word, and just a bit of falling in love with Kinect.

Sony I can understand. They got feedback that the main problem was internal bandwidth, so they set out to fix that with a unified design. Then I guess they asked AMD what GPU they needed for 1080p in 2013, and a CPU design that didn't decrease the number of (logical) cores yet was reasonably robust to branchy code.

MS is harder to read. They spent a lot of that transistor budget on the eSRAM and had to cut down both shaders and ROPs to make it fit. The gain was that they could go with cheaper memory for the main pool, but it must have been clear to them that those other cuts meant that they were going to miss the 1080p target. In that situation, where they could either

a) drop the eSRAM and go with a GDDR5 design
b) go to a smaller eSRAM or switch to an eDRAM
c) drop the eSRAM and move to HBM or an on-package cache
d) cut the GPU

they picked the option that is the worst for graphics. I just don't understand why. What did they want the eSRAM for?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2014, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
they picked the option that is the worst for graphics. I just don't understand why.
Well, if you take the unveiling at face value, they didn't see gaming as the focus of the console. It was supposed to be a complete multimedia experience, anchored by their futuristic kinect interface. In light of that, overlooking graphics seems pretty simple.

P
Nov 17, 2014, 07:34 PM

Sure, but the eSRAM? Why? The difference to eDRAM is a slightly lower latency, the difference to off-die memory is lower latency, so clearly the latency was a high priority - yet graphics is famously insensitive to latency (because it is so embarrassingly parallel that the GPU can always find something else to do). Only thing that makes sense is that they had some CPU task that did not fit in the L2, and logic suggests Kinect given its high focus, but I can't for the life of me understand their priorities.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2014, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
The solo of Call of Duty Advanced Warfare is really quite good.
Yeah, I've been enjoying it. Decent story with a lot of cool ideas using futuristic weapons and gear. A nice positive change in a COD game in quite some time. I'm about 75% through on my first run on Hardened difficulty which is pretty darn easy. I'm wondering if Veteran difficulty will pose a challenge.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2014, 01:12 AM

If any of you like the Telltale game series (The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us) they're venturing into the Borderlands franchise...

Tales From the Borderlands

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2014, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Yeah, I've been enjoying it. Decent story with a lot of cool ideas using futuristic weapons and gear. A nice positive change in a COD game in quite some time. I'm about 75% through on my first run on Hardened difficulty which is pretty darn easy. I'm wondering if Veteran difficulty will pose a challenge.
Not sure how far I'm into it, but had a bug last night where Gideon wasn't moving. Difficult to follow someone who isn't moving.

It does seem easy, even for a bad player like myself. Doesn't stop me charging in and getting killed though.

You played the multi?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2014, 10:12 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2014, 10:21 AM

PlayStation Boss on Driveclub: 'It's No Fun Being Safe All the Time' - IGN
In a conversation with IGN, Sony Computer Entertainment America's President and CEO Shawn Layden candidly discussed Driveclub, noting that some of its issues simply weren't anticipated through the course of its tortured development.
He went on. "In the development cycle, we try to do all things. In the development cycle, we try to test against every possibility. We have a [Quality Assurance] team, we have a QA plan. You do a beta test, you scope against that. But now, in a connected world, you can't effectively test in your house or in your beta group what it means to have 50,000, 100,000, 200,000 users hit your service. And the guys [at the studio] are struggling with that. It's throwing up things they had not anticipated."
Apparently he's never heard of an open-beta. Do you think it's coincidence that Destiny had one of the most flawless online launches in recent history after having both limited and open alpha and betas?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2014, 10:27 AM

GTA on PS4 has more grass.

Also, I have something like 7.5 GB of data to download tonight. 1.2 for the GTA V update, another 6+ for BF4 Final Stand DLC and 1+ for the update. Again, **** you, EA.

Also not heartening: Reports that people haven't logged onto GTA: Online this year are having issues transferring their characters. I was planning on waiting a few days just because their servers will be hammered, but now even that doesn't sound promising.
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Nov 18, 2014 at 10:56 AM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2014, 12:07 PM

I can't believe this isn't a bullshot.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2014, 12:10 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2014, 12:54 PM

Ok, this looks real at a glance.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2014, 02:19 PM

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2014, 03:03 PM

Also, I have something like 7.5 GB of data to download tonight. 1.2 for the GTA V update, another 6+ for BF4 Final Stand DLC and 1+ for the update. Again, **** you, EA.
BF4 Final Stand DLC comes out today? 6GB+ for 4 maps? I don't under stand why EA or DICE cannot follow Bungie's lead. Spread out the DLC download over multiple updates. Yesterday Bungie released an update for Destiny with bug fixes, tweaks to the UI and team chat for crucible and strike matches. On top of that, new geometry for the upcoming DLC. The total download was 2.5GB.

I believe there's going to be another update next week. So at least 5GB will already be on my hard drive and I may actually get to play the DLC when it is released on Dec. 9th.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2014, 03:04 PM

[

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2014, 03:21 PM

Remember, just last gen the tables were tuned.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2014, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
You played the multi?
Yeah, I played a lot during the first couple of days when the double XP was in effect. The exo suits definitely change the maneuverability and gameplay. Some players are pretty damn skilled with those movements and make it quite difficult when in closed quarters. Matchmaking is decent and I didn't really encounter and issues with connecting.

Overall I'm pleased the game.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2014, 05:07 PM

$56.99 for a used game at GameStop - NeoGAF

No one in thread said anything, but didn't it used to $54.99? We've gone from saving $5 to saving $3.

Of course the prop-price is almost decent at $52.29
Who the **** decided "We really need those 29¢!"

Gamestop free since 2008. Feels good man.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2014, 05:11 PM

Gorgeous.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2014, 05:26 PM

Gamestop free since 2008. Feels good man.
If they have a Black Friday deal for PSN+ again, I'll be all over it. Otherwise... **** them!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2014, 05:27 PM

I just re-upped with the PSN cards Gaffers gave me for that ill-advised BF4 server rental.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2014, 10:22 AM

Early GTA impressions before I shuffle off to the GTA thread:

• Still getting used to FP mode. Doesn't feel as smooth as other shooters, but it might be as simple as just not feeling like BF4.
• At least with the railgun it seems there are times it doesn't look down sights. Also, when ADS I don't think it gives the usual 1.4x bonus zoom like other shooters
• First person in a car isn't terrible, but at low speeds its twitchy as hell. Needs speed-sensitive steering, desperately.
• They removed the bumper and hood cams on the car. That is very disappointing.
• The car radio will display what channel you are listening to, but not what song.
• Textures are still less than ideal on some items (like a car backseat)
• Like BF4, you'll see some pop-in with some grass textures as you drive.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2014, 11:02 AM

Ok, so a weird thing I noticed, but in various GTA threads, X1ers have been referencing getting that version over the PS4 because "it has my friends and the better controller." Putting asude that , statistically, its unlikely it has more of their friends, I thought since last year the DS4 was generally accepted as the better controller? What gives?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Nov 19, 2014, 11:07 AM

Anecdotally, most of my mans are on the One, so.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2014, 12:08 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2014, 12:47 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2014, 01:09 PM

Ok, so a weird thing I noticed, but in various GTA threads, X1ers have been referencing getting that version over the PS4 because "it has my friends and the better controller." Putting asude that , statistically, its unlikely it has more of their friends, I thought since last year the DS4 was generally accepted as the better controller? What gives?
More of their friends, who knows?

As for the controller, the XB1 has the worst-placed bumpers I've ever felt, assuming that most people use the triggers with their index fingers.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2014, 02:57 PM

Far Cry 4 Users Accidentally Reveal They Pirated the Game - IGN
Taking to Twitter, Alex Hutchinson explained that as legitimate copies of the game will connect to the internet and receive the feature via Day One patch, those complaining that no such feature is present are outing themselves as having illegal copies.
That's how you fight piracy.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2014, 03:07 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2014, 03:24 PM

Titanfall has reached 7 million uniques. Or in other words, it didn't sell gigatons.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2014, 05:05 PM

Oh supposedly the fuel gauge actually works in GTA.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 20, 2014, 05:32 PM

Activision Smokescreens 'Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare' Sales, Continuing A Trend - Forbes
So what’s going on here? How do you have the “biggest entertainment launch of the year” yet not release any hard numbers to back that up? Surely it’s a point of pride? While it may be easier to understand why new IPs like Titanfall or Destiny would hide sales info to avoid judgment, in this case, Advanced Warfare is openly bragging about being the biggest game of the year, just with no meaningful figures attached to that statement.

If you read the release carefully like a cipher, the clues are there. It’s said that AW has outperformed Ghosts, another game that refused to give out data, but in a way that implied it had sold less early on than many other titles in franchise history. Now, if AW bested Black Ops 2, for example, we would absolutely be hearing about it.

Rather, it seems that Activision is going to great lengths to avoid headlines that paint Call of Duty as a series in decline to their investors. Though “decline” is such a weird term here, as the series can be the biggest video game launch of the year, but because it didn’t best past titles, the numbers are still something that need to be hidden.
This is why I have trouble taking capitalism and stock markets seriously.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Nov 21, 2014, 11:07 AM

The full Sunset Overdrive is available to play for all XBO users on Saturday.

No, you don't get to keep it, but progress is saved if you buy it.

In other news, the Halo matchmaking patch didn't do shit for me.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 21, 2014, 03:04 PM

Shot of mine.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2014, 01:45 PM

If you haven't already, you all need to check out The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, wonderfully brilliant game, it's totally drawn me and won't let go.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 24, 2014, 12:00 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 24, 2014, 11:10 AM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2014, 12:21 PM

If you guys haven't picked up SteamWorld Dig (free with PS+), do yourself a favor and download it, even if you can't get to it for a while. It's surprisingly addictive. Tons of fun.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2014, 12:23 PM

That's just ridiculous.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 24, 2014, 02:05 PM

GameStop Worried Digital Games Are Too Cheap - GameSpot
GameStop is worried that digital games could drive game prices dangerously low, according to a statement from the company's president Tony Bartel in its most recent quarterly earnings report.
Already I'm going to step in to remind you, digital games on console cost the same as their more-expensive-to-make physical counterparts.

"We want to help ensure that our industry does not make the same mistake as other entertainment categories by driving the perceived value of digital goods significantly below that of a physical game,"
Hint The current perceived value is higher than its actual value.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 24, 2014, 02:32 PM

Activision using copyright notices to take down Call of Duty exploit videos | Ars Technica
Once again, the ability of content owners to cherry-pick what they takedown is a load of shit. All or none ****ers – and that's not even touching that the videos are fair use under criticism.

P
Nov 24, 2014, 06:58 PM

The competition for Worst Publisher of 2014 is heating up.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2014, 08:17 PM

Is this just with Call of Duty videos? I haven't heard them doing anything like this with their other games like Destiny.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2014, 12:26 AM

This coming from a greedy ass company selling used games for $56.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2014, 12:30 AM

Activision using copyright notices to take down Call of Duty exploit videos | Ars Technica
Once again, the ability of content owners to cherry-pick what they takedown is a load of shit. All or none ****ers – and that's not even touching that the videos are fair use under criticism.
Jesus. If anything they should be using these videos to work on patching those issues the game, It seems more they're trying to hide the embarrassment that they released yet again a game with massive glitches.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 25, 2014, 04:49 AM

Looking for recommendations on driving games.

Yesterday Amazon had the Logitech G27 wheel on sale for $191, as low as its ever been. With the Amazon points I had saved up, I got it for $73. So now I'm going through my games figuring out what I have and what I should pick up. Here's what I have:

PS3:
- Gran Turismo 5 XL
- NFS: Shift Unleashed 2

PC:
- DiRT 3
- Euro Truck Simulator 2
- GRID
- GRID 2
- Spintires

I see RaceRoom Racing Experience is free-to-play on Steam, and I have my eyes on Project CARS as well. Anything I'm missing? I'm not super into the high-end subscription-based simulations like iRacing, but I am a fan of legit clutch pedal support, which most of the above games have.

Oh yeah, mocking up a driving cabinet now:

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2014, 10:03 AM

I was unaware, but apparently Halo: MCC's matchmaking has been a shitshow since launch; So much so that they released an apology letter and still can't promise a fix in the near future.

Forum Links
Forum Rules