Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 98)
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2014, 08:59 AM

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2014, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
The Ars reviewer is whining. What other expansion to a MMO makes sure that good gear you have pre-DLC is as good as it was post?

Did he have fun with the gear? Was he able to get through the next VoG run easier, thanks to the gear he had accumulated? So... where's the wasted time, exactly?

I guarantee VoG will get the new gear. I found a Legendary Engram yesterday, just wrecking crap in the Mothyards, and got a new piece of gear.
Agreed, he's whining. I'm also sort of glad I held off on the VoG raid and upgrading anything the last week. As well I held off finishing the Bad Juju Exotic Pulse Rifle bounty and got the new buffed Bad Juju.

You can also use VoG loot to upgrade your new armor and gear.

As well it's nice to have a low-level raid and a high-level raid. I thought a low-level raid was missing from this game.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2014, 04:51 PM

My god

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Dec 16, 2014, 05:28 PM

Hey, look at that. Bungie fixed some stuff.

I'm SO tired of the gaming community. If you don't like something, THEN EVERYBODY ELSE IS WRONG, AND SHOULDN'T LIKE IT EITHER -- what a ridiculous way to go about life. What really, really pisses me off are the self-entitled spearheads of the community that DEMAND changes to a game, because "we all" want this to be changed. Yeah, okay. Did you ask about? No?

Then shut your pie-hole.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2014, 05:30 PM

I'm SO tired of the gaming community. If you don't like something, THEN EVERYBODY ELSE IS WRONG, AND SHOULDN'T LIKE IT EITHER -- what a ridiculous way to go about life.
I think a large part of it is hype, though. You get hailed as the next coming of god and you'll get the hate when you don't live up to the expectations. Or aren't fun.

ON the flip-side, Titanfall didn't get the hate, did it? Was it not nearly as hyped. It's not a bad game, but I get the feeling it was kind of.... average.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
My god
Its actually too good. The lighting is perfect, even on the stuff in the left of the picture. The droplets and water formation on the door is amazing.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2014, 02:44 PM

Is that a screen shot from Drive Club?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 18, 2014, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Is that a screen shot from Drive Club?
Yes, in-game of course.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2014, 10:44 AM

Can getting a weapon be any more complicated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn4xHqnwjwo

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 19, 2014, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Can getting a weapon be any more complicated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn4xHqnwjwo
Yeah, DICE seems to to think obscurity = difficulty and complicated = fun. This is the worst way to do stuff.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 19, 2014, 01:27 PM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 19, 2014, 04:40 PM

Wow. Does he have future income prospects or does he expect that his current wealth has him set for life. He's probably worth more than what people would typically win from the lottery, but it'd be a shame to see him end up like so many lottery winners that end up poor after blowing everything. Obviously Minecraft is an anomaly in the indie game world where most developers struggle to get seen at all.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 19, 2014, 04:44 PM

Is it hard to imagine him having $70M on hand after the purchase of minecraft for $2.5B? That's like, what, 2.5% of the sale price? (And that's not considering all the money he made beforehand)

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 19, 2014, 06:43 PM

It's not hard to imagine but it you do the "oh, it's only 1% of my net worth" 100 times you're broke. Not to detract from what Notch did with Minecraft but that kind of lightning rarely strikes twice. If you're a visionary and a leader like Musk you can have a second life after selling your tech company, but I don't know if Notch is capable of that. How many broke-to-riches-to-broke stories include "he bought the most expensive house in Beverly Hills"??

P
Dec 19, 2014, 08:03 PM

There are worse ways to spend your money than real estate in an attractive area. A lot of people spend more than 100% of their net worth on a house.

(Btw, Notch owned about 80% of the company at the end, so he got 2 billion. Before taxes, and he has previously avoided any attempts to decrease taxes - not sure what happened here.)
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 20, 2014, 06:55 PM

Fake film trailer made in GTA. Pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxHTOVqvJXw

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 23, 2014, 10:17 AM

It occurs to me, the Planetside 2 beta didn't make it to this year after all.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 23, 2014, 11:52 AM

Halo anthology makers apologize, will give distressed fans free ODST | Ars Technica
Though Ross didn't confirm a release date, she confirmed that development is underway to port 2009's Halo 3: ODST solo campaign to the newer console, and it will be given away for free to any player who logged into H:TMCC's online portion between the game's launch date and December 19—well beyond the date range of when its online matchmaking was critically broken.

But wait, there's more! Eligible players will also receive a free month of Xbox Live Gold as well as some in-game flair. And according to the update's FAQ, all players will receive a free download of another remastered Halo 2 multiplayer map (the island battleground Relic, if you're wondering).
Smart move by MS. Halo fans are some of their biggest fans, want to treat them the best.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2014, 03:36 PM

Damn, some stupid hackers decided to bring down both the Xbox and Playstation Networks.

Xbox Live and PlayStation Network both down due to an apparent attack

I can't get on to Destiny!
MacBook Pro

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2014, 11:28 PM

I want to punch everyone one of those ****ers in the face!

Merry Christmas everyone.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 26, 2014, 10:09 PM

Alright, I'm officially going into Battlefield withdrawal.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 26, 2014, 10:11 PM

Also: "Update: We are working to restore full network services for all platforms - thanks, as always, for your patience!"

What is this bullshit? They have zero options if they're being DDOSed, right?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2014, 01:34 AM

Xbox Live has been up for over 24 hours now but we STILL don't have and ETA on when PSN will be back online. This is bullshit.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2014, 04:29 PM

Xbox Live has been up for over 24 hours now but we STILL don't have and ETA on when PSN will be back online. This is bullshit.
M$ +1

They've always had the better online service and here's another example why. Remember the first time Playstation was hacked? What's the over/under when they get their service back up?

Oh an this anonymous hack group leaked tens of thousand of passwords for multiple sites. I changed my Amazon, Xbox and EA Origin passwords just to be safe. Annoying.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2014, 04:51 PM

What,s the odd Sony ponies up freebies like the last hack attack? I had to buy a larger HD to install infamous and LBP. I had a Fat 40. I bought a 1TB HD for $50 at BB. (on sale at Frys and RZ cert.)
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 27, 2014, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
They've always had the better online service and here's another example why.
They're a software company, they've always been better at this.

But as I've said before, we knew what we were getting into. Though to be fair, I expected any xmas troubles to be caused by their users, not by the largest troll of all-time.

What's the over/under when they get their service back up?
It's partially online already. I think PS3/Vita services are stabilized, the PSN App works, and I managed to sneak on with my PS4, but that requires hammering away and sneaking in. My friends list has 11 other folks on, though, so it's not that hard.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2014, 12:37 AM

45/47

Rumor
Dec 29, 2014, 01:07 AM

I got an xBox One for Christmas. Currently have DA, D3, and Worms.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2014, 08:33 AM

They have pill to take care of those worms.
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2014, 04:14 PM

Biscuit's awards are up, a good watch overall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIFQtHZG1pw
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2014, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
I got an xBox One for Christmas. Currently have DA, D3, and Worms.
If you ever get COD, Halo or Forza Horizon 2 then hit me up! I need to get some coop sessions in!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2014, 12:25 AM

Good lord! 343 just announced a pre-order for the limited collector's edition of Halo 5 for $250! Sad thing is, they'll lure lots of schmucks into pre-ordering that crap.

Pre-ordering has become so detrimental to gaming. So many more and more of these games are being released with broken multiplayer and massive glitches. I'm looking at you Halo: TMCC!

Unless it's an absolute must have day one purchase that you just can't wait for, don't bother pre-ordering anymore. Special limited edition day one weapons and skins? Yeah I'll pass and save $20 when i purchase the game 2 weeks later. Give me a break!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 30, 2014, 12:13 PM

Inspired by this thread.

During last gen, patches were small. Really small. Megabytes if I remember right. The reason being the base 360 came with no internal memory, so any downloads had to fit in cache. The PS3 managed larger patches, but I don't believe they were out of hand. By the end of the generation though, the limitations were severely impacting the beautiful dances devs had used to extract every ounce of power out of the consoles. The size limits were upped, and the charge for certing these updates was removed.

Fast forward to today. The latest GTA patch was 1.2 GB. The latest BF4 patch was over 3 GB. Shadow of Mordor had a 3 GB patch that included DLC that wasn't free (on a single player game no less). AC: Unity had a 7GB patch. It's out of hand. And that's for people who got the games at launch. Buying an old game, you may as well expect an hour wait after installing it and downloading all the old updates.

This is what happens when developers are given free reign to do what they 'need.' This is also what happens when an entire gen devolves into hitting release dates and patching the bugs 'later'. A lot of us weren't/aren't ready for an all-digital future, and this is just a taste of what it will be like. Between PSNs mercurial speeds and substandard 'broadband', gaming has become borderline hostile. And I don't see it changing. Much like programs keep managing to use every ounce of CPU, devs will find a way to keep eating every ounce of broadband. The worst part being it enables their already bad habit of shipping unfinished games.

Dat next-gen feel.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 30, 2014, 02:41 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 30, 2014, 04:09 PM

Two-month long Xbox One sale ending, price will jump back to $400 | Ars Technica

So, does MS accept going back to 2nd place or do sales drop so precipitously they buckle and start eating the loss permanently?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Dec 30, 2014, 04:19 PM

Nah. This is just a prelude towards the Xbox One Slim, in April, at a NEW LOWER PRICE POINT.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 30, 2014, 04:22 PM

Nah. This is just a prelude towards the Xbox One Slim, in April, at a NEW LOWER PRICE POINT.
Ah, the PS3 strategy.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Dec 30, 2014, 04:52 PM

"This new Xbox One? Yeah, much smaller. Guaranteed to not inspire the next level of human development."

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2014, 12:29 AM

So many more and more of these games are being released with broken multiplayer and massive glitches. I'm looking at you Halo: TMCC!
Destiny's multiplayer isn't that great either. I think, like everybody else, they're cutting costs on servers or routing hardware. They seem to blame the internet connection or traffic, but I don't think they have the infrastructure to handle the players. I can't tell you how many games I've gotten disconnected from. There's nothing like being a minute from a win and losing those 3 crucible marks.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 31, 2014, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Destiny's multiplayer isn't that great either. I think, like everybody else, they're cutting costs on servers or routing hardware. They seem to blame the internet connection or traffic, but I don't think they have the infrastructure to handle the players. I can't tell you how many games I've gotten disconnected from. There's nothing like being a minute from a win and losing those 3 crucible marks.
Are you sure its not you? I could see them underfunding infrastructure in the early going, but after months and with new DLC out I find that highly unlikely.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2014, 01:36 PM

Leonard may want to check his internet connection. I've played plenty of crucible matches this past month and got disconnected only two times.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2014, 01:46 PM

I'm not surprised. Most of the execs that made the 360 successful (J. Allard, Peter Moore, etc) were gone before the xbone was in development. The people that replaced them had no clue what they were doing.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Dec 31, 2014, 01:47 PM

Concur. I can count the disconnects (caused by other than Lizard Squad) on one hand.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2014, 02:05 PM

Wonder if there will be a swing to the PC due to these DDOSes, the Sony CC hack, having to pay for online etc etc.

Rumor
Dec 31, 2014, 10:55 PM

If you ever get COD, Halo or Forza Horizon 2 then hit me up! I need to get some coop sessions in!
I could get Forza from Gamefly, but the other two I have no interest in unless you want to do co-op.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2015, 02:05 AM

Wonder if there will be a swing to the PC due to these DDOSes, the Sony CC hack, having to pay for online etc etc.
Probably just more people like me that are sitting the current gen out until prices drop and/or some actual games come out. (I am FPS'd out)

P
Jan 2, 2015, 06:47 AM

Main problem with that is Windows. Nobody wants Windows 8. Most who game on Windows are still on Win 7, which doesn't get the newest DirectX and will not get DirectX 12, and isn't even on sale anymore. If Win 10 is any good, that might change things, but really... The economy isn't there for gaming on PC. Back when everyone needed a new computer every few years anyway and all gaming required was a GPU that fit in any modern computer, making a gaming PC was cheap enough because it was mostly sunk costs anyway. Today, most people have laptops, don't upgrade them very often, and even if they have a desktop box it probably doesn't have the PSU or cooling to support a big GPU.

Gaming PCs are for a higher quality gaming experience and a wider selection of non-AAA games, plus genres that don't work on a console like strategy games. Recently strategy games have been heavy enough that gaming on a laptop or the old iMac is not really feasible, which is most of the reason I revived the old gaming PC. This means that I use it more, and the world is full of cheap games for it, but I don't trick myself into thinking that it's a good deal compared to a console.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jan 2, 2015, 09:14 AM

The whole Steam Box concept is... tricky. A non-Windows OS to keep costs down just won't work in the long run, and what's the point of gaming computer with less power than a console, for more money?

We're going to do some builds shortly to see what can be done with a TV-attached computer, but Its hard to see the point.

P
Jan 2, 2015, 11:48 AM

If you chase deals, reuse equipment and build your own, you can make a gaming PC for less. I have seen e.g. 270X for $99, which is borderline insane for the power you get from it (you should be able to run anything at High@1080p at least with that card, even if that won't last as games get more demanding). Say that you have a case, an old DVD, HDD, mouse&keyboard, OS. You can pick up a quad Haswell with mobo and RAM for under $400 easy, close to $300 if you look around. With the GPU above, that is a very powerful gaming PC below $500 - even if you have to replace the PSU that probably just died after you built a more powerful PC around it - but as you see, the list of caveats is quite long.

This is why the Steambox concept is so hard to make work. AMD can't sell the 270X for $99 all the time, because they need to make money. It usually sells for about $170, and even that is a good chunk down from list (it is an old card now). They also have to pay at least something for DVD, storage, case, which means that the package either skimps on the CPU - which is fine for gaming only, but less so for regular usage - or increase the price. Usually both. I think you could probably skip a DVD now, and with everyone coming out with 3D NAND, prices for a decent chunk of flash storage should drop, but if the competition is a $350 Xbone, you're in trouble.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2015, 12:57 AM

Leonard may want to check his internet connection. I've played plenty of crucible matches this past month and got disconnected only two times.
Part of it may be my connection, as I was using wireless. But after using a wired connection from the router to Xbox one I still get some disconnects. I'm going to have to check it with an Internet test. Maybe it's the ISP.
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules