Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > The Alternative Gaming Thread

The Alternative Gaming Thread
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2015, 10:27 PM

I've been visiting the other monster gaming thread off and on over the past few months and realized that i'm not really interested in the type of games being discussed in there (shooters, racers, open world), and i got a little tired of having to dig to find anything i do care about. So i thought it would be nice to have another thread for 'other' gaming. Stuff like... Nintendo, indie games, etc.... just stuff that would get buried in the other thread. To get started....

I finally picked up a new system recently, the 'New Nintendo 3DS XL' and have been playing Luigi's Mansion on it for the last couple of days and its a gem (lots of spit n polish).

The system itself feels 'substantial' in the hand, not cheap. I got the black one, and aesthetically its the most 'Sony looking' handled from Nintendo . Personally i would have preferred the regular white one, but... Nintendo. I was afraid the 3D would still be broken, but it works great 99% of the time, and the low ppi screen had me worried, but i haven't noticed it during gameplay. Overall, i think its a great replacement for my DS LIte. My only quibble is the size, like i mentioned i would have preferred the smaller model.

Anyone else in here have the system(or older versions)? Any game recommendations?

Cheers

ibook_steve
Feb 15, 2015, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I've been visiting the other monster gaming thread off and on over the past few months and realized that i'm not really interested in the type of games being discussed in there (shooters, racers, open world), and i got a little tired of having to dig to find anything i do care about. So i thought it would be nice to have another thread for 'other' gaming. Stuff like... Nintendo, indie games, etc.... just stuff that would get buried in the other thread. To get started....
+1!!!

I'm so with you on this.

In any case, regarding the New 3DS XL, I managed to pre-order the Majora's Mask special edition at Best Buy! Woohoo! I have an original small 3DS from 2011, so I thought it was time for an upgrade.

Games for it? Where to begin? If we're talking physical (cartridge) media, here's some of what I have:

Smash Bros.
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Mario Kart 7
Starfox 64 3D
Street Fighter IV
The last 2 Professor Layton games, both fantastic
Super Mario 3D World
Luigi's Mansion (rented and finished to completion)
Yoshi's New Island (for some reason got bad reviews for being more of the same, but the original was so good I'm not sure why this was a bad thing)
Mario and Luigi Dream Team

That should be more than enough to get you started.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

P
Feb 15, 2015, 04:13 PM

That's a bit of an odd grouping. Indie games are cheap, mostly PC, original but frequently flawed. Nintendo games are expensive, proprietary sequels polished until they shine. I would actually love to play some Nintendo games - I was a Nintendo fan back in the day, and more recently had a DS Lite - but I'm not buying one more piece of quickly obsolete electronics to play the roughly two games a year I care about.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2015, 01:14 AM

I have a blue 3DS XL. Didn't realize they released a new one? What's the difference? What's that button above the X button? It's a good system with some great games. I've been buying Nintendo consoles up until the Wii, but I don't think I'll ever buy another Nintendo home console again. Wii U just doesn't float my boat.

I'm praying they make another side scrolling classic style Metroid game for the 3DS! Metroid Fusion was my favorite side scroller of all time! I also just finished beating Mario & Luigi Dream Team the other night which was very fun. (I had that game collecting dust for a year before I started playing it). I'm with Steve getting Majora's Mask. I remember playing it back in the day on the N64, however I only made it about a third of the way through. It's still to this day the only Zelda game I haven't beaten. Pretty excited to get it! As far as other games I have...

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (great game!)
Super Mario 3D Land
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
New Super Mario Bros 2
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask

One of the cool things that Nintendo had that's going away June 30th is Club Nintendo. Each game or console you buy comes with a PIN # that you'd enter on the website. You'd earn coins and redeem them for either downloadable games or gear. I'm 50 coins shy of being able to redeem my coins for Star Fox 64 3D. Would any of you please be willing to hook me up?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2015, 01:40 AM

The big new thing is stable 3D and it works pretty well. The little nub is a 'c stick' pseudo analog nub. They upped the specs as well so its apparently snappier. The 3D effect is magic(now that it works well). (the only time i noticed the effect breaking a little was when you had a light and dark area (high contrast difference) right next to each other.)

Luigis Mansion totally reminds me of the old school point and click adventure games and im really liking it so far, so much character and detail.

All those games mentioned above are on my list. The reason i picked up the 3DS is cause of the stellar library and a system which doesnt feel like it belongs in the lab. The games i wish they would re-release on the system are the old Rogue Squadron series, seems like they'd be a great fit for 3D. Oh im looking forward to playing shovel knight as well. Im pretty impressed with Nintendo pushing digital downloads for retail games, didnt think they'd ever embrace such a model.

Image this in 3D:

KCrosbie, i think they might be phasing out Club Nintendo. You might want to look into that soon.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Feb 16, 2015 at 10:52 AM. )

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Feb 16, 2015, 09:21 AM

I've still got my phat DS...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2015, 10:50 AM

I, uh...

Don't post in the other thread, complain other thread doesn't have any participation. Well, duh.

Also, Nintendo as 'alternative' gaming. Oh the howling I hear coming from 2009.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2015, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I, uh...

Don't post in the other thread, complain other thread doesn't have any participation. Well, duh.

Also, Nintendo as 'alternative' gaming. Oh the howling I hear coming from 2009.
Not trying to stir up conflict here. There were some posts which were interesting in there, but they quickly got buried in boring shooter/racer stuff.

Besides, there's no rule that says there has to be just one thread on gaming (which is dominated by one type of gamer).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2015, 02:01 PM

Not trying to stir up conflict here. There were some posts which were interesting in there, but they quickly got buried in boring shooter/racer stuff.
I question the term 'buried' in a thread that's averaging just over 3 posts per day.

Besides, there's no rule that says there has to be just one thread on gaming (which is dominated by one type of gamer).
Oh, be my guest. I just think you've confused a lack of participation with having something to do with setting when it's more likely a lack of an actual community or enthusiasm therein.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2015, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Oh, be my guest. I just think you've confused a lack of participation with having something to do with setting when it's more likely a lack of an actual community or enthusiasm therein.
Thanks so much for your permission (and derailment).

Moving on....

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2015, 03:39 PM

Thanks so much for your permission
I wasn't giving you my permission because none is needed. Relax.

---

Speaking of handhelds, here's a challenge: Anybody know if there's Final Fantasy Legend-like games for the Vita that will work on the TV? It was partly my impetus for buying, but it seems most Square titles don't work, and turn-based RPGs are a near dead genre.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2015, 06:24 PM

KCrosbie, i think they might be phasing out Club Nintendo. You might want to look into that soon.
Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
One of the cool things that Nintendo had that's going away June 30th is Club Nintendo.
Did you read my post? LOLz!

ibook_steve
Feb 17, 2015, 05:02 PM

Well look what just arrived at my desk...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3257.jpg (94.9 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3260.jpg (99.0 KB, 96 views)

ibook_steve
Feb 17, 2015, 05:14 PM

OMG is this thing beautiful!

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3261.jpg (92.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3263.jpg (85.4 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3264.jpg (90.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3265.jpg (94.4 KB, 107 views)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2015, 05:17 PM

Get a room you two

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2015, 05:47 PM

There's some exciting news regarding The Last Guardian posted in that other thread.

Originally Posted by KCrosbie
One of the cool things that Nintendo had that's going away June 30th is Club Nintendo. Each game or console you buy comes with a PIN # that you'd enter on the website. You'd earn coins and redeem them for either downloadable games or gear. I'm 50 coins shy of being able to redeem my coins for Star Fox 64 3D. Would any of you please be willing to hook me up?
Does PIN # = console serial number? If so, you can use the serial number on my Virtual Boy. It's the only Nintendo console I still own.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2015, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
If so, you can use the serial number on my Virtual Boy.

ibook_steve
Feb 17, 2015, 08:09 PM

Has anyone gone through the transfer process to go to a New 3DS? The only things I really care about getting transferred (besides eShop stuff of course) is that all the picture panels and Find Mii game info are transferred. I've collected over 700 pieces of those darn panels through Spotpass and using coins. Nintendo keeps adding new panels faster than I can get pieces. There's now over 1400 pieces to collect!! If I lose all that progress when I move to the new system, I'm going to be pissed!

Steve

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 18, 2015, 11:03 AM

Definitely back it up if you can. A guy on neogaf was scared he lost all his pokemon progress.

ibook_steve
Feb 19, 2015, 03:41 AM

Success! All the warning messages that come up during this ridiculous process are truly scary. Nintendo is way too paranoid to not allow a single user ID to access the content that you own on multiple devices. It's really annoying.

Steve

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2015, 11:03 AM

@ibook_steve
nice! I found it totally bizarre that the special edition didnt come with the game.

Yeah i've heard the 'wireless' transfer process takes an insane amount of time. This is my first 3DS so didnt have to bother. However, i'm upset that i'm going to have to use a screwdriver on such a shiny product to replace the SD(micro) card. In 2015 that's just unnecessary and bad design... but, i guess... Nintendo.

I just tried to download a demo and was prompted for a 'Nintendo Network ID'..... what fresh hell is this supposed to be?

Also... Ocarina of Time 3D and StarFox3D are no longer available at retail, WTF Nintendo? :/

I am looking forward to playing Majora's Mask(never played it before)

@Stogieman
I reckon that game belongs in its own vapourware thread. I think IGN Beyond at one time pointed out that since that game was first publicly shown, Naughty Dog has released 3 Uncharted games and The Last of Us. Realistically that 'title'/trademark might still exist, but considering most of the key people from the team are no longer there, if it ever comes out it's probably going to be a very different game than what TeamIco would have delivered. IMHO

ibook_steve
Feb 19, 2015, 08:06 PM

Nintendo Net ID is like Apple's ID system, except with Nintendo, it can only be used on 1 3DS and 1 Wii U (I believe). This is how you access the eShop for both platforms.

Steve

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2015, 03:10 AM

No power adapter in the box = stupid, but otherwise a cool portable.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

P
Feb 20, 2015, 10:13 AM

Is the new 3DS region locked?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2015, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Is the new 3DS region locked?
Unfortunately yes it is.

P
Feb 22, 2015, 07:15 AM

Ah, that's too bad. I might be in Hong Kong in a few months, and all electronics is cheap there, so it might have happened, but not with a region lock.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2015, 11:04 AM

Just got done with Luigi's Mansion. It was a really nice game, lot's of personality and attention to detail. And they didnt make it too long. I'm onto Super Mario 3D Land, and the 3D effect this game produces is friggon amazing. The art style and shading totally reminds me of Super Mario Galaxy.

I've been hunting for a low profile case for the new 3DS XL and am kindof disappointed i nthe limited selection, mostly made up of very bulky hard cases. I dont want to carry any games or accesories in the case, just something to protect it from scratches and such. I came across a lot of unique stuff on 'etsy' but never used that site before, anyone here with experience using that site?

Cheers

Cashfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2015, 12:33 PM

We have purchased things on etsy and never had any trouble. Used paypal rather than a credit card. We've liked everything we've received so I have no experience trying to return anything.
Jeff

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2015, 01:11 PM

Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii vs 3DS)

Impressive port. I think Prime and Rogue Squadron should get the same treatment. now thats all the controls are on the 'new' 3DS.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2015, 10:40 PM

P
Apr 25, 2015, 05:10 PM

I guess this goes in the Nintendo thread...

Gamasutra: Hugo Bille's Blog - The Invisible Hand of Super Metroid

An interesting look at one of the wonders of game design, Super Metroid, and what you can do when you dont go all lazy with tutorials that are so common in modern games.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2015, 08:16 PM

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2015, 04:57 PM

Gamasutra: Hugo Bille's Blog - The Invisible Hand of Super Metroid

An interesting look at one of the wonders of game design, Super Metroid, and what you can do when you dont go all lazy with tutorials that are so common in modern games.
That was a long, but great, read

Until playing the game ~10 years after first experiencing it I didn't even know about the shinespark or wall-jumping techniques at all. Eventually I starting to sequence-break the game and even then it appears the designers intended it to be a valid avenue once you master the controls. The fastest I ever completed the game with any% was 45 min (game-time, prob 2hrs real-time) making use of a number of sequence breaks like skipping two mini-bosses entirely. It's an incredibly deep game and still a shining example of design some 20 years running.

In fact, I think I'm going to start a new game tonight.

P
Apr 28, 2015, 03:54 AM

I had to run through it again, paying attention to the things that article was pointing out. There are a few more, where it is slyly pointing the way or teaching you things. There is one spot (on the way from Brinstar to Norfair, just before the three screens in Maridia) where there is a jump that is very easy when you first get there, but if you go there again with the High-jump boots but without the Gravity suit, it becomes quite tricky because you hit your head on the ceiling and fall into the water. The way around it is a running jump - a little tricky to get right, but the price of failure is minimal, as you only have to walk back half a screen to try again. This comes in handy down in Norfair, where some of the jumps are as tricky but with a much higher price of failure.

Forum Links
Forum Rules