Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 102)
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2015, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It makes sense. Who becomes a director without watching the best films of all-time?
Wells, Chaplin, Kubrick, Lean? What did they watch?

Holy shit Spock died.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2015, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
I gave this quiz to my wife. For someone who doesn't play video games, I was pretty impressed she got 6 right...
I'm not even sure I could get some of those right.

I know I can get at least half right.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2015, 05:31 PM

When I was a teen a rich friend had a 3DO, and it wasn't the console price that killed you (though it was high), it was the $100-300 game carts. Killer f***ing console, though. Truly stunning for its day.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2015, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
it was the $100-300 game carts.
I think you're confusing the 3DO with the Neo Geo. 3DO games were about $60 and were CDs. Neo Geo had the $100-$300 cartridge games.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2015, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
I think you're confusing the 3DO with the Neo Geo. 3DO games were about $60 and were CDs. Neo Geo had the $100-$300 cartridge games.
You would be correct, because I had a 3DO and the games were $50, same as the SNES and Genesis at the time.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2015, 01:01 AM

Yeah, that's it, I always get the two confused.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 2, 2015, 01:58 PM

Ahead of GDC, Epic makes Unreal Engine 4 free for all designers | Ars Technica

Not sure if there are exceptions, but can only be good for the industry, right?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 2, 2015, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
In Application development .
Not exactly what I was thinking, and I won't pretend to understand it.

Wells, Chaplin, Kubrick, Lean? What did they watch?
Now you're being obtuse.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 2, 2015, 02:11 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 2, 2015, 02:14 PM

Yeah, that's it, I always get the two confused.
NeoGeo was the like the God console back then. Didn't it basically replicate/emulate arcade level games?

---

Never played it, but I was always fascinated by the TurboGrafix16. The games were practically isolinear chips, and when the handheld came out, it could use those very same cards.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2015, 03:28 AM

NeoGeo was the like the God console back then. Didn't it basically replicate/emulate arcade level games?

---

Never played it, but I was always fascinated by the TurboGrafix16. The games were practically isolinear chips, and when the handheld came out, it could use those very same cards.
Yes. Neo Geo was way ahead of its time thus the ridiculously high pricing on their games. They were pretty damn close to their arcade counterparts.

Ahh yes! NEC's Turbo Grafix 16! I had me one of those back in the day! There were so many great games for that including the Bonk's Adventure & Revenge the Aliens/Devil Crush pinball games, Blazing Lazers, Vigilante (remember that Stogie?) Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu, Legendary Axe and Keith Courage in Alpha Zones. The one flaw was that it was really designed for single player games and the system only had 1 controller port. It was still a good system and like you said the chip games were indeed compatible with the Turbo Express handheld which at the time blew everything else away in the portable gaming market. They later released the Turbo Duo CD add on which featured the then controversial Night Trap game. Man, I had forgotten about that system! Fond memories of that back in my early teenage years!

I think you can download quite a few of Turbo Grafix 16 games through the Nintendo eShop on the Wii. I may look into that.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2015, 04:18 AM

---

It was pretty amazing for its time, it even had real RGB video output, with the right adapter (and if you had such a rarified TV back in the day). The controllers were pretty cool too, they were these big heavy slabs that duplicated the joystick and button layouts of most arcade systems.

P
Mar 3, 2015, 06:17 AM

Nobody following the GDC news? A new OpenGL according to the design of Mantle and Metal, Mantle is being de-emphasized (it is released in a 1.0 for AMD cards, but there will be no support for Intel or nVidia cards, and AMD is basically saying to look elsewhere for long-term projects), Sony plans to show PS4 VR today, Valve is making a VR headset with HTC, Unreal Engine 4 is now free, and neither MS nor Ninty has shown their cards yet.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 4, 2015, 12:29 PM

Surprisingly positive preview of Sony's VR – One year later, Sony’s new Morpheus prototype is still VR done right | Ars Technica
Reloading a gun in home video games is crap.

When the gun ran out of bullets, I realized I had no idea how to reload—the attendant at the demo had only told me that I could fire by pulling the trigger on the controller. There were additional ammo clips sitting on the virtual desk in front of me, but I couldn't just magically pick them up by running over to them and/or tapping a button, as I would in most games.

What I could do, instead, was reach out my left hand, pick up a clip with the squeeze of a trigger, then slam that clip into the bottom of my empty gun with a satisfying click. I was doing this in the game, but I was also doing it in the real world, moving my hands and bumping my palms together naturally and intuitively in a motion that I imagine mimics a real quick reload situation quite closely.
I can't say I noticed much difference between the new OLED screen and the LCD display on the previous prototypes. The image persistence and refresh rate seemed perfectly adequate 12 months ago and also seemed perfectly adequate today, with no noticeable blurring or smearing. Maybe if I saw both prototypes right next to each other I would see more apparent change from the roughly 40 ms latency of the past to the 18 ms latency of today, or the jump from a 75 Hz refresh rate to 120 Hz. Separated by months, though, it was hard to really appreciate these improvements.
I'm still impressed by the Morpheus prototype's industrial design, which puts the main weight of the device on a headband area, rather than on elastic goggles that clamp to the front of your face. The new prototype features a couple of buttons that make it quite easy to adjust the fit and focus quickly and to slide the display so it hovers a comfortable distance from your face. I think the unit felt lighter and less cumbersome than last year's prototype, but I couldn't swear that this change wasn't just in my head.
The only problem, of course, is that I was trapped in a relatively small play area for the entire firefight. Even when my virtual co-conspirator screamed "Get out of there" in my ear, I knew I couldn't actually run for the exit without taking the entire Morpheus and PS4 apparatus with me in the real world. Taking this kind of VR experience from a virtual shooting gallery to a fully explorable first-person shooter world is going to remain a challenge.
We'll see what the price is 'killer app' is, but I remain cautiously optimistic.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2015, 03:47 PM

Nothing about Sony's 20 million PS4 sales Dakar?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 4, 2015, 03:57 PM

Nothing about Sony's 20 million PS4 sales Dakar?
I don't have any historical and present context that might make it interesting.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 4, 2015, 04:38 PM

God damn.
EA Shuts Down SimCity Developer Maxis
EA has shut down Maxis Emeryville, the main Maxis studio and longrunning developer behind SimCity and Spore, among other games.
Today we are consolidating Maxis IP development to our studios in Redwood Shores, Salt Lake City, Helsinki and Melbourne locations as we close our Emeryville location. Maxis continues to support and develop new experiences for current Sims and SimCity players, while expanding our franchises to new platforms and developing new cross-platform IP.

These changes do not impact our plans for The Sims. Players will continue to see rich new experiences in The Sims 4, with our first expansion pack coming soon along with a full slate of additional updates and content in the pipeline.

All employees impacted by the changes today will be given opportunities to explore other positions within the Maxis studios and throughout EA. For those that are leaving the company, we are working to ensure the best possible transition with separation packages and career assistance.

People are predicting Criterion next.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 5, 2015, 01:19 PM

Steam Gauge: Measuring the most popular Steam games of 2014 | Ars Technica

I've never heard of the most owned game. Came as a bit of a shock, really.

Goat simulator. A not-so-subtle reminder that fun overrides a lot. It started out as a god damn joke.
(Also, note Civ got a lot purchases on name alone)

It ain't even close.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 5, 2015, 01:29 PM

Oh good, half of neogaf has never heard of unturned. I feel vindicated.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2015, 03:53 PM

I've heard of marriages being lost in the UK due to Football Manager.

P
Mar 5, 2015, 06:22 PM

I think Civ:BE was in at least one Civ bundle, which would explain the poor plays-to-sales ratio. Firaxis likes to make massive bundles every so often.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2015, 03:25 AM

152 hours per year? Pfftt, I knew guys who played that much WoW in a week (sadly).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2015, 12:39 PM

Despite not feeling quite as attached to Civ V as I was to Civ IV, it's still a great way to lose 5 hours and then wonder, "Why?"

P
Mar 7, 2015, 03:06 PM

152 hours per year? Pfftt, I knew guys who played that much WoW in a week (sadly).
That's 16 hours a week NOT playing it. Assuming you eat and drink at the keyboard, it is 16 hours sleep - which is still crazy low.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2015, 01:31 PM

That's why so many people had to be hospitalized (or simply died). Some were running bots too, so it was hard to tell if someone was really on or not sometimes, but that still counts towards their number of hours logged in.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2015, 01:38 PM

There are WoW clans in France that only accept unemployed people. Sad ****ers IMHO.

bstges
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2015, 10:37 AM

Some are really crazy about wow, and not necessary in a bad way, the game is good but i cant see myself in 152 hours playing..just too much

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 9, 2015, 10:55 AM

Some screens leaked about the insider program testing Sony's next update for the PS4. Suspend/resume is supposed to debut (finally), but more interestingly, the OS will allow button remapping. This is huge. Now instead of relying on the developer, the OS can do things for you. This makes so much sense!

Now word if it'll be a case by case basis or what.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2015, 11:58 AM

This is sek's face after reading the above post.

( Last edited by Stogieman; Mar 9, 2015 at 04:57 PM. )

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 9, 2015, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
This is sek's face after reading the above post.

( Last edited by Laminar; Mar 10, 2015 at 01:11 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2015, 02:13 PM

Oh man, if the PS4 lets me re-map my controls to any game I'm gonna need new pantaloons.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 9, 2015, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Oh man, if the PS4 lets me re-map my controls to any game I'm gonna need new pantaloons.
Don't worry, I'm sure they won't have game-by-game profiles, making it frustrating.

I wouldn't mind fully remapping GTA to BF4 controls, though

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2015, 03:47 PM

Don't worry, I'm sure they won't have game-by-game profiles, making it frustrating.
Ugh, you had to ruin it, didn't you?

Not the end of the world really, since the main reason I'd like to remap is to have a sort of parity across games with similar functionality.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 9, 2015, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Ugh, you had to ruin it, didn't you?
Just being realistic. Anyone with some sense would know you'll need it to be on a game-by-game basis.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2015, 03:43 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2015, 09:44 AM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2015, 12:17 PM

Seems like an eventual no-brainer.

I actually wish they'd come up with a multiplayer-only All-Star game of sorts, incorporating Black Ops' customization with MW2's gameplay, and about 30 of the most-loved maps.

P
Mar 11, 2015, 12:49 PM

They can save some money by skipping the single player campaign. As I remember it, that was the worst SP campaign in any CoD.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2015, 12:51 PM

My good lord no. I played MW3

P
Mar 11, 2015, 12:56 PM

Fair enough, never played that, nor anything CoD after the departure of West/Zampella.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2015, 12:58 PM

Oh god, I forgot. I hated Black Ops worse than 3.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2015, 02:28 PM

Yes, please, that's actually one remake I might buy. CoD:MW2 had probably the best multiplayer experience ever and the best maps.

Originally Posted by P
They can save some money by skipping the single player campaign. As I remember it, that was the worst SP campaign in any CoD.
Yeah, they can skip the SP campaign. If I'm buying this, it's for the MP campaign.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2015, 04:11 PM

I'd prefer CoD4/MW1 personally, although MW2 was very very good. I can't remember having as many network issues in MW1 as in MW2, maybe thats why.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2015, 08:28 PM

MW2 best CoD IMO. Console gaming is dead to me though :|

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2015, 07:53 AM

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2015, 12:01 PM

If they can prevent doing a 'DriveClub', I'm all in for a delay.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2015, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
If they can prevent doing a 'DriveClub', I'm all in for a delay.
It burns...

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2015, 05:15 PM

Oh shit, I just realized it is March 2015 and we still don't have a PSN Plus version of Drive Club. SMH

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2015, 06:51 PM

Every update to the game there's line about prepping servers for the PS+ version.

Forum Links
Forum Rules