Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 115)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2015, 12:11 AM

I read somewhere that F4 broke Steams record for concurrent users, previously held by GTA V. That's damn impressive.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2015, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I read somewhere that F4 broke Steams record for concurrent users, previously held by GTA V. That's damn impressive.
Yes, indeed.

12 million copies shipped, $750 million so far.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2015, 12:30 AM

As always, shipped is not sold.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2015, 09:01 PM

As always, shipped is not sold.
I know, I know. A Microsoft playbook classic.

Still, the game is doing phenomenally well.

P
Nov 15, 2015, 09:48 AM

Right this minute, Fallout is third on Steam behind DOTA 2 and CS:GO, and a good chunk of Fallout 4 players will be on consoles.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2015, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Right this minute, Fallout is third on Steam behind DOTA 2 and CS:GO, and a good chunk of Fallout 4 players will be on consoles.
I can't wait for the mods to pour in. It's begun, but the next two years are going to be interesting. I wonder if it'll have as long of legs as Skyrim.

Also, speaking of DOTA 2, have you played it much? I've experimented with LoL, HotS, and DOTA 2, and as far as I can tell, DOTA 2 is the least attractive and least fun of the three.

P
Nov 15, 2015, 04:01 PM

Me? Never touched it. TBH, I play mostly strategy games these days. What pulls me out of that is sequels to games I used to play back in the day and games with a really good story.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2015, 08:50 AM

I got Black Ops 3 instead of Fallout 4.

No regrets, it plays like the CoD of old. Having great fun and it seems the majority agree. Very balanced, good maps. Kids will have fun with the customizations and paint jobs. Did about 10 minutes of the campaign and tried zombies but I've now got 20 hours of online. 99% of the time its TDM. Nothing to complain about regarding my crap net connection - not very many WTF moments in terms of gettiong shot after moving behind a wall. Player controlled aircraft aren't the killing machines that they were, every choice has another choice that counter-acts it. I still can't snipe for sh1t but the assaults, SMGs, LMGs and shotties are all good.

Small patch the other day that slightly nerfed some guns and boosted some others, but you honestly can't tell the difference. Oh and some clan called DOOM already hit 10th level prestige (55 ranks in each).

Vonderhaar is doing well.

P
Nov 17, 2015, 01:24 PM

Rise of the Tomb Raider is apparently doing terribly in early sales. Going up against the behemoth that is Fallout 4 was apparently a really bad idea. I really don't get that release timing - Squenix & MS are apparently defending themselves with this being a tough year, with Halo 5 and Star Wars Battlefront, but Fallout is clearly the biggest gaming event of the year.

It is a good year, though - especially compared to 2014.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2015, 03:34 PM

I was pleasantly surprised with the game day release of Star Wars Battlefront. I was expecting more of a BF4 or Halo 5 type of disaster. Had a pre-ordered digital copy of the game installed on my PS4 last week. When I came home from work last night, the 1.02 patch was installed. (Love "standby mode" on the PS4 btw.) The countdown on the game was based on Eastern Time so us west coast folks started playing at 9pm our time.

I jumped into the game as soon as the countdown ended. Started off with a few tutorial missions before jumping into multiplayer. There was no lag or server connection issues to be found. A miracle this day and age when it comes to game day releases. Kudos to DICE and EA.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2015, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I was pleasantly surprised with the game day release of Star Wars Battlefront. I was expecting more of a BF4 or Halo 5 type of disaster. Had a pre-ordered digital copy of the game installed on my PS4 last week. When I came home from work last night, the 1.02 patch was installed. (Love "standby mode" on the PS4 btw.) The countdown on the game was based on Eastern Time so us west coast folks started playing at 9pm our time.

I jumped into the game as soon as the countdown ended. Started off with a few tutorial missions before jumping into multiplayer. There was no lag or server connection issues to be found. A miracle this day and age when it comes to game day releases. Kudos to DICE and EA.
If Battlefront had an 8-hour campaign that looked and felt like the Survival mode, it would be an immediate purchase for me. I did see that EA was planning sequels, so hopefully the second one is far meatier.

Please keep us informed as to how you feel about the game, because if it actually has legs, then maybe it's a pre-Christmas purchase.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2015, 11:40 AM

but Fallout is clearly the biggest gaming event of the year.
Better sales than Blops 3?

P
Nov 18, 2015, 01:46 PM

We don't know yet, but it certainly has much more media attention. CoD is deep in the rabbit hole of preaching to the choir and gets less attention from people outside the main fan base these days.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2015, 06:06 PM

Also it's attempts to innovate or at least evolve were not met well. It's in the same place as halo now. A dwindling base, the most loyal and vocal of which don't care for change.

Battlefield will probably be there after 5. Will be interesting to see what shooter takes consoles by storm after that.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2015, 08:31 PM

Did they really need to add wall running?

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2015, 02:18 AM

Well another 6.2 GB update needed for Halo 5 today. With the 9 GB day 1 update plus this installation, that makes it one of the largest games on my HD which is now taking up a total of 60.5GB!

The latest update added big team battle which I'm having a blast with!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2015, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Ironically, stolen from Respawn.

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Well another 6.2 GB update needed for Halo 5 today. With the 9 GB day 1 update plus this installation, that makes it one of the largest games on my HD which is now taking up a total of 60.5GB!

I have to assumed they're giving you maps in there.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2015, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
I take it in big team battle you can't ask for Req's? I haven't played Arena yet, I've stayed in warzone. But from what I heard, the Arena playlists don't use the Req system except for cosmetic Reqs.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2015, 10:15 AM

Its actually very well done. I was worried about bunny-hopping Halo wannabes but it's done in such a way that its not the solution for when you're caught unaware after steaming round a corner. What it does do (for those that master it, I don't) is give another dimension for flanking, getting around obstacles, etc. Like I said, I'm no good at using it, but I don't dislike that its in the game.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 20, 2015, 11:28 AM

You've come a long way baby
A Price Of Games Journalism

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2015, 05:45 PM

You've come a long way baby
A Price Of Games Journalism
Kotaku couldn't possibly come off any whinier.

They act like they're the NPR of game journalism, when they're really more like Gawker, and don't understand why they get blacklisted. So far they've expressed contempt for their audience, publishers, and developers. Who's next?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 20, 2015, 09:15 PM

Jalopnik used to brag about how they were too badass and rogue to respect manufacturer's embargoes. Until they realized that if they're on manufacturers' bad sides, they don't get access to cars, and you can't just go to GameStop and get the latest car for $60 after release day. So now they totally respect manufacturer's embargo.

Play by the rules they set or they shut you out. I'm not sure what about that is unfair.

P
Nov 20, 2015, 09:42 PM

Not the same thing. Kotaku reported on legitimate news that was not under embargo and got shut out for it. Breaking embargos is something else.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 20, 2015, 11:06 PM

Images of the 2015 Mustang or C7 Corvette leaking ahead of time was certainly news, even though the manufacturers didn't want them getting out, and GM made their life hard afterwards even though they weren't breaking a specifically agreed-to embargo. Like I said, play by their rules or they shut you out.

P
Nov 21, 2015, 07:55 AM

Leaking images of games in progress, sure. My main complaint was that Bethesda seems to have reacted to the piece describing problems in the development of Doom 4. When a site like Kotaku stops publishing news like that for fear of publisher retaliation, we're in trouble.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2015, 11:24 PM

Leaking images of games in progress, sure. My main complaint was that Bethesda seems to have reacted to the piece describing problems in the development of Doom 4. When a site like Kotaku stops publishing news like that for fear of publisher retaliation, we're in trouble.
Did they actually confirm that the Doom 4 piece is what upset them?

Perhaps there's also a growing, general distaste for Kotaku in the industry that's causing publishers who aren't affected to have particularly thin skin.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2015, 02:35 AM

Kotaku couldn't possibly come off any whinier.
Reaction at NeoGAF was equally mixed.

To me there's a big difference between not sending review copies and flat-out not responding to any media inquiries. That latter comes off as amazingly petulant.

Do movie sites get this kind of shit from studios?

P
Nov 22, 2015, 08:34 AM

Reaction at NeoGAF was equally mixed.

To me there's a big difference between not sending review copies and flat-out not responding to any media inquiries. That latter comes off as amazingly petulant.
This. Send out review copies to whomever you like, but refusing to answer questions is across the line, for me.

(Note that Apple used to do this all the time. Doesn't make it any better.)

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2015, 05:16 PM

Overwatch is a f**king blast! Since I got it I've not even touched FO4.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2015, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Overwatch is a f**king blast! Since I got it I've not even touched FO4.
I've wanted to play it every since watching a few Twitch streams. I always hated that I missed out on the heydays of Team Fortress 2, and this looks to be the next successor.

Do you find there to be a big barrier to entry concerning understanding the class system?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2015, 09:21 PM

Nah. Tanks, Damage, and Support. Different characters are better for different situations, but you designate a class, Ex. say that you want to be damage, and then you switch chars as the needs arise. I like tanking and damage, and since most people don't want to tank, that's what I've done in most games. For offensive tanks, Winston is a badass (and extremely disruptive), and for defensive no one touches Reinhardt (a necessity for the payload map). The few times I have played damage I hopped between McCree, Tracer, Reaper, and Widowmaker a lot.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 24, 2015, 12:15 PM

Anyone playing Battlefront? For such an anticipated game for the past 10 years it seems to have landed with a thud. I keep watching the videos but it doesn't seem fun.. Went on Amazon to take a look and was shocked to see it's rated pretty terribly for such a popular release (2 1/2 stars. For reference, both BF4 and Hardline are at 3 1/2). Thoughts?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2015, 12:38 PM

Battlefront? Nah. Who wants to play Battlefront when Halo 5 is here. Brings back the old Halo 4 days.
MacBook Pro

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2015, 01:16 PM

Anyone playing Battlefront? For such an anticipated game for the past 10 years it seems to have landed with a thud. I keep watching the videos but it doesn't seem fun.. Went on Amazon to take a look and was shocked to see it's rated pretty terribly for such a popular release (2 1/2 stars. For reference, both BF4 and Hardline are at 3 1/2). Thoughts?
The beta killed it for me. I'm wondering if the beta actually killed their momentum enough to drastically influence sales.

I do hope they follow through and develop sequels, though. The engine is amazing — it just needs to be fleshed out.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2015, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Battlefront? Nah. Who wants to play Battlefront when Halo 5 is here. Brings back the old Halo 4 days.
I had heard it was reminding people of the Master Chief Collection in regards to server issues.

All systems go now?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2015, 04:38 PM

I haven't been on every day, since I'm still playing Destiny, but whenever I'm on I've never had a problem. I've been playing Warzone mostly, their new 24 player multiplayer game type.

I tried slayer one day, but although my team won, I sucked bad. My team carried me. I suck a lot less at Warzone.
MacBook Pro

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2015, 08:13 PM

I probably won't even buy Battlefront, the complete absence of content leaves me indifferent (and this from a huge fan of the franchise). It takes sheer talent to make a Star Wars game crater, one month before the most anticipated movie of the decade is released. *golf clap*

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2015, 12:21 AM

Bought a Vader PS4 last week. Already died.

Hooray.

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2015, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
I probably won't even buy Battlefront, the complete absence of content leaves me indifferent (and this from a huge fan of the franchise). It takes sheer talent to make a Star Wars game crater, one month before the most anticipated movie of the decade is released. *golf clap*
I was rather disappointed in how little 'game' there is. There's basically 4 maps and 3 game modes and then just the different permutations therein. Not worth $60.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2015, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I was rather disappointed in how little 'game' there is. There's basically 4 maps and 3 game modes and then just the different permutations therein. Not worth $60.
Can't remember where I saw it, but they talked about Battlefront being a $20 game due to lack of content.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2015, 01:08 PM

Bought a Vader PS4 last week. Already died.

Hooray.
It died of a broken heart

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2015, 03:44 PM

and the worst part, EA has the franchise contract for 10 years. 10... ****ing... years...

If that doesn't depress a Star Wars fan, nothing will.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2015, 11:33 PM

So X-Box is celebrating the 10th anniversary since it introduced Achievements. TrueAchievements has a cool link that shows your very first Achievement. Stogie? You've probably got the same one as I since we both got our 360s on the same night of Halo 3's release...

What was your first Achievement? I'm curious to know...

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2015, 12:48 PM

Wow! Mine wasn't a HALO achievement. It was a Crackdown achievement. I think the reason for that is I bought the Xbox 360 way before HALO 3, and I bought HALO 2 which was an Xbox game and not an Xbox 360 game, so achievements from HALO 2 didn't show up in Xbox 360 or Xbox (the original) didn't have achievements.
MacBook Pro

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2015, 11:48 PM

Angry Joe nails it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2015, 11:10 AM

Commandos Collection is less than $2 on Steam right now: Save 85% on Commandos Collection on Steam

This was one of my favorite games in the 90s. Increeivle, punishing value to be had.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2015, 11:38 AM

If you want your PC to explode while its trying to render shiny things, there's a mod for GTA V Massive 'GTA V' mod adds way more than 4K textures

There are a few other mods to the game as well as the graphics upgrade.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2015, 11:03 AM

Konami banned Kojima from the VGAs last night.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2015, 05:42 AM

Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle are being HD remastered for PS4 / Vita
Double Fine's next games include a 'Full Throttle' remaster

(Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit...)

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2015, 09:34 PM

Great review of Battlefront from totalbiscuit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLtwK6Oe23I
I think he managed to verbalize a lot of things I couldn't quite put my finger on. I'd also say its probably one of the best reviews I've ever heard from him. Sounded more prepared than the usual off-the-cuff.

It's hard to understand how DICE could fail so completely on the gameplay side given their pedigree and now I'm beginning to think Disney may have had some say (At the very least EA was weighing in more heavily than normal).

So, to sum up my thoughts on a DICE made Battlefront again:

Forum Links
Forum Rules