Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > question regarding PC 133 ram

question regarding PC 133 ram
Chito
Senior User
Jan 28, 2002, 02:36 PM

Ok...now that I've calmed down since ordering my new G4 this morning my question deals with ram. Specifically can I take PC100 ram out of my old G4 and put it into my new QS 933? Even if it slows things down it would get me through till I can buy the right ram. So....whaddya say?
Thanks
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Hemingray
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2002, 02:49 PM

Personally, I wouldn't. Don't bottleneck your RAM.

I put PC66 RAM in my PC100 G4 years ago and I'm not sure if it was coincidence or whatever, but I had weird little performance problems from that point on--QuickTime suffered, for one thing. And even though I took out the PC66, my computer's never been the same since then.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2002, 02:59 PM

I agree putting pc133 ram in a Mac with a 100Mhz motherboard is ok, but not the other way around. If you put that pc100 ram in your new quicksliver its a real gamble. You might be ok, but you might also have constant lock ups, etc.. to deal with.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Chito  (op)
Senior User
Jan 28, 2002, 03:05 PM

thanks....I won't gamble with it. Whats another $69?
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Forum Links
Forum Rules