Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Xserve Case

Xserve Case
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2002, 06:27 PM

Xserve's are 1U and meant to be put in a rack. But. I'm sure that many, if not MOST of the people that would buy this, would only need one. Does apple, or anyone, make some sort of desktop style case, something meant to hold just a single Xserve. As my small business grows, I can definately see myself buying one for my web site, and all my other web sites and email etc. But one would be all i'd need. I could jsut get a G4 tower I suppose but I just wonder if anyone makes any sort of case to put these rackmount computers just sitting on a desk or hanging on the wall or something like that.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2002, 07:23 PM

The noise will drive you nuts. These are meant to be put in a closet or server room.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2002, 08:18 PM

There's some company that makes a suitcase that you can mount a 1U rack-mount dealy in. I'll see if I can find the link again.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2002, 08:48 PM

Apple offers the xServe in a standard tower case now. A company called Marathon Computer makes rackmount brackets for all sorts of Apple Macintosh products, including 1U cases for iMacs. They also make all sorts of other brackets and holsters for Macs. You should check them out.

Edit Note: Added image.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2002, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
Apple offers the xServe in a standard tower case now.
I looked and didn't see this anywhere?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2002, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by l008com:
I looked and didn't see this anywhere?
In the PowerMac G4 section. There should be an icon on the top right that asks,"Need a PowerMac G4 server?" Or you can just click here.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2002, 10:30 PM

In the PowerMac G4 section. There should be an icon on the top right that asks,"Need a PowerMac G4 server?" Or you can just click here.
Session timed out. Besides I found it on my own and all it is is a regular PowerMac G4 with OS X Server loaded instead of OS X Client. Then again, besides the OS and case design, there really isn't much of a difference between a PowerMac and n Xserve is there. Hmmmm interesting.

MGossett
Nov 24, 2002, 12:05 PM

Then again, besides the OS and case design, there really isn't much of a difference between a PowerMac and n Xserve is there
Aside from hot-swappable drives (one of the xServe's main features), and the usual server activity lights, etc., no.

-Mike

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2002, 08:12 PM

Session timed out. Besides I found it on my own and all it is is a regular PowerMac G4 with OS X Server loaded instead of OS X Client. Then again, besides the OS and case design, there really isn't much of a difference between a PowerMac and n Xserve is there. Hmmmm interesting.
Actually, the server has a redundant power supply
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Secret Vampire
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2002, 09:15 PM

You used to be able to get desktop rack cabinets that were 2u high, they might have been available in 1u too...

But, what I'd do is buy a small cabinet, and use it to contain the xserve, switch, UPS, and all your other comms kit, the smallest I can find is 12u, that's 1 for the xserve, 2 for the ups, 1 for the switch, and 8 spare... I've seen smaller cabinets, but they might not be deep enough for the xserve.
Secret

4 Macs, 6 Amigas, 3 SparcStations, an Atari ST, an Acorn, and N+1 PCs.

I'm such a geek.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 24, 2002, 09:34 PM

search ebay. a musicians rack is the kinda thing you want. i know you can definitely get them as small as 3 space racks, but i'm sure there must be 1-spaces racks if you look
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Jansar
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2002, 09:35 PM

It's a Power Mac G4 with OS X Server installed on it (like Apple did before). The Xserve is a completely different animal. However, the new MDD computers are designed to be a lot like the Xserve (powerful, 4 HD slots, etc).
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2002, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by MGossett:
Aside from hot-swappable drives (one of the xServe's main features), and the usual server activity lights, etc., no.

-Mike
And the nifty 64-bit PCI that also doubles as a 2x AGP. I think ALL the ports should be like that. That'd be kickass to stick either/or in all the slots.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2002, 10:58 PM

And the nifty 64-bit PCI that also doubles as a 2x AGP. I think ALL the ports should be like that. That'd be kickass to stick either/or in all the slots.
Agreed.... Imagine apple's advertising:

"The new PowerMac G4: As many Geforce FX cards as you want (2 included)"
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2002, 01:33 AM

A motherboard can only have one AGP slot no matter what. How can you have an AGP slot that doubles as a PCI slot though? They are physically different?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2002, 02:11 AM

A motherboard can only have one AGP slot no matter what. How can you have an AGP slot that doubles as a PCI slot though? They are physically different?
Why couldn't you have more than one AGP slot on a motherboard?

Secret Vampire
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2002, 09:16 PM

You could have more than one AGP slot in a motherboard, but...

AGP is designed to connect a single graphics card with high bandwidth and low latency, it isn't an expansion bus. to get multiple AGPs you would need multiple AGP controllers, and a whole shedload of bandwidth. for most boards it isn't worth the cost or additional complexity to implement, for those where it might be, you don't bother with AGP
Secret

4 Macs, 6 Amigas, 3 SparcStations, an Atari ST, an Acorn, and N+1 PCs.

I'm such a geek.

Forum Links
Forum Rules