Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Creepily cool: Man grows back finger. Videos inside!

Creepily cool: Man grows back finger. Videos inside!
Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2008, 09:33 PM

Man grows back tip of finger after traumatic amputation.

Don't stick your finger in front of a spinning propeller folks...

How the regrowth process is done.

I must say, I'm shocked at how fast it grew back, and how simple the process is. Very cool.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2008, 10:17 PM

That is nothing short of incredible.

reader50
Administrator
May 1, 2008, 12:12 AM

I'd say this is an important one.

Also, the researchers you saw are going to be filthy rich 10 years from now. Or the corp they signed the rights to will be.

MM-o4
Senior User
May 1, 2008, 01:34 AM

cool

I feel a little bit safer riding a motorbike, but only a little cause there still is the pain thing

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
May 1, 2008, 02:42 AM

thats awesome
ice

OreoCookie
May 1, 2008, 06:20 AM

That's why I love science!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Paco500
Professional Poster
May 1, 2008, 07:24 AM

That's cool. I wonder if they will every be able to grow back my ear. Damn cancer.

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 1, 2008, 07:58 AM

wait, so he grows a finger but loses a bladder? Hmm, hopefully not his bladder.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 1, 2008, 08:18 AM

Amazing! Thanks for the link!

ghporter
Administrator
May 1, 2008, 08:44 AM

Scar tissue forms when the damage to a body part destroys the extracellular matrix of the tissue-it's called the "scaffold" upon which the cells reconstruct themselves. Think of it as a mold or template within which the cells regenerate. Without the scaffold, all that can be built is connective tissue-basically amorphous collagen fibers. Since the fibers aren't aligned, they tend to shorten in all directions, and without a matrix to establish their limits, the fibers often form thick layers.

This is REALLY very promising. Regrow skin on a burned hand and make the hand functional. Regrow cartilage and tendons in a knee and never hurt again. Just WOW!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2008, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
wait, so he grows a finger but loses a bladder? Hmm, hopefully not his bladder.
Pig bladder.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 09:24 AM

Edit: Eug beat me to it. Lame EDGE network hates my freedom.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 09:42 AM

Nothing short of amazing.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2008, 10:10 AM

Once again South Park is at the forefront of science.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 1, 2008, 10:13 AM

Insurance will never cover that.

Railroader
Banned
May 1, 2008, 10:27 AM

I wonder if we can grow a few 'NNers heads back on?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2008, 10:32 AM

No, you just have to develop technology to extract their heads from their back ends.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 1, 2008, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Scar tissue forms when the damage to a body part destroys the extracellular matrix of the tissue-it's called the "scaffold" upon which the cells reconstruct themselves. Think of it as a mold or template within which the cells regenerate. Without the scaffold, all that can be built is connective tissue-basically amorphous collagen fibers. Since the fibers aren't aligned, they tend to shorten in all directions, and without a matrix to establish their limits, the fibers often form thick layers.

This is REALLY very promising. Regrow skin on a burned hand and make the hand functional. Regrow cartilage and tendons in a knee and never hurt again. Just WOW!
Very interesting, ghporter.

I'm just wondering if there's any time limit to this. Does this "pixie dust" need to be applied right away, shortly after the damage occurs, or can it be applied months, years, even decades after the incident and still help regrow the damaged part just the same? And if it can, does that mean the wound must be re-opened to administer the powder, or will it work through already sealed up skin as well?

And I mean, this guy not only grew his flesh back, but the tip of his finger bone, too right?

Not sure if anybody here has the answers to these questions, but I'd sure like to find them out (without getting my own limbs cut, that is).

Railroader
Banned
May 1, 2008, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
No, you just have to develop technology to extract their heads from their back ends.
Touche'

ghporter
Administrator
May 1, 2008, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gamoe View Post
Very interesting, ghporter.

I'm just wondering if there's any time limit to this. Does this "pixie dust" need to be applied right away, shortly after the damage occurs, or can it be applied months, years, even decades after the incident and still help regrow the damaged part just the same? And if it can, does that mean the wound must be re-opened to administer the powder, or will it work through already sealed up skin as well?

And I mean, this guy not only grew his flesh back, but the tip of his finger bone, too right?

Not sure if anybody here has the answers to these questions, but I'd sure like to find them out (without getting my own limbs cut, that is).
You raise good questions that I don't have answers for.

But I did see articles on another application of this sort of approach. Growing a new heart using a scaffolding. Absolutely the coolest thing I've seen. Hearts don't heal-they scar every time. That's why a heart attack is so bad; the muscle that's affected is permanently gone. Unless there's a way to put the patient on an external machine for a while and grow a new one for him. They've already shown that certain kinds of degenerative heart diseases can reverse themselves when the patient is placed on an external machine for a while (months)...

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 09:54 PM

I wonder if this method could ever be applied to restore damaged brain tissue or a damaged spinal cord. If so, then...wow.

reader50
Administrator
May 1, 2008, 11:28 PM

Has anyone else realized this was a necessary breakthrough before they could build realistic Terminators?

MM-o4
Senior User
May 2, 2008, 12:04 AM

^ sweet zombie jesus, he's right!

ghporter
Administrator
May 2, 2008, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post
I wonder if this method could ever be applied to restore damaged brain tissue or a damaged spinal cord. If so, then...wow.
Maybe....maybe. Right now the focus for spinal cord injury is on adult stem cells. But it's a real possibility that between powdered cellular scaffolding and stem cells that kickstart cell regrowth, a damaged spinal cord could be repaired.

The problem here is that it would have to be repaired very quickly. Those muscles that no longer have nervous connections begin to atrophy very quickly, and depending on where the damage is, it's possible for a major amount of deformity to take place in a short amount of time. But given that first aid for spinal injuries is so much better than it was even 5 years ago, I think we're near a breakthrough.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2008, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Maybe....maybe. Right now the focus for spinal cord injury is on adult stem cells. But it's a real possibility that between powdered cellular scaffolding and stem cells that kickstart cell regrowth, a damaged spinal cord could be repaired.
They do a similar treatment (though, so far only on rats) with "cellular threads" and stem cells. They spin the threads across the damaged spinal column, then coat it with the stem cells. The threads act as a structure for the cells to adhere to and grow. Cord, nerves, and even bone and muscle tissue were grown into the damaged area.

The rat went from paraplegic to 85% full mobility. The problem they discovered was, while the nerves were growing, they were not growing in properly. Some of them became crossed or entangled. It wasn't pretty, but it worked. 85% is better than nothing.

This was about 5 years ago, mind you.

This new process looks exciting, it looks like they'd be able to produce a large amount of the powder. I like to see how it affects severe burn victims.

Like you said, I think there's a great opportunity for these two processes to work together for some incredible results.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 3, 2008, 09:45 PM

Maybe it is fake. Experts discredit regenerative 'pixie dust' - Times Online

It would have been cool though.

Ratm
Mac Elite
May 3, 2008, 10:41 PM

Watching this reminded me of that scene from The Fifth Element where they reconstructed her entire body from the small sample of tissue they were able to recover from the wreckage.
( Last edited by Ratm; May 3, 2008 at 10:48 PM. )

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 3, 2008, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ratm View Post
Watching this reminded me of that scene from The Fifth Element where they reconstructed her entire body from the small sample of tissue they were able to recover from the wreckage.
Yep... those were some pretty cool bandages she wore for clothes

Ratm
Mac Elite
May 4, 2008, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
Yep... those were some pretty cool bandages she wore for clothes
fo shizzle 1

Forum Links
Forum Rules