Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Macworld Prediction Thread

Macworld Prediction Thread (Page 2)
stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2007, 07:24 PM

I'm going to step out on a ledge here and say the 3G iPhone. Apple tried to screw us over by dropping the price two months later. Why wouldn't they give us 10x faster internet six months later? Well, maybe not after the millions that Apple lost after the price drop.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2007, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
The PowerBook G5 and Mac mini G5. And a widescreen iBook.

I'd buy one of each in a heartbeat. Screw speed! I could finally say I have a PowerBook G5!
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2007, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by stwain2003 View Post
I'm going to step out on a ledge here and say the 3G iPhone. Apple tried to screw us over by dropping the price two months later. Why wouldn't they give us 10x faster internet six months later? Well, maybe not after the millions that Apple lost after the price drop.
I'm assuming you meant "after the millions that Apple gained after the price drop." Sure, they had to give a number of rebates, but they never lost money. Also, there was a LARGE sales spike after the rebate (heck, even I thought about getting one!).

Come next fall, I'm drinking the cool-aid and picking one up.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2008, 09:00 PM

It will be a slimming show:

1. Slimmer Mac Mini
2. Slimmer Apple TV
3. Slimmed down MacBook or MacBook Pro for the road
4. Slimmer retail packaging for the above

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2008, 09:51 PM

King 5 news in Seattle pretty much confirmed iTunes rentals a few days ago. They said Fox was the first to get on board and they made it sound like rentals were already actually available through iTunes.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2008, 10:23 PM

Powermac G6 Dodecahedron Mini-tower!

Hell, I don't know. I think the Apple TV is due for big revision, or the axe. One of the two.

Also, the stock will drop by 10 points that day or the next, due to unrealistic expectations, which creates a buying opportunity. Save your $$ and watch for it to go below 175 then BUY, BUY, BUY@@!!11!

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2008, 10:29 PM

Yes, like every year, people will be disappointed Apple didn't match our expectations exactly. Apple will, of course, have a reason - like the fact that Photoshopped mock-ups don't always work well in real life. Take that extra long track pad for example. Where do you rest your wrists when you type?

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2008, 11:02 PM

Hi, my 5 cents go to:

- iPhone rest of Europe starting february, Japan 2Q
- The announced iPhone SDK, and rumored new firmware features
- New Hardware result of evolution of Apple TV, Quick Look capabilities and other Mac OS X 10.5 features
- The everywhere rumored movie rentals and new iTunes version
- Ultra-thin Cinema Displays

I don't think that new Mac Pros, new Mac minis and new Macbooks come all together in one event.

I don't think that the next iPhone will be presented physically, maybe just some specifications. The iPhone will go 3G after the planed 10 million are first sold. A 16 Gbyte one would be nice, but seems that only one model is the current strategy. Of course you can throw me some tomatoes after the keynote.

The hope:
Integrated HSDPA sub notebook without optical disk and 24 hours battery life

Best Regards

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2008, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
No more Mini
Yes, it will be the size of a candy bar and called the Mac nano

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2008, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
Yes, like every year, people will be disappointed Apple didn't match our expectations exactly. Apple will, of course, have a reason - like the fact that Photoshopped mock-ups don't always work well in real life. Take that extra long track pad for example. Where do you rest your wrists when you type?
As mentioned earlier in the thread, Apple actually did file for a patent on this, and the patent addressed the "What do I do with my wrists?" question.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2008, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I've been wondering if they incorporate true commercial hi-def optical disc support (Blu-ray and/or HD DVD), but my guess is no. If they did do it though, it'd come with a new Mac Pro (which is due for an update).

Oh and no 3G iPhone either yet.

Maybe a new small form factor pro laptop.

Quiet release of an updated Mac mini? Nah. Too early.

Maybe a new Xserve. (And yes they have announced Xserves at Macworld before.)

No iTablet.
I'd probably buy a Mac mini IF it got these spec updates:

1) 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo
2) GMA X3100
3) HDMI with HDCP support

I expect none of the above at Macworld, and perhaps only #2 when it finally does get updated, in the spring. Maybe I'll get what I want by fall.

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
As mentioned earlier in the thread, Apple actually did file for a patent on this, and the patent addressed the "What do I do with my wrists?" question.
So what did it say?

PaperNotes
Jan 6, 2008, 03:28 PM

I'll buy an eight core Mac Pro in a few months if they include a Geforce 9 series option. It will be my first desktop in six years.

Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2008, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
So what did it say?
That there would be technology (probably similar to the iPhone proximity sensor) to detect when you were resting.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2008, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
That there would be technology (probably similar to the iPhone proximity sensor) to detect when you were resting.
I think I remember something like that. However, with the clicker, it looks like an uncomfortable place to wrest your wrist. And typing would probably accidentally make you click on stuff unintentionally.

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2008, 04:33 PM

Apple, PLEASE KEEP THE MINIS! Seriously. I love my G4!

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2008, 05:17 PM

1. subnotebook with external optical drive.
2. a merged ï£żTV/Mac mini/home server, no optical drive, but you can use the external one.
3. iPhone/iTouch updates including new apps and games
4. Mac Pro update with Blu-Ray
5. Game demos: Unreal Tournament 3 and Gears of War.
6. New Aperture and Aperture Express.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Jan 6, 2008 at 05:23 PM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2008, 06:06 PM

The thin and light made no sense to me until I saw those patents where it can neatly dock into a screen.

I think this is a great idea as I could use the power of a laptop I just want a larger screen for home. I know I can do video out but I hate swapping cables and I want a 30" screen.

It might even be interesting if the DVD drive and an extra hard drive were built into the screen/imac.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2008, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
The thin and light made no sense to me until I saw those patents where it can neatly dock into a screen.

I think this is a great idea as I could use the power of a laptop I just want a larger screen for home. I know I can do video out but I hate swapping cables and I want a 30" screen.

It might even be interesting if the DVD drive and an extra hard drive were built into the screen/imac.
Wasn't DuoDock a horrible failure? I'm not sure how this is an improvement, but I honestly haven't thought about it that much.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2008, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post
Wasn't DuoDock a horrible failure? I'm not sure how this is an improvement, but I honestly haven't thought about it that much.
Yeah it was.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2008, 07:05 PM

Yeah it was.
Was it because of the price and performance? they could do it much better today.

The G4 cube tanked when it came out as it was expensive. The Mini 5 years later was smaller and cheaper and did rather well.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2008, 07:19 PM

Was it because of the price and performance? they could do it much better today.

The G4 cube tanked when it came out as it was expensive. The Mini 5 years later was smaller and cheaper and did rather well.
If I remember right it was mostly price, and most people didn't seem to think it was worth a premium.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2008, 07:37 PM

Frankly, the DuoDock idea is unaesthetic. I don't think Jobs would approve of selling something that looks like a computer but is non-functional until you slide a laptop into it. As I said, it is just an unaesthetic idea to me.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2008, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Frankly, the DuoDock idea is unaesthetic.
As unaesthetic as the fat nano ?

Apple would surely never do that...

-t

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2008, 09:58 PM

I would not call the DuoDock a horrible failure. Keep in mind that the Duo and Duo Dock came out during the dark times of Apple, and not much sold well, so it probably did not shift many units. But compared to other Apple laptops of the era, it sold pretty well. Well enough to have at least 4 revisions.

I was working in IT at Nortel back then- and we had the largest AppleTalk network in the world- much bigger than even Apple's. I would say that at least 50% of laptops we bought were Duos.

They were great machines- I personally had 2.

[edit]

I just googled it. They were in production for 5 years and had 7 different revisions. Not what I would call a failure of a product.
( Last edited by Paco500; Jan 6, 2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: More info)

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2008, 10:00 PM

Yeah it was.
I'm not trying to bust your chops- but the Duo's came out in the mid 90's- when I'm guessing you were in elementary school. What are you basing this comment on? You didn't see many on the playground?

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2008, 10:47 PM

Here's the latest thinbook mockup I've seen:

Somehow I don't think a multi-touch trackpad will go over well. All the multitouch devices I've seen are intuitive because you work directly on the screen.

packet of krisps
Jan 7, 2008, 12:20 AM

The PowerBook G5
Think secret leaked some pics on that...the touch pad still looks a little big for it to be real, but I think its definitely close.

[15" MacBook Pro 2.6 Ghz] [G4 733] [G4 MDD DP 1.25]

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2008, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by packet of krisps View Post
Think secret leaked some pics on that...the touch pad still looks a little big for it to be real, but I think its definitely close.

OMG that's so sexy!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2008, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
Apple actually has a patent on a trackpad like that, along with a patent on how to avoid accidental input from such a trackpad while you type.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Apple actually has a patent on a trackpad like that, along with a patent on how to avoid accidental input from such a trackpad while you type.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 01:00 AM

"swg" what app did you use for the red circle? or did you use a tablet, or did you just put it into a text editor and make the circle?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 01:03 AM

I bet he used an extra wide track pad...

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
"swg" what app did you use for the red circle? or did you use a tablet, or did you just put it into a text editor and make the circle?
MS Word - Extra Wide Edition

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2008, 01:27 AM

Reminds me of the Compaq Luggable

-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 11:21 AM

I predict that Apple's stock price will drop $10 a share during Macworld, then rise $20 by Wednesday 10 am.
And the major purchaser will have a blue shirt on, and no shoes.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2008, 11:56 AM

Brings back memories.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
I'm not trying to bust your chops- but the Duo's came out in the mid 90's- when I'm guessing you were in elementary school. What are you basing this comment on? You didn't see many on the playground?
I was in elementary school in the '80s, but I still feel relatively confident Betamax failed.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2008, 12:25 PM

I am waiting for Macworld, even though all I really want at the moment is a Bluetooth keyboard. You never know what weird and wonderful things Apple will dream up to change my purchasing priorities.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 12:36 PM

The Apple Store (U.S.) - Apple Wireless Keyboard

^ Apple branded bluetooth keyboard

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2008, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
The Apple Store (U.S.) - Apple Wireless Keyboard

^ Apple branded bluetooth keyboard
I already own an Apple branded Bluetooth keyboard so I'm well aware they exist.

However, I was considering getting the wireless keyboard (and mouse) for my Cube, but Macworld releases a new product that blows my mind, I may put the money towards that instead.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I was in elementary school in the '80s, but I still feel relatively confident Betamax failed.
I hadn't considered that- that the whole PowerBook Duo drama played out with the same media scrutiny of the Betamax vs. VHS battle. Good point.

[edit]

More snarky than intended. My point was that the Duo was not a flop by most measures, certainly compared to other Apple products of the time, and I was curious what he was basing his assertion that it failed on. Certainly not actual history.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2008, 02:26 PM

The G4 cube tanked when it came out as it was expensive.
I think it tanked because Apple didn't do a good enough job explaining to people that it wasn't an iMac, it was a full fledged G4 tower computer stuck into an 8" cube. The idea that it was too expensive stemmed from people thinking it was nothing more than an iMac.
"â€ĤI contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2008, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I think it tanked because Apple didn't do a good enough job explaining to people that it wasn't an iMac, it was a full fledged G4 tower computer stuck into an 8" cube. The idea that it was too expensive stemmed from people thinking it was nothing more than an iMac.
No, the idea that it was too expensive stemmed from the fact it was too expensive.

It had the price of the Power Mac, but little of its expandibility.

Beautiful to be sure (and I own two of them), but great functional bang for the buck it was not.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2008, 02:31 PM

No, the idea that it was too expensive stemmed from the fact that you could not expand the computer like you were able to do with the real towers.

So you got an unexpandable tower (= iMac) for the price for a full-fledged tower...

Edit: well, Eug beat me to it...

-t

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 02:33 PM

it was a full fledged G4 tower computer stuck into an 8" cube.
One of the biggest draws to the tower configuration is, well, configuration. The cube was not user-upgradable, so to call it a full fledged G4 tower is a bit of a stretch.

...too slow, mr skeleton, too slow

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 02:41 PM

Yes it was upgradable. The user could replace the video card and hard drive easily. I don't know how many cards were actually available, though.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 02:42 PM

No, it was too expensive. It was more expensive than the cheapest G4 tower.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2008, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Yes it was upgradable. The user could replace the video card and hard drive easily. I don't know how many cards were actually available, though.
IIRC, the GeForce 2 MX with the massive heatsink - the version appropriate for the Cube - was rare as hen's teeth after market.

The biggest drawback was the above, and the fact you couldn't use a desktop drive. You could have a DVD-ROM drive, or a CD-RW, but not both at the same time.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
No, it was too expensive. It was more expensive than the cheapest G4 tower.
Ya that is what killed it. You paid for the cool design and size. I was happy to pay it but many wasn't.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 03:02 PM

weren't

Forum Links
Forum Rules