Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Lombard: Good CPU/display/inverter, but still no boot

Lombard: Good CPU/display/inverter, but still no boot
Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2006, 10:33 PM

Okay, I've acquired another Lombard that currently will not boot.
I've swapped the inverter and display to my currently working Lombard and verified that they work perfectly. I know the HD works, it's from another machine and works in the good Lombard. I swapped the 400MHz CPU into my Lombard, and got a cache error on startup, but it still works. So even with these good components, the computer still fails to boot. When I plug it in, i hear an extremely faint clicking, and the screen will barely flicker, as if it's trying to make a flickering picture with no backlight, except I know that both the display and inverter are good.
One interesting note: Upon initially plugging it in, I started to smell something burning, and then saw some white smoke seeping out to the left of the processor card. After some searching, I found a burn spot on what I believe is the modem. Could this be a sign of a bad power something or the other?
I'm stumped, what should I try??

DrunkenTech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2006, 12:25 PM

It's probably the logic board. The bummer is that a lot of those older laptops won't boot without a modem on the board. I don't know if the Lombard is one of them, but it's worth a shot swapping the board if you want to know for sure. I'd ditch the modem if possible.
The DrunkenTech
http://drunkentech.com

Gossamer  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2006, 02:06 AM

Okay, here's what I've done so far. I totally disassembled both Lombards. I have the one that works boot successfully (without the modem), then I move the RAM/processor/display/inverter/internal power thingy/external power supply/CD-ROM drive to the non working one. I get absolutely nothing when I hit the power button. So it's either the logic board or the little addition to it that the external PSU actually plugs into, I think I'll try that next.

Forum Links
Forum Rules