Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > dead logic board??

dead logic board??
masons247
Aug 3, 2006, 10:38 PM

I just bought a G3 ibook from ebay. When it shows the apple startup screen there is a black spot on the bottom. Is this a symptom of a dying logic board? Should I contact the seller?

The only time the video is messed up is when it is booting on the splash screen. I do not have the AC adapter it is being shipped (it didnt come with one). I am using the battery.
( Last edited by masons247; Aug 3, 2006 at 10:47 PM. )

ShaunaBlair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2006, 12:16 AM

I'd say contact the seller, though purchasing things like that on Ebay is risky. I just hope when you bid on it, that it didn't say "As-Is" in the description, because then the seller can say "Oh well, not my problem". I suppose it could be the logic board, but seems unlikely...did the seller mention anything about the problem you're seeing in the description of the item when you bid on it?

Good luck, I hope you are dealing with a decent seller!

masons247  (op)
Aug 4, 2006, 12:41 AM

i just read the description... NO WARRANTY. He mentioned NOTHING about this.

ShaunaBlair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2006, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by masons247
i just read the description... NO WARRANTY. He mentioned NOTHING about this.

Can you link me to the Ebay page by any chance?

Do you remember seing "No warranty" on the description before you bid? And did the seller lead you on to think otherwise?
MacBook (white), 2.0ghz, 512mb ram, 60gb hd : Ipod Shuffle, 512 MB

masons247  (op)
Aug 4, 2006, 12:51 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

After he shipped it I started reading things about the logic boards dying. I emailed him and he said this model didnt get affected by that. HE LIED! I checked apple.com...

EDIT: exact words

It is the original logic board, this model was not affected by those problems.

-Justin

On Aug 1, 2006, at 2:54 PM, mason wrote:

Awesome! Thanks! Hey, I just read on the internet that a lot of iBook G3s have logic board problems. Have you experienced any problems with the logic board? Is it the original logic board?

ShaunaBlair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2006, 01:03 AM

It's definately in the fine print for no warranty...which really isn't fair if you ask me since the print is so much smaller than all the other paragraphs.

On the other hand, he DID say it was in GREAT working condition. If the logic board is faulty, that's certainly not great working condition. Have you sent any emails back to him yet? The description seems very misleading...it makes you think you're getting an iBook with just a few cosmetic flaws, not internal ones.

Shauna

masons247  (op)
Aug 4, 2006, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by ShaunaBlair
It's definately in the fine print for no warranty...which really isn't fair if you ask me since the print is so much smaller than all the other paragraphs.

On the other hand, he DID say it was in GREAT working condition. If the logic board is faulty, that's certainly not great working condition. Have you sent any emails back to him yet? The description seems very misleading...it makes you think you're getting an iBook with just a few cosmetic flaws, not internal ones.

Shauna
i sent him an email saying that the logic board was malfunctioning and that he said it was not one that had faulty logic boards and that i would like a refund.

Ill update you when he responds

ShaunaBlair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2006, 01:10 AM

i sent him an email saying that the logic board was malfunctioning and that he said it was not one that had faulty logic boards and that i would like a refund.

Ill update you when he responds
I hope you get your money refunded- you certainly deserve it! And yes, come back with an update; I'm curious to see if he'll be polite and refund you, or blow it off and risk negative feedback.

masons247  (op)
Aug 4, 2006, 03:20 PM

Well, I contacted him and he told me to ship it to him and he will give me the money.. I just shipped it and I am very worried about getting ripped off.

I will update again soon.

ShaunaBlair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2006, 09:06 PM

Yikes- I'd be worried too. But don't assume the worst just yet. Do you get a full refund?

masons247  (op)
Aug 4, 2006, 09:33 PM

Yikes- I'd be worried too. But don't assume the worst just yet. Do you get a full refund?
He said I would get all the money back except for the $10 i used to ship it back. But, I bought a $30 charger

ShaunaBlair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2006, 11:05 PM

He said I would get all the money back except for the $10 i used to ship it back. But, I bought a $30 charger
Is there any way you can return th charger too?

masons247  (op)
Aug 4, 2006, 11:10 PM

Is there any way you can return th charger too?
nope

ShaunaBlair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2006, 11:29 PM

nope
Sorry. Can you look for that same model on Ebay maybe? (Though I'd understand why you might be hesitant to now)

Forum Links
Forum Rules