Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 17" won't erase CDR/W discs

New 17" won't erase CDR/W discs
all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2003, 03:54 PM

I'm trying to erase a few CDR/Ws which I have left over (previously burnt on my TiSD) and my new 17" machine won't do it.

With Toast (5.2.1) I get:

The drive reported an error:
Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR
Sense Code = 0x73, 0x03

The drive then spits the disc out. The same happens on Quick Erase.

With Disk Utility it appears to be working, though it falls back to the same screen after a few seconds. When I try a second time it says that:

"The disc could not be erased. The drive may not be able to burn or erase this type of media. Try erasing the disc in the drive in which it was burned."

Does anyone have an idea as to what might be happening? I've tried on three different discs so far. Same problem on all of them. They all have data currently on them. I'll try it on a virgin disc and post back.

Thanks for any help,
Ben

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2003, 06:59 PM

Mmm. I just erased one of the discs perfectly on my flatmate's PC. I don't want to have to rely on having a PC around (or my old Powerbook) so I have to find a way around this

I burnt my first CD-R on the machine just now - works perfectly, and at 16x, no less! Seems R/W is still at 4x, which is a pity.

Now I've got my fingers crossed there's someone out there who can give me a hand with the CDR/W problem.

<edit>

Just tried burning on the R/W I'd erased. No go. Toast complains of:

The drive reported an error:
Sense Key = ILLEGAL REQUEST
Sense Code = 0x30, 0x05
CANNOT WRITE MEDIUM - INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT.

Bugger.
( Last edited by all2ofme; Jul 19, 2003 at 07:05 PM. )

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2003, 07:36 PM

I've got the same problem with the SuperDrive in my Powermac. It handles everything else just not cd-rws.
I say problem, but it's not really a problem for me, I never got into the habit of using them.

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2003, 05:11 AM

Thanks for the reply. Most odd that it'll do everything *except* CDR/Ws. This is what I was expecting to happen with DVD-R/Ws.

I'm going to try burning a DVD later on to see if that works ok.

Superdrives don't like me! Such a pity, because aside fom this this machine is just fantastic.

Anyone else had this problem?

Forum Links
Forum Rules