Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Motorola ROKR - iTunes compatable phone announced

Motorola ROKR - iTunes compatable phone announced
starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2005, 01:28 PM

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/09...cial/index.php

"The phone will automatically pause when you get a call, explained Jobs. Songs are transferred through a USB cable.

The ROKR can only hold about 100 songs, according to Jobs. "The way we think of this phone is, it's really an iPod shuffle on your phone," he explained. Both devices can shuffle, both can autofill, neither has a click wheel -- but the phone has a display. "

No Bluetooth?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

-Q-
Sep 7, 2005, 04:51 PM

According to the info on Cingular's site, it does have Bluetooth. I guess that means the iTunes syncing can only be done via the USB cable?

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Sep 7, 2005, 05:43 PM

Believe me, it's better to do it over USB than over Bluetooth. The platform that the phone is based on has Bluetooth 1.1, and that is incredibly slow for file transfer.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 09:27 PM

bummer. I was hoping that you could use any song from your collection as your ring tone- the Cingular site says the phone has "real music ringtones" so I am assuming you can't. If you could, they would have made a bigger deal out of it.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

jfischetti
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2005, 09:45 PM

It seems that even though it has Bluetooth and USB connectivity, still no iSync transfer of Contacts and Calendars WTF??
"....and the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln!"

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2005, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by jfischetti
It seems that even though it has Bluetooth and USB connectivity, still no iSync transfer of Contacts and Calendars WTF??
somebody MUSt come up with a 3rd party fix for this- all of the pieces are there, someone needs to just put them together.

My website

k2director
Senior User
Sep 8, 2005, 04:22 AM

Apple really blew it if it let Motorola release this phone without support for synching contacts and calendar information. I gotta think that this feature IS supported, just not advertised.... but it *is* a little strange that Apple doesn't just come out and say "works with iSync" or iTunes or whatever else.

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Sep 8, 2005, 08:21 AM

Knowing Apple, it might not be supported by iSync yet (although I couldn't imagine why, they've got some of their branding on that phone, right?). I do remember how it took them well over a year to support my old Moto v600 with iSync. Ridiculous.

-Q-
Sep 8, 2005, 09:18 AM

I'd imagine that there'll be an update to iSync once the phone starts getting into people's hands that will provide for that. This is too high profile of a launch for it not to work.

videian28
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2005, 10:11 AM

mine will be here tomorrow

I will post a review when I get a chance

macdick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2005, 11:54 AM

As in Loser, a tired three year old e398 with a new button. MotorolaLAME. Only one carrier, Cingular sucks, i get 2 bars at work and 1 bar at home (new york, new york). MotorolaTIRD. Love the sexy black nano though. why pay $249 for a tired phone, when i can have a sexy Nano. Maybe that was the plan all along. Till there is an iPhone, designed by Apple, I'm not biting.

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Sep 8, 2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by macdick
As in Loser, a tired three year old e398 with a new button. MotorolaLAME. Only one carrier, Cingular sucks, i get 2 bars at work and 1 bar at home (new york, new york). MotorolaTIRD. Love the sexy black nano though. why pay $249 for a tired phone, when i can have a sexy Nano. Maybe that was the plan all along. Till there is an iPhone, designed by Apple, I'm not biting.
e398 has barely been on the market a year, last I checked. And it was never on the market in America, IIRC.

danman
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2005, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by k2director
Apple really blew it if it let Motorola release this phone without support for synching contacts and calendar information. I gotta think that this feature IS supported, just not advertised.... but it *is* a little strange that Apple doesn't just come out and say "works with iSync" or iTunes or whatever else.
This isn't an Apple phone, all Apple did was allow it to sync with iTunes and have an itunes interface. it is still a sh*tty Moto phone.

indigoimac
Senior User
Sep 8, 2005, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by macdick
I don't really care for the phone looks a little too big, but on a side note I have been very satisfied w/ my Cingular service here in Pittsburgh, PA 5 bars on my GSM Sony-Ericsson all through the city, as well as in Philly, SanFran, Upstate NY, and in europe(U.K. and Italy, verizon last I checked doesn't offer international) I am 1 of the old AT&T customers and I have been very pleased w/ Cingular.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2005, 07:24 PM

I was thinking about how many people have commented that they are suprised that Apple has made such a lackluster release with this phone, and about how it is the worst kept secrete in technology. I am getting the feeling that Apple didn't really want to release this product. I think it was forced to do so because that it where the market it heading. There hasn't been much push from the Record companies to complain over Apple locking their services and DMR with the iPod because the RIAA thinks music on cell phones is the next big thing and will make iPods obsolete. I'm betting Apple made this move onto the cellphone only to keep up with the changing technology, keep investers happy, and to keep the Record Companies backing their store. They are testing the waters, and if they are going to make a musicplayer cellphone, they might as well be first.

My website

k2director
Senior User
Sep 9, 2005, 03:04 AM

I went to a local Cingular store today and held the thing in my hand. It's bigger than I expected to boot.
So I went to my TMobile store across the street and got a RAZR to try out for 30 days.

Too bad, I was really hoping the iTunes phone would be a little more...

videian28
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2005, 04:54 PM

well I have my phone in front of me, but the phone icon will not show up in iTunes, it will open iTunes when I plug it in to the usb port, but no icon to tranfer the songs

workin on it

videian28
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2005, 05:20 PM

got it to work (had to download a small update phone driver from software update), low and behold, if you download songs from audible.com (as I do for my commute) they will not work, there goes the only reason I bought this phone, I will be sending it back soon

other than that, the music tranfers VERY slow, but works pretty well, the built in speakers are actually very good, the phone has alot of features, but I am no phone junkie, and from what I have read it blows to all that are =p

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 10:00 PM

ok this is dumb.. why doesn't it have a clickwheel on it? they clickwheel could work like an old style phone.. that would rock. you know a ROTARY phone?

i'd love a cell phone that had a rotary thing on it. no fricking buttons.

videian28
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2005, 09:17 AM

I bought Audio Hijack Pro for $32 and set it to hijack my iTunes audio books, problem solved with a work around

I recieved a response from Audible, they have yet to get a phone, but are going to try and implement it, but of course Apple with need to make this happen, they control the software. All audiobooks purchased from iTunes are from Audible.com, the fact that the ROKR does not support them is assinine

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2005, 01:34 PM

i'd love a cell phone that had a rotary thing on it. no fricking buttons.
You gonna send text messages with a rotary input device? For the young people the ROKR is aimed at, texting is arguably more important than making actual calls. A rotary thing, now matter how cool and retro, would simply never work.

Hence the disastrous failure that is Nokia's 7280.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Rumor Addict
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2005, 11:53 AM

Saw it at the apple expo here in paris. Tried navigating through songs, couldnt get back to main menu. Handed it back to the demo person who pounded on the keys a few times "It usually works fine" they say, "of course it would do this during a demo". After a few punches on the correct key it finally went back to song selection. Very sluggish to say the least. I was underwhelmed. With the nano being so small, I just dont see the use of the ROKR personally.
MacBook 2.0 / Powerbook 1ghz 12inch 768mb / Original 5 gig iPod / 512mb iPod Shuffle

Forum Links
Forum Rules