Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > wait for next revision before purchasing?

wait for next revision before purchasing?
videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2006, 08:25 AM

I am seriously considering a refurbished 15.4 with 256 mb vid card, but I keep reading about all these problems, the one that really gets me is the heat generated

should I wait?

thoughts from current owners appreciated

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2006, 08:51 AM

THis thread comes up every few days. The answer is this:

Do you really need the MBP NOW?

if Yes: Buy it.

if No: wait 2 months for the merom based MBP.

YOu are probably feeling the itch, the one that goes "oh oh but you want a new mac, you do, you want a mac, go on,m get one,it'll be ok, you wont have problems!...." but resist! if you dont need a new mac, wait for laet august early september - im betting on Paris Expo ont he 12th (?) os Sept.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

ael719
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2006, 08:51 AM

I decided to get a MacBook over the MacBook Pro because the problems with the MBP's are a bit frightening and the graphics card. It was a hard decision though... I had to be practical and tell myself that I didn't need the ATI x1600, because I stopped gaming 2 years ago.

If I were you and really wanted the MBP, I would wait for the next Revision to come out. I decided to take a risk and not wait by purchasing my MacBook. I got a 95% problem free MacBook except for the moo and heat. If you buy a MBP, you're risking getting a battery that can expand outside of its bay, heat, and farm noises.

Offtopic: I have a 60gig iPod video too and wish I went for the slimmer 30gig also! At first I ripped only my favorite dvd's which was only like 3 or 4. Now I plan on ripping at least half my DVD library just to fill this thing up.
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2006, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by ael719
I decided to get a MacBook over the MacBook Pro because the problems with the MBP's are a bit frightening and the graphics card. It was a hard decision though... I had to be practical and tell myself that I didn't need the ATI x1600, because I stopped gaming 2 years ago.

If I were you and really wanted the MBP, I would wait for the next Revision to come out. I decided to take a risk and not wait by purchasing my MacBook. I got a 95% problem free MacBook except for the moo and heat. If you buy a MBP, you're risking getting a battery that can expand outside of its bay, heat, and farm noises.

Offtopic: I have a 60gig iPod video too and wish I went for the slimmer 30gig also! At first I ripped only my favorite dvd's which was only like 3 or 4. Now I plan on ripping at least half my DVD library just to fill this thing up.

heh, I was actually thinking of the Macbook instead of the Pro as well, but I like to do some World of Warcraft often, I also wish I would have bought the 30GB iPod instead of the 60...ahh well

the plan is to give my intel iMac to the kids and use a Macbook Pro as my desktop with mobile options, I just keep hearing of all these problems, I should wait but I am a "instant gratification" kinda guy

we'll see, I still need to sell my Powermac first

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2006, 12:13 PM

I say wait for what you want if you like that form factor, especially if you can get buy with what you have. I would have certainly got the Macbook if it had at least 128 MB shared RAM. I don't see them ignoring such an upgrade in their next revision. The form factor is pretty much what I want, down to the glossy screen. Waiting and forum searching is interesting and a fun part of shopping for me anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules