Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook

MacBook
MacPC
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2006, 04:12 PM

Hi,

I am planning on buying a MacBook before X'mas, the white one with 1.83 GHz cpu, I can't spend too much money so I decided not to get the 2GHz one because I want to boot the RAM up to at least 1.5 G and install Paralle so that I can run Windows and OSX concurrently on it. I am wondering what the other users of MacBook think of this machine?

doniel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by MacPC
Hi,

I am planning on buying a MacBook before X'mas, the white one with 1.83 GHz cpu, I can't spend too much money so I decided not to get the 2GHz one because I want to boot the RAM up to at least 1.5 G and install Paralle so that I can run Windows and OSX concurrently on it. I am wondering what the other users of MacBook think of this machine?
You might wanna hold off for a little bit if you plan on buying it at a time close to christmas, because:
1. the Core 2 DUO macbooks are coming out right around that time.
2. the current macbooks are the 1st generation. It's well known that they are quite buggy (such as showing random shutdowns, palmrest discoloration)

MacPC  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2006, 10:41 PM

Thanks for the tip, Doniel, I will wait then, may be Santa will put it in my stocking.

clockworkwar
Oct 14, 2006, 04:25 AM

Thanks for the tip, Doniel, I will wait then, may be Santa will put it in my stocking.
He he! Good luck with that

You might wanna hold off for a little bit if you plan on buying it at a time close to christmas, because:
1. the Core 2 DUO macbooks are coming out right around that time.
2. the current macbooks are the 1st generation. It's well known that they are quite buggy (such as showing random shutdowns, palmrest discoloration)
You will probably get ranted at by someone, about 'the C2D is not a massive increase' blah blah blah. Just gonna warn you now!

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2006, 04:48 AM

Who knows, maybe even Santa Rosa will too...

Oh no, that's the MBP's '07...

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2006, 06:30 AM

F.U.D.
1. Core 2 Duos probably won't make it to the MB till spring, iMacs and MBPs will might get them first this winter. There isn't a big enough performance difference between Duos and 2Duos to worry about it anyway.
2. Any MB after week 30 or so doesn't have any reported problems.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

MacDuff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2006, 06:51 AM

Gotta agree with sieb on this one. The speculation is that Macbook Pros will be getting the Core 2 Duos before the Macbooks while the Macbooks will likely get them sometime into '07.

HouseSold
Senior User
Oct 15, 2006, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by MacDuff
Gotta agree with sieb on this one. The speculation is that Macbook Pros will be getting the Core 2 Duos before the Macbooks while the Macbooks will likely get them sometime into '07.

Only Apple knows how many Yonah-Core Duo processors are in inventory still, even though Intel reportedly will still produce them on a smaller production scale.

Who knows how many logic boards were changed that are really OK in attempting to fix RSS before the faulty heat sinks were discovered? Must be a graveyard stacked high with motherboards somewhere.

kikkoman
Senior User
Oct 16, 2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by HouseSold
Who knows how many logic boards were changed that are really OK in attempting to fix RSS before the faulty heat sinks were discovered? Must be a graveyard stacked high with motherboards somewhere.
Those motherboards will probably kept as spare parts or sold in refurbished systems.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2006, 10:56 AM

It's just never a good idea to buy something too close to MacWorld San Francisco. 'Course if you absolutely need something, that's different--but we're talking discretionary purchases here.

If Santa brings you something, don't sneer at it. Unless Santa can be educated about Steve Jobs' prediliction to introduce new models at the Expo?

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2006, 11:50 AM

If the OP can wait until late January then its a good idea to wait, if his need is more immediate then I suggest not waiting. Because of MWSF I don't think apple will release an update before then which means no new macbooks for Christmas.
Michael

HouseSold
Senior User
Oct 16, 2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984
If the OP can wait until late January then its a good idea to wait, if his need is more immediate then I suggest not waiting. Because of MWSF I don't think apple will release an update before then which means no new macbooks for Christmas.
Or we can watch Apple.com every Tuesday (what has become the sometimes typical announcement date) or read the rumor sites feverishly every day for tidbits (like do not open 'til Xmas syndrome)

soulboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2006, 02:51 PM

Well MPC you say you have a budget to work to and seem quite keen to get your hands on a Macbook. Think you have to ask yourself a couple of questions.
1. Will the current Macbook do what you need it to do?
2. Is the current Macbook c/w any ugrades you want within your budget?
If the answer to the questions is yes why not get one now and start to enjoy it?
If you do wait for the C2D,s the will the difference in speed be noticable enough to you for the applications you use it for? The current Macbook has had a lot of it's initial bugs ironed out, will the new one throw up it's own problems......faster cpu, more heat ? Also you have to remember that a replacement for the "new" Macbook will be out later next year in any case?..........and it will be faster, slimmer, different colour and may cook breakfast for you as well !!.....

Forum Links
Forum Rules