Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 2.2/2.4 MBP's Get REALLY Hot??

New 2.2/2.4 MBP's Get REALLY Hot??
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Jun 25, 2007, 02:43 PM

I am typing this from a brand new 2.2gHz MacBook Pro from my work. I have just been playing around as we just got some in not long ago. Now, let me tell you, this sucker is HOT right now. It's almost TOO hot for putting on your lap. Just wondering if anyone with the new MBP's are experiencing the same thing?
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2007, 03:54 PM

What's really hot? it seems most MB/MBP's are running in the range of 40c to 60c. I cannot find the link but there's also a kb article on apple that states that the notebooks should not be used on your laps because they do get hot.

Mine seems to be normal in that regard and it floats around 50c for most things until I really start banging away at it and then it warms up into the 70s (Celsius) before the fans kick in and drop the temps back down into the 50s/60s

gudrummer
Jun 25, 2007, 04:12 PM

I bought the 17 HD and it's hot....but never leaves my table.Istat pro shows 60-70 celsius when it's being pushed really hard,which seems normal to me.Fans running around 3000rpm.
MacBook Pro 2.4 17 HD
ACD 23

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Jun 25, 2007, 04:49 PM

I'd have to install iStat to check the actual temperature numbers, but basically it was hot enough that it would burn your bare leg most likely. It was running a Halo demo, so I'm sure thats why it was so hot. Still though, that's not good.

I still wanna buy one of the bad boys either way Only a couple pay checks to go...

*edit*

Installed iStat Pro. idle temps are around 45, but with Halo on it was at 60 for sure. Just seems a little too hot, and if it were my 'Book I would be a little worried. I know you can get Fan Control, but you shouln't NEED to.
( Last edited by drnkn_stylz; Jun 25, 2007 at 05:01 PM. )
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

gudrummer
Jun 25, 2007, 05:04 PM

Honestly,i have to trust that this is controlled and programed so i don't have to hack the fan control,and processors are made to withstand very high temps(core 2 duo can handle something around 90 or 94 celsius before shutting down,i think).My laptop has been on 24/7 for almost a week now and i had not a single problem with it,and i ran Rember for 24 hours straight and no lockups or anything.
MacBook Pro 2.4 17 HD
ACD 23

iamthebest22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2007, 05:16 PM

Okay guys, I talked to some people at my apple store about this, and this is their response:

"Make sure you have the back of your apple laptop at least 3-5 cm off from the table, that way it doesn't get hot that easily, it would still be pretty hot, but the dissipatation would be much faster. Yes it is controlled, but if you want to overclock and play games Like I do, I STRONGLY recommend getting a double fan (about 30-50 bucks) and putting it under your macbook pro. If no game or overclocking then just do what the apple guy said.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Jun 25, 2007, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by iamthebest22 View Post
Okay guys, I talked to some people at my apple store about this, and this is their response:

"Make sure you have the back of your apple laptop at least 3-5 cm off from the table, that way it doesn't get hot that easily, it would still be pretty hot, but the dissipatation would be much faster. Yes it is controlled, but if you want to overclock and play games Like I do, I STRONGLY recommend getting a double fan (about 30-50 bucks) and putting it under your macbook pro. If no game or overclocking then just do what the apple guy said.

Good to know. Thanks for the info!

ddma
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2007, 11:48 PM

Using 17-inch HD 4GB RAM running IMs, Mail, iTunes and normal web surfing. It's less hot compare with 1st gen MBP. By the way, the default fan speed is 2k rpm instead of 1.5k rpm now.

The stupidest user.
.ddma.SAY - http://www.didierma.com

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2007, 11:48 PM

Download smcFanControl and check temperatures. If idle temps (remember to wait till it has reached equilibrium, especially after heavy load operation) are 45-50C and it doesn't get hotter than ~75C when under heavy load (especially high GPU load) everything is perfectly normal. Those are also typical temperatures you'd get with the first generation C2D MBP. The original CD MBP ran even hotter though.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Jun 26, 2007, 12:37 AM

Wow, maybe the Pros run a lot hotter than the MacBooks. I push my MacBook quite a bit with Adobe programs and Parallels, and it gets pretty hot. However, I was not pushing that Pro and it was freakin' hot! A customer came by and was like "omg wtf this iz hott!!1".

Anyways, I use Fan Control, and it is great! Keeps my MacBook nice and cool

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 26, 2007, 12:41 AM

Visited the Apple store nearby and every floor model was sizzlin' just idling, including the 17"s. Really rubs me since several guys at work have Santa Rosa HP's that hardly feel warm top or bottom, both 15" and 17" and the $1K-$1.3K price range with 2gb ram. Granted they're Vista puppies with gloss black plastic shells and no personality (had webcams and 802.11n and decent sound), but they were T7200 and T7300. I still think the MBP's should run cooler in this edition than they do. I forgot to check graphics cards til tomorrow.

This one of the ones: Buy the HP Pavilion 15.4" Widescreen Notebook PC (DV6575US) and other Notebook Computers at circuitcity.com
( Last edited by HouseSold; Jun 26, 2007 at 12:50 AM. )

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 26, 2007, 12:47 AM

I'll 2nd the vote for fan control; my daughter's MacBook C2D stays 57-60, gets to 72 in Parallel or CS, but always drops down after. We do use it on a CoolPad stand for elevation and rotation only.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Jun 26, 2007, 01:09 AM

Those are better than the ones we have at my work. Do those have a 12 cell battery?

I'll never buy an HP though. I'm going to get me a 15" MBP very soon regardless. I guess I'll just need to run Fan Control.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jun 26, 2007, 01:49 AM

If these MBP get too hot I might have to wait for the next batch of MBP. For work I can spend a lot of time on the computer so I would hate to feel that I need to wear oven mitts just to use the laptop. Hopefully Apple can come up with a solution to this problem. My current PowerBook can get pretty hot too and I don't think I can tolerate a laptop that's even hotter.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Jun 26, 2007, 01:50 AM

Check out this thread as well for more information:

http://forums.macnn.com/69/macbook-p...brand-new-mbp/

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 26, 2007, 02:02 AM

I don't know how to tell on battery; here's the info:
HP Pavilion 15.4" Widescreen Notebook PC (DV6575US)

Mid-size notebook: The HP Pavilion dv6575us is a mid-size notebook, perfect for light traveling or staying at home. This model features a powerful dual-core processor as well as premium features such as a built-in webcam, TV tuner, remote control and blazing-fast wireless-N.

64-bit/dual core processing: The 2.0GHz Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7300 has two processing engines that work together, giving this processor much more power than standard 2.0GHz processors. This processor can also handle 64 bits of information at once, twice as much as older 32-bit processors. Intel Centrino™ technology further enhances mobile performance and battery life.

* This notebook features 2GB of advanced DDR2 system memory—enough for all but the most demanding users, gamers and multimedia professionals.

* Data travels along the frontside bus. The faster data travels, the faster everything works. This notebook has an 800MHz frontside bus.

* L2 caches keep data neat, organized, and nearby so processors can retrieve it quickly. This 4MB L2 cache is very large, giving the processor a potentially strong boost in performance.

Hard drive: The 200GB drive capacity offers more than enough space for the average collection of multimedia and software. This drive’s data disks spin at 4200rpm. The faster they spin, the faster the data is read and written.

Microsoft® Windows® Vista™ Home Premium: This is perfect for homes with advanced computer needs. And Vista Premium features the elegant new Aero interface. You’ll be able to use your notebook more effectively and enjoy new entertainment experiences—all with the benefit of added security and reliability.

Widescreen display: This 15.4” high-definition widescreen features 1280 x 800 pixel (WXGA) resolution, providing sharp detail and plenty of room for whatever you want to view.

Blazing-fast wireless N: Built-in 802.11agn wireless LAN lets you take advantage of the speed of the latest and fastest networks, as well as networks using the most popular standards.

DVD SuperMulti drive: Use this drive to burn DVDs and CDs to share your files, music mixes or home movies. You can even burn DVD-RAM discs—specially-formatted discs that let you drag and drop, or write and rewrite your files up to 100,000 times.

LightScribe disc-labeling: Burn custom, silkscreen-quality labels and images onto your discs with the same drive that burns the data.

High-performance graphics and audio: Enjoy vibrant scene rendering for 3D gaming and video editing with NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400 GS graphics, DirectX 10 support and 895MB shared video memory (128MB dedicated). Built-in Altec Lansing stereo speakers and stereo earbud headphones kick out great sound.

Built-in webcam/mic: Turn your next instant message into a live video chat with the webcam optimized for low-light environments , omni-directional microphone and IM solution of your choice. Or take still photos and short video clips that you can edit and email.

TV tuner: This notebook includes an ExpressCard NTSC/ATSC high-definition tuner so you can enjoy TV when and where you want it.

Easy access to music and movies: Dedicated external media and menu controls enable you to navigate your film and music files easily and quickly. You can even control playback from up to 10 feet away with the included ExpressCard remote.

Media card reader: Seamlessly transfer images from your digital camera, MP3 player or camcorder. This 5-in-1 reader is compatible with Secure Digital, xD, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro and MultiMedia Card.

Fingerprint reader: Use individual fingerprints in lieu of standard passwords to access online accounts, such as banks and email. If more than one person uses the notebook, each can use a fingerprint to logon to a computer user account and access preset preferences and files.

ExpressCard/54 slot: ExpressCard is an emerging standard in smaller, faster PC card solutions. This slot is compatible with ExpressCard/54 as well as ExpressCard/34. Use it to add memory, graphics upgrades and security devices—or to store the remote control.

Gigabit Ethernet port: If you’ve got a lightning-fast Gigabit Ethernet network, this notebook has a port that can keep up.

Elegant design: The high-gloss HP Imprint finish encases the elegant, curvilinear form and is more durable than traditional painted surfaces. It features the Radiance pattern that captures the emerging trend towards ornamental design. Radiance is an ornate mixture of ripples on a sea of radial lines speaking to the fluid way we’ve come to live and connect.

Get connected: One FireWire, one S-video and three USB ports let you connect to TVs, cameras, peripherals and more. Use the expansion port to connect the HP Expansion Base (sold separately).

Software bundle:
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium, Works, Office 2007 Student and Teacher Edition (60-day trial) and Internet Explorer
Norton® Internet Security 2007 (with 60 days of live update)
HP PhotoSmart Essentials and QuickPlay
Muvee autoProducer Basic Edition
Adobe® Acrobat Reader®
Roxio Creator 9 Basic
Real Rhapsody

I see the graphic card's an 8400 and it has an HD TV tuner also; seems like a good value and the guys that have it are extremely pleased.
Anyway, they don't have OSX, do they? Even though, for $1300.

iampivot
Jun 26, 2007, 08:01 AM

It seems to be the GPU that heats up these new MBPs. Look at that istat reading for the GPU diode.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 08:11 AM

I concur, from viewing istat pro on my MBP, the GPU's temps seem to be the culprit

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Jun 26, 2007, 01:36 PM

I agree as well. If you refer to my OP I was playing Halo at the time it was hottest.

lorenzo
Jun 28, 2007, 11:56 AM

Hi guys,

I'm completely new to macs, although have been dreaming about them for years.
But I read that 75°C is considered normal, not more.
My santa rosa 15 macbook pro gets easily to 82 or 83 when under heavy load (tried Cinebench).
Fans won't kick in (keep rotating at 2k) until 79 or 80 are reached, and then the machine stays at around 80 or 81 oing heavy load.
Fans kick up to 4500rpms.
I checked a friend's macbook (white, 2Ghz), and doing Cinebench it got to 78 or 79, but the fans kicked in earlier and got up to 6k.

Should I be worried by the temps?
Don't have a game to tax the system too much (I intend to play on it as well :-)

It's the only apparent downside... I LOVE my macbook pro, it is simply amazing...

Lorenzo

go.mouse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2007, 12:33 PM

I use smcFanControl to keep my 2.4ghz 17" MBP cool. I set the fan spinning at 4k rpm and the temperature can be kept around 40-42C. At default 2k rpm, the temperature is around 48-52C after using it for some period of time.
Macbook Pro 2.4 17"

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by go.mouse View Post
I use smcFanControl to keep my 2.4ghz 17" MBP cool. I set the fan spinning at 4k rpm and the temperature can be kept around 40-42C. At default 2k rpm, the temperature is around 48-52C after using it for some period of time.
I downloaded the app a week ago and it wouldn't run, some sort of error message saying it was on unsupported hardware. What version do you have?

Photios
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2007, 01:51 PM

Here's the link you need for the latest version. Though the Santa Rosa chipset is not officially supported, it should work just fine.

News

tzex2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2007, 05:04 PM

i went a retail store the other day and they had the old 15" MBP on demo. Its the version running the ati x1600. The unit was running a few hours before i got there. i tested the unit out and loaded a few applications and closed it and loaded the applications again and again. the unit seems to be running quite cool. I later found out the battery has been taken out of the unit. I also heard that ppl mentioned that the MBP gets pretty hot when charging. would the heat be the result of the battery? i dont have a MBP yet but i am just curious.

tzex2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2007, 05:07 PM

just like mobile phones, some of them get pretty hot when talking on it for 30 mins or so. the source of the heat are usually resulted from the battery. Just my observation. Can someone do a heat test with the MBP plugged into a power source vs one running on battery?

Forum Links
Forum Rules