Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > WCG Christmas race! Anyone interested?

WCG Christmas race! Anyone interested?
zombie67
Senior User
Nov 25, 2007, 02:39 AM

BOINC TEAM LEADERS & ACTIVISTS FORUM :: View topic - WCG Christmas race

Is anyone else interested in having Team MacNN participate? If so, please post a response.

WCG has projects that support PPC and Intel OSX, as well as Win and Linux. So we should be able to compete with all our machines.

In order for us to join, we need to have the Team MacNN founder on WCG sign us up, who is HouliWen. HouliWen, are you reading this?

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Nov 26, 2007, 04:19 PM

I am the only one interested in participating? Really? I see 35 views of this thread with no replies.

Edit: Also, in order to participate, it looks like I (we?) will have to join (or create) another team at WCG. At least temporarily. Which also means that our team will not get be getting the points earned during the race. I emailed the support alias at WCH to get the founder changed to me, but no response yet.
( Last edited by zombie67; Nov 26, 2007 at 04:41 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Nov 26, 2007, 09:33 PM

I've participated in races before, but my spare electricity budget is handling the team servers at present. I've dropped gentle hints to Scott about letting me run some DC clients on the servers; Web in particular is idle most of the time. Unfortunately, he hasn't said anything resembling "yes" so far. His answers to the question looked very different from the right response.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Nov 26, 2007, 10:37 PM

I actually stopped crunching on WCG. Something has changed in the past few months that has caused many lockups for mac users. In both tiger and leopard. Currently shifted over to climateprediction and so far, no lock ups there. Thinking the folks over at WCG changed something in there coding of WU's. For awhile, I thought it might be boinc causing the problems.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Nov 26, 2007, 10:44 PM

Hmm. I haven't experienced any of that (not saying it didn't happen). In any case, I do know that there are some issues right now with the HCC sub-project, especially with 8-way boxes. FWIW, I have chosen to not crunch HCC until those issues are resolved. But that still leaves many other sub-projects there to crunch.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Nov 27, 2007, 02:29 PM

A bit of news: I was made team founder on WCG. Not sure if HouliWen did it, or if the admins did it (I asked both in parallel). In any case, it is done, and we are entered in the race.

Billy
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2007, 12:57 PM

What is the best project to run with an Intel mac; Core Duo?

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Nov 28, 2007, 03:36 PM

Stay away from the HCC project for now. Problems with memory thrashing. All the rest seem to run fine. I have not benchmarked any of them, to see which provides the best credits.

Billy
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2007, 05:52 PM

Any idea on the best project for an Intel iMac Core Duo?

bearcatrp
Senior User
Nov 30, 2007, 10:41 PM

Climateprediction.net is working fine under tiger for me. Plan on trying it under leopard next round of wu's.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Dec 1, 2007, 06:48 AM

I think he meant which sub-project in WCG. Check out the spreadsheet on my downloads page. FAAH seems to be good across all platforms.

Billy
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
I think he meant which sub-project in WCG. Check out the spreadsheet on my downloads page. FAAH seems to be good across all platforms.
Huh? It looks like with your Intel machine, FAAH gets 18 c/h, but DDD is better at 19 c/h. I was looking at your OSX, 8-way (2x Xeon 5365) spreadsheet. Is there a difference with a Core Duo machine?

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Dec 2, 2007, 11:00 AM

After one day, we are in 8th place out of 110 teams. Not bad! But we could sure use some more help!

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Dec 2, 2007, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
Huh? It looks like with your Intel machine, FAAH gets 18 c/h, but DDD is better at 19 c/h. I was looking at your OSX, 8-way (2x Xeon 5365) spreadsheet. Is there a difference with a Core Duo machine?
I added a C2D iMac to the spreadsheet. Yes, some machines are slightly faster at other projects. But the only project that does well across them all is FAAH. And I don't feel like creating multiple device profiles.

Billy
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2007, 02:37 PM

I had 1 WU in DDD stop after about 1 minute and didn't change. There was no movement in the seconds used or anything. Activity monitor showed it running. I aborted that WU. Is this a common problem? Anything to do about it other than checking Boinc regularly?

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Dec 2, 2007, 05:41 PM

It is not common, but it does happen every once in a while. FYI, you don't need to abort it. Just quit/start BOINC.

Billy
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2007, 06:02 PM

Got another one today. Is someone working on fixing it?

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Dec 4, 2007, 09:57 PM

It's a known issue. You can read more about it here:

World Community Grid - View Thread - An OSX bug

Billy
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2007, 12:16 AM

It's a known issue. You can read more about it here:

World Community Grid - View Thread - An OSX bug
I read about it, but didn't get much enlightenment.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Dec 5, 2007, 03:34 AM

Basically it is a known issue, but low priority, hard to replicate, and no solution at this time.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Dec 9, 2007, 04:53 AM

Ack! LHC finally released some work (Win and Linux only). I (all of us) have to jump on that when it's available.

We started out in 7th place in the WCG race, jumped to 6th, and that is really impressive for the limited amount of team support! But are likely to drop down now.

So we really need some help in the WCG race from our mac machines! No conflict there. Come on folks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules