Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Permissions advice needed

Permissions advice needed
all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2010, 07:24 AM

Hi all,

I'm moving my previous files across from a backup and wondered about permissions.

My new user account has the same name as my old one, but I had permissions issues last time I tried to do this (some folders seemed to allow me to access them, others didn't - my Aperture library, for example). Is there something I could/should do to the older files before I transfer them over? Some sort of recursive ownership transfer, perhaps?

I've read that I'd be better off doing that sort of thing in Terminal than I would using the Finder, but some help in how to do it would be warmly welcomed!

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2010, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by all2ofme View Post
Hi all,

I'm moving my previous files across from a backup and wondered about permissions.

My new user account has the same name as my old one, but I had permissions issues last time I tried to do this (some folders seemed to allow me to access them, others didn't - my Aperture library, for example). Is there something I could/should do to the older files before I transfer them over? Some sort of recursive ownership transfer, perhaps?

I've read that I'd be better off doing that sort of thing in Terminal than I would using the Finder, but some help in how to do it would be warmly welcomed!
Hi there,
This reply may be too late for you, but have you tried a disk permissions repair before you moved your files across from the back-up?
On the other hand if you are logged in as administrator (you should be if you are the sole user) then check the offending files you don't have access to by using the 'Get Info' tab from the Finder drop down list. Highlight the file then go to Finder/Get Info
In the window that appears, click on Sharing and Permissions and you will see who has permission to Read & Write, Read Only or have No Access to the file in question.
As an administrator the short name of your home folder will appear at the top of the list in the 'Name' column and in the 'Privilege' column you will see that you should be able to 'Read & Write' to that file (or application if indeed that is what you are checking). If you see that you are able to 'Read Only' or have 'No Access' then you must change it to 'Read & Write.' Click on the padlock icon and enter your main login password in the resulting window in order to make changes. Alternatively, you can just rename the file, then the file will 'belong to you' because you renamed it and therefore automatically you will have Read & Write permissions over that file.
Of course you may already know all of the above - but if not, I hope it is of help!
Best
voicebox
"If you don't like the heat, don't go in the kitchen!"
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

all2ofme  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2010, 02:36 PM

Thanks very much for the reply, Voicebox.

I'd tried what you'd listed, but it wasn't practical for all of the files, as some of them needed special permissions. What seems to have helped is this:
Apple - Support - Discussions - Permissions locked folders ...

Hopefully it'll stick, and hopefully it'll help someone else if they find this later.

Nice day in London today, eh?

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2010, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by all2ofme View Post
Thanks very much for the reply, Voicebox.

I'd tried what you'd listed, but it wasn't practical for all of the files, as some of them needed special permissions. What seems to have helped is this:
Apple - Support - Discussions - Permissions locked folders ...

Hopefully it'll stick, and hopefully it'll help someone else if they find this later.

Nice day in London today, eh?
Hi all2ofme,
WOW! What a link! I felt I needed a degree just to read it!

On the other hand, I am glad you are sorted out - that's what these forums are for ..

And yes, it was a nice cooling day in London!

All best wishes,
voicebox
"If you don't like the heat, don't go in the kitchen!"
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

Forum Links
Forum Rules