Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Google Fiber Outages

Google Fiber Outages
ghporter
Administrator
Nov 20, 2020, 08:49 PM

My son’s Google Fiber has been up and down a lot lately. Which is bad because he works online from home... He winds up coming over to our house to use our much slower connection to work.

It seems there’s “some construction near a hub”, which is disrupting the fiber service. Hmmm.

So I’m interested in how reliable Google Fiber has been for other users, and if there have been outages, how Google has dealt with them - customer notification, customer service, “doing the right thing” (credits for lost days of service, etc.) and so on.

We still don’t have fiber-anything; being a gated community has some big (hidden) down sides, and this is one. Neither Google nor AT&T offers fiber here, though (at least Google) is literally all around us.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2020, 11:45 PM

I have Google Fiber WebPass; does that count?

If so, it's been great. Our building had one case of "scheduled maintenance" that took it down for like 15 minutes one time, but honestly I think that might have been the building management and not the service itself. No outages so far that weren't on purpose.

The speed, meanwhile, is unreal. 1 ms ping times, and occasionally I get something apparently low enough for speedtest.net to round it down to zero ms (Ookla should probably add an extra significant figure to that).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 24, 2020, 09:38 AM

There's a local company offering fiber about two blocks away from our neighborhood. Their prices and speeds are comparable to what I have now for cable internet, but we've had enough issues with availability that I'd switch to anyone else in a heartbeat.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Nov 28, 2020, 03:48 PM

Just to tie up some loose ends....

The outages were only during weekdays, which is consistent with “caused by nearby construction.” And they got everything cleared up by the end of last week (a week ago yesterday).

Our son hung out at our place Monday and Tuesday to make sure, but he packed his stuff up Wednesday and took it home. He is much more comfortable working in HIS place. And we’re more comfortable with it too.

So this really looks like it was a sort of one-off issue. I hope so. Now if I can just get Google to install in MY neighborhood!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules