Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Mac Pro wireless options

Mac Pro wireless options
bearcatrp
Senior User
Jan 18, 2008, 03:14 PM

Besides buying a air port card, what other options are out there for the mac pro. Remember seeing a usb one but can't remember who made it. I need 802.11n to stream to my apple tv. If your using something other than the installed airport extreme, chime in on your experience and costs. tnks
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

bearcatrp  (op)
Senior User
Jan 18, 2008, 04:15 PM

Did some searching here and on the net. Don't like the alternatives. The part number that I find doesn't show up at apple for sale so could someone point me to the right place to buy it? Could have the wrong part number too so if you happen to know the right one, would appriciate it. tnks
Randy

bearcatrp  (op)
Senior User
Jan 22, 2008, 11:24 AM

Can someone tell me if this is the right part:
The Mac Store: Airport Extreme Wireless Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro (pre-2008 release models) ( MA688Z/B )

There is no picture and seems cheap so thinking this is not. Appriciate any help.
Randy

rcarlosnyc
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2008, 06:39 PM

That is the correct part number. You can buy it from the Apple Store for less money than the site you posted. They will tell you it's not a user serviceable part and you need to bring your tower to the genius bar for them to do it for you. Just tell them your Mac Pro is already out of warranty and you know how to do it. I said that and they sold me two cards.

Follow this guy to install the part:

Adding Bluetooth and Wireless to a Mac Pro - Mac Guides

bearcatrp  (op)
Senior User
Jan 26, 2008, 01:07 AM

Thanks for the reply. Already ordered from small dogs electronics. I looked on apples web site and couldn't find the part. Paid 49 bucks. Found other sites asking 89 bucks for it. I wasn't sure on the part number but the folks at small dog were very helpful. The link you provided is better than the ones I have found with the close up pictures. Looks to be a fairly easy install. Just tight area to work in. Read alot of posts stating to hook the wires up first before attaching to the motherboard to make it easier. Thanks again.
Randy

rcarlosnyc
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2008, 02:35 PM

Yeah, correct. I did the install and it's hard to connect the wires with the card secured on the board. Your hand and fingers block the view and you can't see where to plug in the wire. I got them all connected by patients and luck.

bearcatrp  (op)
Senior User
Jan 30, 2008, 09:19 PM

Just finished installing it. What a PITA. Patients is an understatement. Glads its done.

Forum Links
Forum Rules